VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I am looking for a software that can take one software and copy it exactly onto another computer.

I have several laptops, and for convenience, one is lighter for carrying around and i'd like to copy a piece of software to it without having to reinstall it again on it along with all the other components that I purchased. There was a lot of setting up the separate components. Plus, I don't recall all the components that I installed within the software suite.

Is there anything out there that can take a software installation from laptop A and duplicate it onto laptop B ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that would be nice for warez people for sure. but no you can't copy purchased software from one computer to another even if you are the owner. it has to be installed on the other one.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And aside from installing again, as noted above, the license for a given software only applies to a single computer. Legally, you need a new copy/license for each computer.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just try and copy the installed folder to a usb and copy it to the laptop and start it up and input any license key it might ask for,not all software is tied to one computer,also check to see if it can be on more than one computer.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    Hi. I am looking for a software that can take one software and copy it exactly onto another computer.

I have several laptops, and for convenience, one is lighter for carrying around and i'd like to copy a piece of software to it without having to reinstall it again on it along with all the other components that I purchased. There was a lot of setting up the separate components. Plus, I don't recall all the components that I installed within the software suite.

Is there anything out there that can take a software installation from laptop A and duplicate it onto laptop B ?

be warned that if you run both computers with the same software and both use the same license key
    you might end up blacklisting your license key if you run them the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some software lets you install up to 3 different computers so just read what the software says about doing that.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As above, portable (ie just a folder install) programs can be easily moved but anything that uses temporary folders, registry etc. is a non-starter.

Unless you want to clone your entire drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let me explain...

laptop A is my main workhorse. I do all my programming on it through a USB 3 mem stick. This has been working great since I managed to get the USB mem stick all worked out. Now, I want to mirror this to another more lighter weighted laptop for easier portability or carrying around.

The license is not an issue. It is dephi xe7 professional. I have it running on multiple laptops. Unfortunately, only the laptop A is fully loaded with all the components that I purchased and installed separately (over time) etc. Many times they don't install correctly or are a heart-ache to get installed. And I can't remember all that. Also, XE7 takes over 6 hours to install, every time. The installer is not user friendly and does not account for special situations, like low C: drive storage, such as a 32GB notebook for instance, which leave you with aprox 15GB after the install of XE7. That's the base part of the first initial (license) install of XE7 which then leaves you with less then 6GB. Then you have to install the (license) mobile for android / apple components parts (so you can develop apps for those platforms) which requires a min amount of 7GB to 10GB depending on which selections I make in the install.

Unfortunately, I can't get the XE7 with mobile support installed due to this low storage left after the initial install on the notebook. This is the installation "caching" to the C: drive requirement--thanks to the design of the installer. I read somewhere that the root C: drive was hardcoded in the installer. So, you can't set it to another drive. I've tried different things in the installer but so far does not work.

* here is a an example. the installer's caching took roughly 4GB from what I already had left and bringing it to that 5GB.
    Last edited by vhelp; 6th Oct 2015 at 08:27.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It won't fit, without removing a bunch of other folders, which you could probably copy, delete, and replace, with some caution, but install the extra components, and you're back to it won't fit.

I would use a larger SSD for the main laptop, ditching the slow USB connection will yield much more speed, and also add a larger SSD to the notebook, if possible, to solve your initial problem.

You will almost certainly need to do the full installation, very few programs are self-contained within a single folder or set of folders, they usually make multiple registry entries, multiple folders, new files in system32, updates to existing files, etc, etc, often these changes are related to system specifics and or particular OS and its update status, in short, lifting anything but the most simple of programs from one system and simply copying rather than installing it to another PC almost never works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Even if you can get everything to copy over properly including reg settings, those reg settings might be wrong for the new machine, particularly if the chipsets are different.
    You could of course script to copy and give it the proper settings based on the device. This is known as INSTALLING.

Scott
    Quote Quote