VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My question is, Which device capture audio in best quality?
    I know, that's strange question but I want choose some capture device and most important for me is capture audio in best possible quality.
    Video quality is for me lower priority.
    I prefer devices which don't need PC for recording and I thought about AVerMedia EzRecorder 130.
    Thanks in advance for your sugestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you capture directly from the sound card's line in? You can capture video separately if you can somehow send the audio through the card via 3.5mm or with a cable adapter that does so.

If you're capturing simple stuff, like analog TV, VHS, audio cassettes, etc, then all you need is a sound card that only supports 48Khz, 16bit, stereo. In this category I have yet to determine any capture stick's ability to be better than an internal card. Asus comes to mind as a very good and very inexpensive option.

For higher end audio, just get a card that has beefier specs or let someone else take over here as I'm not an audiophile.

As an aside, be careful if using a pre-amp/equalizer/mixer in the chain as it can cause clipping if you're not careful.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    Can you capture directly from the sound card's line in? You can capture video separately if you can somehow send the audio through the card via 3.5mm or with a cable adapter that does so.
    If you're capturing simple stuff, like analog TV, VHS, audio cassettes, etc, then all you need is a sound card that only supports 48Khz, 16bit, stereo. In this category I have yet to determine any capture stick's ability to be better than an internal card. Asus comes to mind as a very good and very inexpensive option.
    I forgot about it, I want record HDMI devices like HD recivers. I forgot write about it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As per capturing at the HDMI level, I can't see how there could be any audio quality differences. The factors you may want to consider are HDCP, reliability, or any conversion penalties along the way.

Unless you're not dead-set on the device you mentioned, you can shop around first, and you can look into Hauppauge, StarTech and BlackMagic, also well spoken of in most reviews.

Which is best? This is a huge debate, and there is much discussion of each if you do a search.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for helpful answer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, hope it helps. You do understand that there would be varied opinions on this online. But I would indeed emphasize on reliability, simplicity, encryption, any conversions under the hood, and what your source is, before even considering "audio quality".

Ok, maybe price may be an issue for some.

As per the brands I've mentioned for HDMI capture, I'm not sure if you can add Asus into the mix at this level, but throughout the years their sound cards have been excellent for me at the lower levels.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most HDMI capture devices (including the EZRecorder 130) can only capture 2-channel AAC audio sampled at 48kHz from HDMI.

Happauge has simplified the posted technical specs for their HDPVR 2 line of capture devices so the average teen-aged video gamer can understand them. However, from have I read in the past, if a Hauppage HD-PVR 2 (the non-gaming version) or a HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus (not the regular Gaming Edition) receives 5.1 channel AC3 audio via HDMI, it can be set up to either capture 5.1 channel AC3 audio or 2-channel AAC audio. If it receives LPCM audio, it captures 2-channel AAC audio. The HDPVR 2 line doesn't work for digital audio input other than AC3 and LPCM, as far as I know

Hauppauge's Rocket (their only stand-alone HDMI capture device) can only capture 2-channel AAC. I would not recommend it for anything other than video game capture and streaming. It deinterlaces interlaced video input, but can't capture 1080i50 as 1080p50. It captures 1080i50 as 1080p25, discarding half the frames that proper deinterlacing would provide.

Note that none of the capture devices above capture HDCP protected input.

[Edit]I'm not sure if any of the above would allow audio-only capture.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Oct 2015 at 12:23. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't know if audio only via HDMI is a requirement or not, but if not, the Atomos recorders can capture LPCM. Not sure about multichannel though. And a good deal more expensive.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so I define a good quality as more than 18khz in audio spectrum. Click image for larger version

Name:	example.png
Views:	304
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	33986
    And I'm not afraid about HDCP, 'cause I have splitter which worked like I saw in other users of capture cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it true that, at least most, HDMI audio capture devices apply some sort of conversion under the hood? Much depends on source of course, but this would be much more true with AAC output.
    Quote Quote