VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some old VHS tapes from many decades ago and want to transfer them to computer. I have the hardware capture device, the software (PowerDirector), and a 4-head VCR. I watched the tapes and some go light and dark when playing...but it wasn't like that when it was created. I assuming that maybe the magnetic stuff has been degraded over the decades??? Unsure if I should just capture them the way they are and work on them. These are not priceless memories, but some are of loved ones that are not here no more...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you offer a sample to demo the light and dark, or can you describe it a bit more?

Does this occur when playing the tape on a regular TV, or with different VCRs?

I wouldn't firstly say that it's your tape that is the problem, although it may have its issues after all these years. But, I'm thinking that maybe you need time base correction in your setup.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sounds like Macrovision to me.

If it is, then you will have to find a way around it. I believe some capture devices have third party drivers which ignore MV. I believe this is what I am doing, although my capture card (PCTV Pro) may just ignore MV. There are also some hardware devices which strip MV.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This seems to be when playing the VHS tape in any vcr...the tapes are kodak gold and all are home movies from camcorder...they were copied from VHS-C tapes (originals) to VHS tapes back in the early 90s...since these originals are from mid to late 80s (VHS-C)....some I still have (VHS-C) and some I don't (just VHS transfers)...I have not yet viewed the VHS-C tapes, because I can't find my VHS-C adapter to put them in, so I can't tell you if its just the VHS tapes themselves or both....I will capture a portion and upload a sample....were do I upload the sample or just post screen shots?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand how MacroVision would be on VHS-C tapes or VHS blank tapes when I bought them new for home movie purposes? I thought MV was on commercial tapes so you can't copy them? This isn't my case, I don't believe...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by slee02 View Post
    I don't understand how MacroVision would be on VHS-C tapes or VHS blank tapes when I bought them new for home movie purposes? I thought MV was on commercial tapes so you can't copy them? This isn't my case, I don't believe...
    Yes, but you didn't say that initially. dphirschler's guess was pretty fair given the information.

You can attach files smaller than 100mb to your post.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by slee02 View Post
    I have some old VHS tapes from many decades ago and want to transfer them to computer. I have the hardware capture device
    Which one? Some of them are sensitive to bad sync levels that throw off the automatic gain control. A frame synchronizer and/or processing amplifier can often clear it up.
    Quote Quote