VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible to reverse the procedure of capturing some content from broadcast
    made as an AVI?

The original is much larger (for me than a normal size) to have on disk.

Previously I have tiried to simply load the AVI into Auto Gordian Knot and ask for a resize.
    This produced unacceptable sync problems with audio. It just wouldn't work.

But I've used Handbrake to resize a TS folder from a similar screen capture with good success.

The capture tool used is freemake from freemake.com.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What format did you capture in? 'AVI' is just a container name with many, many formats possible.
    Use MediaInfo to find the actual audio and video codec/formats used.

Some sync problems are caused by variable rate audio or video formats.
    Constant rate will make a slightly larger file, but much easier to convert without sync problems.

Transport Streams are usually MPEG-2, not AVI type files.

If Handbrake will accept the file, then that would seem to be the easiest method for conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    What format did you capture in? 'AVI' is just a container name with many, many formats possible.
    Use MediaInfo to find the actual audio and video codec/formats used.

Some sync problems are caused by variable rate audio or video formats.
    Constant rate will make a slightly larger file, but much easier to convert without sync problems.

Transport Streams are usually MPEG-2, not AVI type files.

If Handbrake will accept the file, then that would seem to be the easiest method for conversion.

I am back on this job and today have taken the original AVI, loaded it into Vidcoder (the Handbrake GUI variation) and set a new constant quality of 25 and matched the original 25 frames per second from Media Info with the Vidcoder/handbrake audio/video. If I can get an mkv container out of this operation I may be able to get some good edits/splits udinf MKVmerge.

I have practiced on a scratch file to get a split using MKVmerge and that looks good.

All these things can be done to some degree in Virtual Dub. But what editor/viewer can be used for mkv etc? I simply don't know if mkv will load into Virtual Dub but I don't recall it being possible. 'Preview' and such in Handbrake do not give the detail Vdub does particularly with detailed frame number or fractions of seconds. Keyframe is another issue.

What I've run into previously is audio going way out of sync in these edits I've been doing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also try AVIDemux as it works similar to VD. I have a Matroska plugin by fccHandler in VD and it seems to accept my MKVs. But I haven't really done any editing on them.
    http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/Plugins/Matroska/
    Quote Quote