VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using a macbook pro and wanted to know what’s the best software for re-encoding videos at the best quality with the smallest file output size? I’ve tried Xilisoft, Wondershare etc and such, but they don’t cut it for me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanx Baldrick. I forgot to mention in my last post that I first convert the dvd videos to .mkv with makemkv. Would Handbrake still be the best option?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't actually convert the dvd video to anything when you used makemkv. It just takes the existing video and audio streams and repackages them in a .mkv container. A file extension doesn't tell you what format or codec video there is.

I think handbrake is the best option as well, it has a very good balance of power and ease of use. It ain't a one click program but those options are where the quality is. It's very well documented too, which is why I would recommend it (and avidemux).

If you really want video quality and ease of use, though, the best thing is probably still Makemkv and more hard drives. A lot of people who try encoding may find it's not worth the time to learn it for them. There's a limit to how much I want to get into it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanx for the info Hoser Rob.
    Quote Quote