VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Sp I got the Extreme7+ and a Samsung EVO 850 SSD.

I can't install Windows 7 x64. It simply refuses to format the drive.
    I keep getting 0x80070057.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

I have no idea why win 7 won't format the drive, and i figure you are referring to the formatting stage during the installation.

Have you got an external Hdd caddy, one of those small boxes that you can slip your Hdd or SSD into and power it up connected to your computer via USB cable.

If you have, then you can put the SSD into the dock, let windows detect it, go to Disk manager, and click on that drive, and format it to NTFS and just give it a name (i title mine Win 7) and when its done, put that SSD back into the machine you are installing onto, and when you get to the part to select the drive to install onto, you just highlite that drive and click NEXT, and win 7 should just start installing to that drive, because it will already know it has been pre-formatted.

Just for the record, the reason why i always pre-format every Hdd that i install windows onto is because windows will then not create that 100mb System partition on the HDD, if you put in a new Hdd that has not bee formatted, windows will create that small System partition automatically.

Windows 10 will actually create a 500mb System partition on a new Hdd that has not been pre-formatted prior to a custom/clean installation, not sure why it is so big, but anyway.

Give it a try, see how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

Google tells me this problem is sometimes caused by a defective SATA cable. Changing to a different SATA connection on the motherboard may also fix the problem. A defective SSD is another possibility.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the bad SATA cable issue. That wasn't it. Or so I thought...
    I replaced it again. Now it's fine.
    I've never seen a bad SATA cable before! I'm thinking SSD drives are just really picky.

Windows 7 installed fine, and I'm now setting everything up. It'll probably take me another week!

Thanks guys! (gals?)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I tried the bad SATA cable issue. That wasn't it. Or so I thought...
    I replaced it again. Now it's fine.
    I've never seen a bad SATA cable before! I'm thinking SSD drives are just really picky.

Windows 7 installed fine, and I'm now setting everything up. It'll probably take me another week!

Thanks guys! (gals?)
    SSD drives are capable of significantly higher data transfer rates than conventional hard drives. So, yes a slightly imperfect cable/connector that works fine with a conventional HDD might not work with an SSD,
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

EDIT: I see it was a bad cable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just as an update, this is running smoothly.

It has a pair of 4tb Seagate, with APM set to performance with CrystalDiskMark. The main SSD is for OS and encoding temp/scratch space.

Old Avisynth projects that were 1-3fps are now 7-10fps, and remember that fps is base 60 math (time), it's about 5-6 times faster, which is what I originally calculated. Overnight encodes are now day tasks.

This was primarily for encoding and restoration, with some need for FFT image filtering, and it seems to be quite nice now.

It is extremely, extremely quiet. The loudest items are the hard drives. I'm still working on the best APM settings, and the best suspend settings for when the drives are idle.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Good to know that you are happy with your new system
    Glad we were able to help
    Quote Quote