+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by texas1 View Post
    from Amarec getting the double screen. Yes, the SVideo is HDMI.

on virtualdub I tried various compression / format combinations but no luck to change this. Had to customize format to 1280x720 but sometimes the capture device would not accept.
    Cauptain may have some advice about this problem, since he owns an AVerMedia C027 and uses it with both AmarecTV and Virtualdub.

I don't have an AVerMedia C027, although I considered getting one and closely followed the threads about it posted at VideoHelp.

[Edit]Are you using an HDMI splitter that removes HDCP as a side effect, or some kind of modified driver that allows the C027 to ignore HDCP?
    yes, using HDMI HDCP splitter which feeds the C027. I'll uses Cauptain's methods today and report back. My older pc Gx745 required a videocard for th vga out because after putting in the C027 the monitor would not work. I wonder if that is the problem, but the vga out card works great otherwise, using it now to type this reply.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    from Amarec getting the double screen. Yes, the SVideo is HDMI.

on virtualdub I tried various compression / format combinations but no luck to change this. Had to customize format to 1280x720 but sometimes the capture device would not accept.
    Cauptain may have some advice about this problem, since he owns an AVerMedia C027 and uses it with both AmarecTV and Virtualdub.

I don't have an AVerMedia C027, although I considered getting one and closely followed the threads about it posted at VideoHelp.

[Edit]Are you using an HDMI splitter that removes HDCP as a side effect, or some kind of modified driver that allows the C027 to ignore HDCP?
    yes, using HDMI HDCP splitter which feeds the C027. I'll uses Cauptain's methods today and report back. My older pc Gx745 required a videocard for th vga out because after putting in the C027 the monitor would not work. I wonder if that is the problem, but the vga out card works great otherwise, using it now to type this reply.
    I don't think it is likely that the video card is the cause of the double screen problem. It seems more likely that the C027 can't lock onto the signal for some reason (driver problem?), or the capture software's settings are wrong.

One thing to note: it appears that Cauptain's example for AmarecTV is for 1080i capture. However, it looks like your cable box is set up to always output a 720p59.94 HDMI signal even if the channel's native resolution and frame rate are different. If so, the resolution and frame rate settings in AmarecTV software should be *w=1280, h=720, fps=59.94. fcc=YUY2, bit=16. Since the C027 doesn't have the ability to upscale or downscale the resolution or change the frame rate when capturing, the capture settings must match the HDMI signal it receives.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Oct 2015 at 09:38.
    Quote Quote  
  3. @usually_quiet

That's not true, I can change capture pin in VirtualDub and can either upscale or downscale resolution of the source. Same thing in AmarecTV, there you can even change frame rate but you get stutter etc. I think I've only seen double window when using 1280x720 and the source is 576 or 1080.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by badyu17 View Post
    @usually_quiet

That's not true, I can change capture pin in VirtualDub and can either upscale or downscale resolution of the source.
    No. In that case, the source device is doing the down-scaling or upscaling, not the C027 or the capture software.

Each capture pin corresponds to a different connection on the C027, so when you change the capture pin, you capture a from different connection. Even when they are from the same source device, they can carry different resolutions. For example HDMI or component video out from a cable box can (and usually does) carry a high-definition signal. The same cable box's S-Video connection or composite connection is limited to standard definition.

Same thing in AmarecTV, there you can even change frame rate but you get stutter etc. I think I've only seen double window when using 1280x720 and the source is 576 or 1080.
    So what's your point? It should be obvious from those defects that attempting to change the frame rate or resolution within the software doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. @usually_quiet

Sorry, but you are wrong, my device is always set at highest resolution and is never changing anything but I'm still able to capture using different pins from the capture card. I have many hours of recording with this card and this software and I'm talking out of my personal experience not some theory. Just to mention, my C027 is newer revision, not that older infamous one with the well known bug/exploit.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @usually_quiet

Sorry, but you are wrong, my device is always set at highest resolution and is never changing anything but I'm still able to capture using different pins from the capture card. I have many hours of recording with this card and this software and I'm talking out of my personal experience not some theory. Just to mention, my C027 is newer revision, not that older infamous one with the well known bug/exploit.
    So. you are saying you can run Virtualdub or AmarecTV with the resolution set to 1920x1080, using the C027's composite video/CVBS connection (576i25) as the only video source and the resulting capture file contains perfect 1080i25 video? I find that difficult to believe.
    Quote Quote  
  7. No, I was talking about HDMI only of course. My example, stb I have can't output 576i over hdmi but only deinterlaced 576p50 (internal deint filter) which looks subpar. The only way for me to get 576i25 is to set STB to 1080i which for some reason isn't deinterlaced and is sent over hdmi unchanged and then manually change capture pin to 720x576 in VirtualDub. C027 is sort of used as a poor man's downscaler. It's not perfect solution but it's better than some hardware devices that only record what they exactly receive. I know this because I also own HD PVR 2 and I can't do this with that device.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, I was talking about HDMI only of course. My example, stb I have can't output 576i over hdmi but only deinterlaced 576p50 (internal deint filter) which looks subpar. The only way for me to get 576i25 is to set STB to 1080i which for some reason isn't deinterlaced and is sent over hdmi unchanged and then manually change capture pin to 720x576 in VirtualDub. C027 is sort of used as a poor man's downscaler. It's not perfect solution but it's better than some hardware devices that only record what they exactly receive. I know this because I also own HD PVR 2 and I can't do this with that device.
    1080i is interlaced video. I don't know why you would expect progressive output when using that setting on the STB.

I think something else is going on, but let's see what Cauptain says.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Oct 2015 at 19:21.
    Quote Quote  
  9. LOL

Did you even read what I wrote? I never expected progressive output but the exact opposite, stb has 576i setting but only sends progressive video that looks bad and can't be fixed. The way I solved it was by using 1080i (stb upscaled it internally) and I can downres it using different capture pin from C027. Many stb's can't send 576i over hdmi, this is a well known thing. Google it if you don't trust me.

Also don't be so arrogant. Over the years I learned many things here from many members, probably including you so don't try to "teach" me basic stuff like "1080i is interlaced". No shit Sherlock.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL

Did you even read what I wrote? I never expected progressive output but the exact opposite, stb has 576i setting but only sends progressive video that looks bad and can't be fixed. The way I solved it was by using 1080i (stb upscaled it internally) and I can downres it using different capture pin from C027. Many stb's can't send 576i over hdmi, this is a well known thing. Google it if you don't trust me.

Also don't be so arrogant. Over the years I learned many things here from many members, probably including you so don't try to "teach" me basic stuff like "1080i is interlaced". No shit Sherlock.
    You didn't mention there was a 576i setting for the STB in your previous post. Many devices with HDMI connections only have a 576p setting, so I presumed that you meant there was no 576i setting for the STB.

My example, stb I have can't output 576i over hdmi but only deinterlaced 576p50 (internal deint filter) which looks subpar. The only way for me to get 576i25 is to set STB to 1080i which for some reason isn't deinterlaced and is sent over hdmi unchanged and then manually change capture pin to 720x576 in VirtualDub.
    Actually I did read what you wrote. Did you? Here it is again with the relevant parts highlighted.

It certainly sounds to me as if you were expecting deinterlaced video after selecting 1080i output.

Go stick your head in a bucket of icewater and cool off.

[Edit]As for the rest, I still suspect the STB is responsible for downscaling the video somehow.

If the C027 really could upscale and downscale video competently, that information would have come to light long before now. Cauptain would likely know if it does scale video.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Oct 2015 at 19:49.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I said "to set to 1080i which for some reason isn't deinterlaced" because some stb's also have 1080p50/60 output option. This one does not. I wrongly assumed that if it's deinterlacing 576i, it's probably doing the same for 1080i. That was not the case.

Of course c027 is capable of downscaling, when I bought the card on my first capture in VD it defaulted to 720x576 setting without any input from me even though the stb was outputting 1080i signal. Only after that I changed it to 1080i with capture pin setting when I actually wanted to record 1080i in actual 1080i. How is that possible if you claim that one capture pin is equivalent to one input port of the card? It's obvious that's not the case.

Same thing with amarec, you can actually see what capture resolutions are supported for each connection. See screenshot on previous page where it says "Format", you can see list of available "formats" aka *w=1920, h=1080, fps=25,00, fcc=YUY2, bit=16". That's what capture hardware is capable recording with its driver.

In my case it's not possible to downscale/upscale to 1280x720 formats, device just refuses to do it and is switching back to previous format BUT 576i>1080i is possible, 1080i>576i is possible. Just checked it in amarec few seconds ago.

I hope I'm more clear now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of course c027 is capable of downscaling, when I bought the card on my first capture in VD it defaulted to 720x576 setting without any input from me even though the stb was outputting 1080i signal. Only after that I changed it to 1080i with capture pin setting when I actually wanted to record 1080i in actual 1080i. How is that possible if you claim that one capture pin is equivalent to one input port of the card? It's obvious that's not the case.
    Here is a picture from a post containing the graph for the HDMI output of your card.

https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18268&d=1370566078

The term "pin" technically refers to the little nubs on the DirectShow filters, shown as boxes in a graph. I was doing the best I could to figure out what you meant by "I can change capture pin" and "capture using different pins from the capture card", since there is only one Capture pin in your card's Direct Show Capture filter, but there are multiple video inputs, which are also called "pins", I thought you meant the pins corresponding to video inputs.

As you can see in the filter graph, the Capture pin is one of the output pins on a Capture filter, but there is just one Capture pin . (The other output pins are typically the Preview pin, the Audio pin, and the VBI pin.) Rightclicking on a Capture filter in the actual graph in GraphStudio brings up properties window that usually contains the settings for resolution and frame rate for the selected video input on one of its tabs. The same resolution and frame rate settings in the property window are also accessible in Virtualdub and AmarecTV by selecting a tab in a dialog window

The input pins on a Crossbar Filter (XBar) represent physical inputs on the capture device.

[Edit 1] Just in case anyone is wondering why I'm bringing up Direct Show filters and graphs here, they are what AmarecTV and Virtualdub use "under the hood". [End Edit 1]

[Edit 2] I only have one capture device that encodes using software and have not used it for several months. I dug it out and created a filter graph for it. I found I can't set the video resolution in GraphStudio by left clicking on the Capture filter or any other filter in the graph. I can only set the video resolution in proper capture software (i.e. MPC-HC, Virtualdub, and AmarecTV). I must be remembering using the capture software to set the resolution rather than GraphStudio.[End Edit 2]

Same thing with amarec, you can actually see what capture resolutions are supported for each connection. See screenshot on previous page where it says "Format", you can see list of available "formats" aka *w=1920, h=1080, fps=25,00, fcc=YUY2, bit=16". That's what capture hardware is capable recording with its driver.

In my case it's not possible to downscale/upscale to 1280x720 formats, device just refuses to do it and is switching back to previous format BUT 576i>1080i is possible, 1080i>576i is possible. Just checked it in amarec few seconds ago.

I hope I'm more clear now.
    I would still like to know if others can reproduce your results
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Oct 2015 at 02:48.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i changed the AmarecTV to 1920x1280 and the screen normalized, no more split screen. Also has good audio on the screen preview. AmarecTV also required a download of Amv300i the AMV3 Video Codec Ver 300i http://www.amarectv.com/english/amv2_e.html

Maybe my DVR just outputs at 1080i, not sure.

Virtualdub - changed the Capture Pin to the same 1920x1280 (no more split screen) but there's no audio, so AmarecTV is preferable.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i changed the AmarecTV to 1920x1280 and the screen normalized, no more split screen. Also has good audio on the screen preview. AmarecTV also required a download of Amv300i the AMV3 Video Codec Ver 300i http://www.amarectv.com/english/amv2_e.html

Virtualdub - changed the Capture Pin to the same 1920x1280 (no more split screen) but there's no audio, so AmarecTV is preferable.
    There should be a way to change the cable box/DVR output to 720p for all channels. Which cable provider do you have? Maybe I can find the instructions for getting the correct menu on your DVR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Download UT VIDEO CODEC: https://www.videohelp.com/software/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite

Config like screenshot below:

For easy encode try RIPBOT264/HANDBRAKE/TENCODER

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM

There should be a way to change the cable box/DVR output to 720p for all channels. Which cable provider do you have? Maybe I can find the instructions for getting the correct menu on your DVR.
    time warner cable . I just rechecked the diagnostics and as Cauptain indicated earliers - the dvr is indeed set to "Output Format: 1920x1080i"
    Input is set to "1280x720p 60". I remember many years ago that maybe the twc tech made a housecall and manually reset some settings on the dvr - but maybe he had a company code/passwd.

I guess they don't let customers change it - there's a HDCP setting to YES , so I guess that's off limits as are other parameters. Maybe they can change it from home office tech support.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2 days ago the HDMI/YPbPr was "720p" and now it's "1080i". Does it depend on the last channel i was on?
    similarly, the input format is now "1920x1080i 30" when just minutes ago it was 1280x720p 60!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2 days ago the HDMI/YPbPr was "720p" and now it's "1080i". Does it depend on the last channel i was on?
    similarly, the input format is now "1920x1080i 30" when just minutes ago it was 1280x720p 60!
    Very strange but...

You can record on amarecTV now?

Lastest AmarecTV version: AmarecTV 3.10

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM

time warner cable . I just rechecked the diagnostics and as Cauptain indicated earliers - the dvr is indeed set to "Output Format: 1920x1080i"
    Input is set to "1280x720p 60". I remember many years ago that maybe the twc tech made a housecall and manually reset some settings on the dvr - but maybe he had a company code/passwd.

I guess they don't let customers change it - there's a HDCP setting to YES , so I guess that's off limits as are other parameters. Maybe they can change it from home office tech support.
    I found this: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/faqs/faqs-tv/on-screeng/theguide/how-do-i-ch...creen-res.html

and this http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2010/05/how-to-adjust-your-television-display-settings...program-guide/

"Auto" uses the channel's native resolution for HDMI output. The others set a fixed resolution for HDMI output.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you are using the "Auto" setting for the HDMI output resolution, which uses the native resolution for the channel that you are watching.

Cable boxes sometimes have a mind of their own. I no longer have a cable box, since I got a CableCARD tuner, but the default setting for my old Comcast box was 720p. I wanted to record at a channel's native resolution, but the HDMI output setting wouldn't stick. The cable box apparently reset itself to 720p every night.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by texas1 View Post

You are not required to use AMV3 codec with Amarec, you can use Ut video just as Cauptain said.

As for audio in VirtualDub, when you start capture go to audio>audio source> audio line. There's two of those and select second. After that check "enable audio playback" from the audio menu to see if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the time warner cablebox issue was resolved with a call to tech support. The output can be reset by pressing a series of buttons on the remote - power, cable, menu.

But now there are other problems.

I had a Pentium D but upgraded to Core2 Duo 2.67ghz as previously the preview screen had a staggered video. The CPU upgrade solved the screen stagger but now the raw data file is still staggered video. My old PC MOBO cannot take a better chip, so the Core2 Duo is the maximum.

So the video is staggered. I then attempted to author a 10 minute sample capture to disc by multiavch and imgburn. The result was terrible as the 10 min showed as 5min 30seconds and the audio was at hyperspeed! While authoring, multiavchd convered the MPEG Audio to AC3, perhaps that was the problem.

Can the C027 capture audio in AC3? I'd love that if possible, that's my ultimate goal MPEG2 60fps AC3. So, even buying a new i5 PC may solve my video stagger problem (although the C027 is supposed to work flawlessly with a Core2Duo) - but how to save in AC3?

I have not tried virtual dub or amaratec but will do so shortly.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a Pentium D but upgraded to Core2 Duo 2.67ghz as previously the preview screen had a staggered video. The CPU upgrade solved the screen stagger but now the raw data file is still staggered video. My old PC MOBO cannot take a better chip, so the Core2 Duo is the maximum.
    What software are you using for capture and which format are you using for encoding (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, or something else)? What do you mean by "staggered"? Do you mean the video stutters (playback is not smooth) or do you mean that you see combing (horizontal lines at edges of objects in the video)?

[Edit]What software have you tried for playing the raw capture file?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Oct 2015 at 16:49.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my default play is WMP but I did an Open with an used VLC with the same staggering (stuttering) playback. It plays for 0.5 seconds pauses for 0.01 seconds , repeat.

My system conforms to their requirements --- Core2Duo 2.67 (they want 2.40 Core2duo). I have 4.0gb Ram (2.5 usuable due to graphics card I suppose) they want 2.0gb. I have a couple of extra memory sticks , perhaps that will make a change, not sure.

the item that's troublesome (along with the playback) is the lack of AC3 on MPeg2 and then when authored the audio and video go into hyperspeed as noted. Very strange.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Again. what software you are using for capture? Is it RECentral , Aver Media Center. AVerMedia Center 3D, or something else? What encoder are you using with the above software (MPEG-2, H.264, etc)
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    for capture - the Avermedia Center 3d. Set to Mpeg2 which only allows Mpeg Audio.
    I also tried Virtualdub and got the same stutter effect.

I had 2 x 2gb RAM = 4gb ram ddr2 pc5300 667 speed. But the PC indicated only 2.50gb usable.
    I put in another 1gb stick ddr2 pc5300 but incredibly it showed 5gb but reduced to only 2.00gb usable!
    I tried all types of combinations of slots but same 5.0 / 2.00 usable. Then put in a second 1gb stick and got 6.00gb ram but the same 2.00gb usable.
    Amazing isn't it? I put in more memory and the usable memory declines!

Avermedia indicates minimum requirements of Core2Duo 2.0 and 2gb ram. I meet thes minimums . Perhaps I need to waste some more money and get a used i5 desktop, typically around her for $200 -$400 minimum.

At this point, i'm baffled by why this is not working.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    for capture - the Avermedia Center 3d. Set to Mpeg2 which only allows Mpeg Audio.
    I also tried Virtualdub and got the same stutter effect.

I had 2 x 2gb RAM = 4gb ram ddr2 pc5300 667 speed. But the PC indicated only 2.50gb usable.
    I put in another 1gb stick ddr2 pc5300 but incredibly it showed 5gb but reduced to only 2.00gb usable!
    I tried all types of combinations of slots but same 5.0 / 2.00 usable. Then put in a second 1gb stick and got 6.00gb ram but the same 2.00gb usable.
    Amazing isn't it? I put in more memory and the usable memory declines!

Avermedia indicates minimum requirements of Core2Duo 2.0 and 2gb ram. I meet thes minimums . Perhaps I need to waste some more money and get a used i5 desktop, typically around her for $200 -$400 minimum.

At this point, i'm baffled by why this is not working.
    I looked at the system requirements for HD MPEG-2 capture in the AVerMedia Center 3D manual, and they are Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz. On the AVerMedia Center 3D webpage, it does say 2GB RAM. Minimum system requirements are usually too low for a real world system and you are pretty close to the minimum.

You are apparently running a 32-bit version of windows, so adding more RAM won't make a difference. You would need to upgrade to a 64-bit OS in order to use all of the the 4GB of RAM that you have now, let alone use more.

Stuttering indicates dropped frames. Dropped frames have two likely causes. One is that the CPU can't keep up with encoding, which is possible in your case depending on what else is going on in your PC while you are capturing. The other reason is the hard drive can't keep up. The hard drive may not be able to keep up if there is only one internal hard drive in the PC which is used for both capture and the OS, or the capture drive is an external USB 2.0 hard drive connected to a USB port that is running at USB 1.0 speeds.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Oct 2015 at 11:54.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmm.. i have to reinstall Win7 to a 64bit version? That's expensive of course and very time consuming. I'd like to know if anyone out there Cauptain or others, is running 32bit Windows and what kind of cpu/ Ram. The website you linked indicates P4 3.0 HT just to record MPEG2., although the actual cardboard box I purchased wants Core2Duo 2.4 which I have 2.67.

I'm only using 1 hdd and running nothing , maybe chrome browsing, that's it.

other than that, even if all the HW issues resolved, it's still going to MPEG audio, not ac3.

anyone use c027?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if i go 64 bit, will my other apps (imgburn, multiavchd etc) continue to work? What about Office? i'm not a computer expert so i worry about how the pieces will fit together. But I still am not sure that C027 absolutely requires 64bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if i go 64 bit, will my other apps (imgburn, multiavchd etc) continue to work? What about Office? i'm not a computer expert so i worry about how the pieces will fit together. But I still am not sure that C027 absolutely requires 64bit.
    Yes, all work.

Absolutely?? Yes, change to Windows 64bits.

More ram is need for it.

Claudio
    Quote Quote