VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have both the Panasonic 7750 and Panasonic 1980 decks and due to an upcoming move can only keep one of them. I am a novice and only use the decks to transfer home and friends VHS tapes to my computer. I generally gravitate to the 1980 as it is lighter and gives good results. Am I giving up a lot of features that I am not aware of if I sell the 7750???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Simple, keep the one that gives good results. The end result is the most important factor.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Seriously?....no room for a 2nd VCR....ANYWHERE? Are you moving into a Barbie Funhouse?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As per the features of the 7750, AFAIK, it's one of those high end decks - but too high end. What this means is that it only gives good results with only high end stuff. It likely sucks with stuff like tapes with EP TV recordings (or may not even accept them). What you'd miss out with the 7750 is maybe an edge with high end tapes.

But then again, what is a "high end" VHS tape anyway? And what real edge would a 7750 really be over a 1980, which can give good results on a high end tape, AND deliver on low end tapes as well.

Here's my take:

If you want performance on only high end tapes - keep the 7750.

If you want overall performance, on a variety of tape source - keep the 1980.

If you want space - keep the 1980 (which is also heavy enough).

If you want reliability - keep the 7750. Your 1980 should begin malfunctioning soon enough, likely sooner than the 7750, and won't revive without an expensive procedure of replacing caps - electronic surgery - which is arguably not always effective with the 1980.

If you want a higher sale price - sell the 1980. At least you'll make some money before it begins to die.

But where are you moving anyway? Is it really that small? You can't stack them on top of the other, or is the ceiling that low?
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Ceilings are 9' so should not be a problem……. no sense having two units and really needed the opinion of others as to which one to keep. To answer a couple of points I never seem to do very high end tapes so the 1980 is looking like a better for my fit.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mainline View Post
    no sense having two units and really needed the opinion of others as to which one to keep.
    Yes, there is plenty of sense in keeping both. What do you think you'll be able to get nowadays if one of them borks? The longer they're in use, the tougher it will be to get even a low-end $25 replacement.

Who says both of them have be hooked up at the same time?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Who says both of them have be hooked up at the same time?
    I should have gone with my first instinct.....a time-waster just talking to hear himself talk.
    NEXT.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Unless this pressing need to thin the herd is being pushed by a domestic partner, the most sensible option is to keep both. PuzZLeR gave excellent advice that I totally agree with: the AG1980 is much more compatible/helpful on a wider variety of tapes, but has an internal suicide clock that could very well kill it unexpectedly at an inopportune moment. The AG7750 has great build quality/reliability, but pretty much no other advantage over the AG1980 whatsoever. The AG7750 also weighs a ton and lacks a cult following on eBay, so would be very difficult to sell off unless you luck out with someone local. If you have to ship it, forget it: the small amount of money you'd make on the deal isn't worth the effort to pack the thing, or the tremendous risk it would get borked in transit leaving you with a net $ loss. So just keep it as an emergency spare: if necessary, flip it on its side, throw a cloth over it, and make into an end table.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ahh, I sense Orsetto nailed the REAL problem here - "domestic partner".
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks all for your valued opinions……. I just might keep both for the time being and I will float the end table idea for the 7750.
    Quote Quote