VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all

I would really like some help in working out how to watch a dvd with a timer overlay, to hundreths of a second.

Can anyone recommend software that does it or a dvd player that will do it.

I want to watch horse races, and be able to time to 1/100 at certain intervals

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unless the video was shot, edited, and shown at (multiples of) 100fps, it is not possible to do what you want.

Most video you see is shot/edited/shown at 24, 25, 30, 50, or 60fps (and fractional variations). This means the smallest incremental time change that can be accurately shown would be 1/24th, 1/25th, 1/30th, 1/50th, or 1/60th of a second.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for that.

Can you or anyone recommend a viewer/software etc that is most suited to what I am after?
    It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, although the closer the better obviously
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try MPV. Click a time info on OSD and you'll get an extra second.

http://mpv.srsfckn.biz/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Any video editor supporting frame by frame navigation (Virtualdub etc) - and as Cornucopia pointed - highest accuracy of video is 1 frame - so if there is 50 frames per second then your lowest time unit is equal to 40 milliseconds - for higher time accuracy you need to use camera designed for fast frame rates.
    Quote Quote