VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still trying to get my newbie head around this video stuff!!!

To begin, I have 35 short videos of my grandson. Eleven were taken with my Fuji Finepix S6500 fd camera and were recorded as .AVI files. The remainder were taken with my wife's Sony mobile phone and they were recorded as .MP4 files.

My first question is, is it possible to burn the mixture of .AVI and .MP4 videos onto the same DVD? I tried using ConvertX 4 but it failed.

Secondly, thinking I should burn similar files to a DVD, I used Avidemux 2.6, to convert the eleven .AVI files to .MP4 but the quality has severely deteriorated. The .AVI files details are: Video Codec 4CC: MJPG, 640x480, Audio Codec: 8-bit PCM, Mono. After conversion, the .MP4 file details are: Video Codec 4CC: H264, 640x480, Audio Codec: AAC, Mono. The .AVI video is 41,828KB, and the converted .MP4 video is only 21,688KB. This difference in file size appears, to me, to be the cause of the deterioration. Now being new to all this, I was under the impression that the H264 codec and .MP4 container was of high quality, but this doesn't seem to be the case in my experience......or am I doing something wrong?
    Would I get the same or better quality if i converted the .MP4 files to .AVI, then allowing me to burn a DVD with similar files?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    When you say, "burn to DVD", do you mean...
    A. Authored "DVD-Video" files for use in Settop DVD/BD players & DVD/BD player software on Computers
    B. Data files "copied" as is to a DVD data disc for use in Computers & general media players

If A, you will need to convert both file types to DVD-compliant MPEG2 files (with either LPCM/WAV or DolbyDigital/AC3 or MP2 audio). Try something like AVS2DVD.
    Since they're short files, I'll assume you can use ~ the max bitrate: 9Mbps CBR with 224kbps AC3 audio, or if using LPCM, 8Mbps CBR with 1.5Mbps LPCM. For compatibility with UK TV standards, you should be resizing your stuff to 720x576 (non-square pixels) @ 25FPS. Your phone-based stuff may cause a problem with the conversion due to phones' habit of recording Variable Framerate video.

If B, you shouldn't be converting ANYTHING (assuming your computer/GenMediaPlayer can support the codecs & file formats of both of the 2 types). Just use ImgBurn in "Write Files & Folders to Disc" mode and burn.
    Likely, however, one or both of those formats can have issues on General Media Player hardware (MJPEG codec of Fuji, and VFR of phones).

In either instance, DO-NOT-CONVERT-MORE-THAN-ONCE for each file. That, and bitrate, and possibly other faulty settings, was your downfall on the 2nd conversion attempt.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for reply.
    Sorry, I should have said a DVD for playing in my daughter's stand alone DVD player so the family can watch it on TV.
    You mention "Do not convert more than once". When my wife used her phone to video my grandson, she, without thinking, used it on a few occasions in portrait mode, so with the aid of Avidemux, I have converted the videos to landscape mode. Would this matter?
    I've just downloaded AVS2DVD so I'll give it a try.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try to work with the original files if still possible. re-encoding deteriorates the files quality. Use AVS2DVD to author a compliant dvd
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I've downloaded AVS2DVD and converted the first .AVI video to VIDEO_TS, which I understand is the format ready for burning. So, if I convert all 35 .AVI and .MP4 videos to their individual Video_TS format, will I be able to burn all 35 VIDEO_TS format videos at the same time on one DVD in one burn?
    Hope I've made that clear!
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Mike_EH View Post
    Well I've downloaded AVS2DVD and converted the first .AVI video to VIDEO_TS, which I understand is the format ready for burning. So, if I convert all 35 .AVI and .MP4 videos to their individual Video_TS format, will I be able to burn all 35 VIDEO_TS format videos at the same time on one DVD in one burn?
    Hope I've made that clear!
    Mike
    You'll want to import all of the videos at the same time into AVStoDVD and make a menu so that you can select each one when you play it. This, of course, depends on the running time of all the videos. I wouldn't import more than 2 to 2 1/2 hours of video into AVStoDVD if you plan on burning to a regular, single layer DVD. The less you try to cram on there, the better the quality of the converted video.

It is possible to put more on a DVD-9, double layer DVD, but the only good blank double layer DVD's are sold by Verbatim, and it might be difficult to find them locally. They are easy to find online, at shops like Amazon or Rima.com or Supermediastore.com. Running time for a double layer DVD would be around 3 hours, maybe a bit more, but again, you don't want to degrade the visual quality by trying to put too much in. Output size is easy to change in AVStoDVD, so making the DVD-video for a DVD-9 is not difficult, you just need to switch from the default DVD-5 meant for single layer discs.

In order to make a menu with AVStoDVD, you will have to run the Menu Editor within the program.

Edit: Also, when using AVStoDVD, use the HC encoder that comes with it, and set it to do a two pass encode.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 14th Oct 2015 at 16:28.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for the advice. Just one more question......If I don't want to select an individual video, ie., just want to watch the whole 35 separate videos as one single video, I assume I just don't create a menu? Am I correct?
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Mike_EH View Post
    Many thanks for the advice. Just one more question......If I don't want to select an individual video, ie., just want to watch the whole 35 separate videos as one single video, I assume I just don't create a menu? Am I correct?
    Mike
    Generally you create a "Play All" button in addition to the individual menu items. AVStoDVD does this by default.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right, thanks for all your help.
    Mike
    Quote Quote