VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I have a few questions

Firstly, i've been trying to hardcode some subtitles (srt) to an mpg file. I've used Handbrake and the subtitles are burnt onto the image fine and at the right time, except that there is a character ( á ) that doesn't show up and instead shows up as á (the rest of the subs are in English). The subs are saved as UTF-8 and when I loaded them before as an external subs file the character appeared as it should. Should I be saving this as a different filetype or be entering a different character(s) in place of á?

Secondly, the last 4 subtitles have not been burnt onto the output file. I have no idea why, the times are all right and the rest of the subs are at the right times.

Thirdly, is there any way to lose minimal quality on the conversion from mpg to mp4? the mpg file is 314mb and comes out as 76mb in mp4.

Should I not be using Handbrake? If not which is the best to use? VLC hardcoding didn't prove successful, nor avidemux.

Sorry if this is repeating a lot of threads, I've read lots of forums but can't find anything that specifically answers my question

Thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Open the srt with subtitle edit and try the fix common error wizard. See http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/Help#fixcommonerrors . Or else try replace the char á with something else...maybe just a'.

You could also try hardcode with xmedia recode and see if it handles utf-8 better. It might be a bit tricky to get it working but check https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/373379-How-to-burn-in-hardcode-srt-with-Xmedia-Recode .

And lower the Constant quality/quantizer value under the video tab for better video quality. Try 15 instead 20. Use the high profile also. In xmedia recode you find the Constanst quality under Video and Rate control mode.
    Quote Quote