VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, i normally use MPC-hc for playback of all my older Dvd MPEG2 program streams, and my HD MP4 files, but i noticed today on my windows 8.1 desktop and a laptop with Win 10, that the Windows Media Player will not play the Video track of the Dvd MPEG2 files, just the audio track.

Can someone please tell me which codec i specifically need to install for WMP to play these files.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Why not continue using Media Player Classic Home Cinema or VLC for your DVD's?

Microsoft removed support for mpeg2 decoding in their newer operating systems, since they didn't want to continue paying royalty fees. They did offer a limited DVD Player for those who upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 who also had Windows Media Center, but unless you got that when you upgraded, there is no other way to get it for free, and it certainly isn't worth buying.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You would need a mpeg2 codec. Try this one, but no guarantee that WMP will accept it: Stinkys MPEG2 Codec.
    But I would probably try ffdshow instead as it can also play back other formats.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Why not continue using Media Player Classic Home Cinema or VLC for your DVD's?
    Yes as i said i usually use MPC-hc to play back my MPEG2 and MP4/MTS/MKV video files, and it is great, and i will continue to use it, all i wanted to know was what codec i needed for WMP to play stand alone MPEG2 program streams (not actual DVD's as you suggested)

I actually don't mind WMP personally purely as a media player, and i recall now that on my previous editing PC that had windows 7, WMP would play MPEG2 programs stream files but i had to install either some codec, and i could not remember which one it was.

I currently have the following items installed, but i only get the Audio track from the MPEG2 files.

ffdshow x64 (1.3.4515)
    FFmpeg (windows) for Audacity 2.2.2
    Haali Media SPlitter

Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    You would need a mpeg2 codec. Try this one, but no guarantee that WMP will accept it: Stinkys MPEG2 Codec.
    Wow that is a 15 year old codec not supported, think i will give it a miss, but i did update my ffdshow to the current 2014 version, still no go with MPEG2 in WMP, but its ok, not bothered by it, was more curious than anything else.

cheers
    Last edited by glenpinn; 10th Oct 2015 at 19:35.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Win7DSFilterTweaker + LAV Video, problem solved.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Win7DSFilterTweaker + LAV Video, problem solved.
    I recall now that the LAV Filter was the software that i had used with my old windows 7 to play MPEG2 in WMP, so thanks for the reminder, and i just updated from the previous 0.51.3 version that i have stored in my Software folder to the new 0.66 version, and it works.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  7. For ffdshow, I think you have to configure/enable the mpeg-2 ffdshow setting.

Someone figured a way to install Windows DVD Player (KB3081704) for free in Windows 10 that will enable mpeg-2 codec:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps/did-not-get-w...f2eebed?auth=1

I purchased Windows DVD Player to save myself the hassle in the future. I prefer the mpeg-2 codec that comes with DVD Player over installing codec packs, and it works great with Windows Media Center (in Windows 10).
    Quote Quote