VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Nederland
    Search PM
    Hey everyone!

    I'm interested in making a 360 degree YouTube video, but because I don't have a 360 camera I decided to find another way to do so.

    I found it in this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiojqF-60MU. I'd like to make a video with the effect you can see from 0:01 - 0:05 and from 1:32 - 1:46, but instead of having the same video placed 4 times, I'd like to have different videos in the different directions.

    I don't know how to achieve this. I have a lot of experience with Sony Vegas Pro and After Effects, but since 360 videos are new to me I don't have any idea how to this.

    Can anyone give me tips?

    Thanks a lot!

    Pieter
    Last edited by pietstreepjer; 5th Oct 2015 at 13:46. Reason: spelling mistake
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    First, you should NOT use just 4 views: to stitch it properly, you need a bit of overlap (it uses that to match & crossfade the stitching edges). Use 5 or 6 views minimum. Though, If you are actually using totally different videos for the various perspectives, the stitcher app may baulk (it won't know what to match?)...
    Second, you need a "video stitching" aware edit software. As of this point, AFAIK none of them are free (a few betas were, but they're no longer in beta). Most are ~$100> (incl. GoPro's Kolor AutoPano or PTGui or VideoStitcher Vahana Studio). Once you've created the stitched video, follow Youtube's guidelines on uploading and flagging such files.

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member godai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    United States Florida
    Search PM
    its there a lot 360 cameras? i just know one. and it was released last September.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    Not many, more than one. Plus you can use multi-cam arrays to stitch together the image (as mentioned before).
    Also, you can use 2+ regular cams and a spherical reflector.

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pietstreepjer View Post

    I found it in this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiojqF-60MU. I'd like to make a video with the effect you can see from 0:01 - 0:05 and from 1:32 - 1:46, but instead of having the same video placed 4 times, I'd like to have different videos in the different directions.
    Are you sure you got the times correct? You wanted the linear view (side by side) ?

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Heroes in 360 - YouTube000024.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	33948
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Nederland
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    First, you should NOT use just 4 views: to stitch it properly, you need a bit of overlap (it uses that to match & crossfade the stitching edges). Use 5 or 6 views minimum. Though, If you are actually using totally different videos for the various perspectives, the stitcher app may baulk (it won't know what to match?)...
    Second, you need a "video stitching" aware edit software. As of this point, AFAIK none of them are free (a few betas were, but they're no longer in beta). Most are ~$100> (incl. GoPro's Kolor AutoPano or PTGui or VideoStitcher Vahana Studio). Once you've created the stitched video, follow Youtube's guidelines on uploading and flagging such files.

    Scott
    Thanks for you reply! However, I don't want to stitch the 4 views together. I want to have 4 seperate views, 4 completely different videos, like in the beginning and end of the youtube video I linked to. Do you understand?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Nederland
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by godai View Post
    its there a lot 360 cameras? i just know one. and it was released last September.
    There are some, and next half year a lot of 360 cameras will be released. Those cameras won't be expensive, but the quality isnt very high. Check the Ricoh Theta S for example
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Nederland
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by pietstreepjer View Post

    I found it in this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiojqF-60MU. I'd like to make a video with the effect you can see from 0:01 - 0:05 and from 1:32 - 1:46, but instead of having the same video placed 4 times, I'd like to have different videos in the different directions.
    Are you sure you got the times correct? You wanted the linear view (side by side) ?

    Image
    [Attachment 33948 - Click to enlarge]
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah that's exactly what I mean! I'd like to have the linear view, but instead of having the same video 4 times, I'd like to have 4 different videos. My idea is to make 4 completely different video clips for the same song and put them side by side so you can turn around whenever you want in 360 degrees and switch over to another video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Are you sure you got the times correct? You wanted the linear view (side by side) ?
    Drag the view with your mouse.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Are you sure you got the times correct? You wanted the linear view (side by side) ?
    Drag the view with your mouse.

    I didn't know YT had this now. Very cool.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Are you sure you got the times correct? You wanted the linear view (side by side) ?
    Drag the view with your mouse.
    I didn't know YT had this now. Very cool.
    Either did I. But the guy in the video said "Don't forget to move around your phone to get the full experience". So I figured there was something more and tried dragging with the mouse.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member budwzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you choreograph it yourself for maximum impact? Bounce it to the beat.

    Sony Vegas Pro and Premiere can both easily create 4 (or more) planes that you can manipulate in 2.5D. Give them a finished product.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pietstreepjer View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    First, you should NOT use just 4 views: to stitch it properly, you need a bit of overlap (it uses that to match & crossfade the stitching edges). Use 5 or 6 views minimum. Though, If you are actually using totally different videos for the various perspectives, the stitcher app may baulk (it won't know what to match?)...
    Second, you need a "video stitching" aware edit software. As of this point, AFAIK none of them are free (a few betas were, but they're no longer in beta). Most are ~$100> (incl. GoPro's Kolor AutoPano or PTGui or VideoStitcher Vahana Studio). Once you've created the stitched video, follow Youtube's guidelines on uploading and flagging such files.

    Scott
    Thanks for you reply! However, I don't want to stitch the 4 views together. I want to have 4 seperate views, 4 completely different videos, like in the beginning and end of the youtube video I linked to. Do you understand?
    I do understand. However, the parts at the beginning and the end, while composed of different views, are still stitched together into a single 360/VR video. So they need to be treated the same way a multi-cam single video (shifting perspective) project would be done.
    My recommendations still hold (except obviously the overlap part). Maybe you can get the stitcher editor to accept non-overlapping clips...

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Proof of concept, using free tools avisynth, defish() plugin . I just "eyeballed" the values and some trial and error. There is probably a mathematically correct way to do it, but my math isn't that great

    ***Warning: semi NSFW because Sports Illustrated video is used ***
    "2015 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Tease" - also on YT

    360 Test
    https://youtu.be/wpN8E8XICCM

    Code:
    w=608
    h=342
    cr=72
    ab=8
    a1=0.15
    b1=-0.05
    c1=-0.05
    
    orig=FFVideoSource("2015 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Tease - YouTube.mp4").assumefps(24).converttorgb32(matrix="rec709").spline36resize(w,h)
    
    a=orig.trim(360,600).Defish(a=a1, b=b1, c=c1).crop(cr,0,-cr,0,true).addborders(ab,0,ab,0)
    b=orig.trim(601,842).Defish(a=a1, b=b1, c=c1).crop(cr,0,-cr,0,true).addborders(ab,0,ab,0)
    c=orig.trim(843,1083).Defish(a=a1, b=b1, c=c1).crop(cr,0,-cr,0,true).addborders(ab,0,ab,0)
    d=orig.trim(1084,1324).Defish(a=a1, b=b1, c=c1).crop(cr,0,-cr,0,true).addborders(ab,0,ab,0)
    bl=blankclip(240,1920,1080,pixel_type="RGB32").assumefps(24).killaudio()
    
    left=a.crop(0,0,-240,0,true)
    
    right=a.crop(240,0,0,0,true)
    
    strip=stackhorizontal(right,b,c,d,left)
    
    overlay(bl, strip, y=(bl.height/2-strip.height/2)) #
    
    ConvertToYV12(matrix="rec709")


    There is a bit of a learning curve to avisynth, but you just substitute your videos for a,b,c,d each resized to 608x342 for a 1920x1080 template base video . I used the video in post#1 as a template to get the rough size, orientation, angle . Someone could probably write a wrapper function to automate this and make it even easier to use if the values are considered to be correct (I just roughly guessed the values so far)

    It should be possible in any NLE or AE, you just have to deform each video and assemble the just like the 1st video (the linear strip)

    I used these instructions to upload to YT (all you really need is to inject the 360 metadata with the tool linked), there are no other special steps on uploading
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6178631?hl=en



    EDIT:

    Since you said you used AE, It's pretty easy to do in AE too.

    1) Create a 1920x1080 composition

    2) Precomp each of your videos (There are really 4 precomps, but #1 is used twice because it's split into the two "ends") .

    3) Apply Optics Compensation effect to each with FOV set to 90.

    4) Drop a white solid on top of each with 1272x1080 dimensions, set to luma matte (this will create the side edges cut off like in the example video in the 1st post)

    5) Put the 4 precomps into the main composition, plus a duplicate of #1, each scaled to 37%

    5) The x-position will be 0,480,960,1440,1920 for each of the 4 precomps (#1,#2,#3,#4,#1) , respectively

    DONE!

    Since this is a template, and all you have to do is swap out the videos in each precomp


    AE test (same video on all sides, just a lazy test)
    https://youtu.be/5t46EQ9DLFI

    I do notice the peripheral edges are smoother in AE (not as "serrated" or jaggy), perhaps the optics compensations is apply some anti aliasing. You could do the same in avisynth if you wanted to
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 6th Oct 2015 at 16:24.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Nederland
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Proof of concept, using free tools avisynth, defish() plugin . I just "eyeballed" the values and some trial and error. There is probably a mathematically correct way to do it, but my math isn't that great

    ***Warning: semi NSFW because Sports Illustrated video is used ***
    "2015 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Tease" - also on YT

    360 Test
    https://youtu.be/wpN8E8XICCM

    Code:
    w=608
    h=342
    cr=72
    ab=8
    a1=0.15
    b1=-0.05
    c1=-0.05
    
    orig=FFVideoSource("2015 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Tease - YouTube.mp4").assumefps(24).converttorgb32(matrix="rec709").spline36resize(w,h)
    
    a=orig.trim(360,600).Defish(a=a1, b=b1, c=c1).crop(cr,0,-cr,0,true).addborders(ab,0,ab,0)
    b=orig.trim(601,842).Defish(a=a1, b=b1, c=c1).crop(cr,0,-cr,0,true).addborders(ab,0,ab,0)
    c=orig.trim(843,1083).Defish(a=a1, b=b1, c=c1).crop(cr,0,-cr,0,true).addborders(ab,0,ab,0)
    d=orig.trim(1084,1324).Defish(a=a1, b=b1, c=c1).crop(cr,0,-cr,0,true).addborders(ab,0,ab,0)
    bl=blankclip(240,1920,1080,pixel_type="RGB32").assumefps(24).killaudio()
    
    left=a.crop(0,0,-240,0,true)
    
    right=a.crop(240,0,0,0,true)
    
    strip=stackhorizontal(right,b,c,d,left)
    
    overlay(bl, strip, y=(bl.height/2-strip.height/2)) #
    
    ConvertToYV12(matrix="rec709")


    There is a bit of a learning curve to avisynth, but you just substitute your videos for a,b,c,d each resized to 608x342 for a 1920x1080 template base video . I used the video in post#1 as a template to get the rough size, orientation, angle . Someone could probably write a wrapper function to automate this and make it even easier to use if the values are considered to be correct (I just roughly guessed the values so far)

    It should be possible in any NLE or AE, you just have to deform each video and assemble the just like the 1st video (the linear strip)

    I used these instructions to upload to YT (all you really need is to inject the 360 metadata with the tool linked), there are no other special steps on uploading
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6178631?hl=en



    EDIT:

    Since you said you used AE, It's pretty easy to do in AE too.

    1) Create a 1920x1080 composition

    2) Precomp each of your videos (There are really 4 precomps, but #1 is used twice because it's split into the two "ends") .

    3) Apply Optics Compensation effect to each with FOV set to 90.

    4) Drop a white solid on top of each with 1272x1080 dimensions, set to luma matte (this will create the side edges cut off like in the example video in the 1st post)

    5) Put the 4 precomps into the main composition, plus a duplicate of #1, each scaled to 37%

    5) The x-position will be 0,480,960,1440,1920 for each of the 4 precomps (#1,#2,#3,#4,#1) , respectively

    DONE!

    Since this is a template, and all you have to do is swap out the videos in each precomp


    AE test (same video on all sides, just a lazy test)
    https://youtu.be/5t46EQ9DLFI

    I do notice the peripheral edges are smoother in AE (not as "serrated" or jaggy), perhaps the optics compensations is apply some anti aliasing. You could do the same in avisynth if you wanted to
    Wow thanks a lot man for this very clear explanation. The videos you've posted look great! I'm gonna follow your steps and give it a try. You'll hear from me
    Last edited by pietstreepjer; 7th Oct 2015 at 02:07. Reason: Auto-correct ;)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Nederland
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pietstreepjer View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Proof of concept, using free tools avisynth, defish() plugin . I just "eyeballed" the values and some trial and error. There is probably a mathematically correct way to do it, but my math isn't that great

    ***Warning: semi NSFW because Sports Illustrated video is used ***
    "2015 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Tease" - also on YT

    360 Test
    https://youtu.be/wpN8E8XICCM

    Code:
    w=608
    h=342
    cr=72
    ab=8
    a1=0.15
    b1=-0.05
    c1=-0.05
    
    orig=FFVideoSource("2015 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Tease - YouTube.mp4").assumefps(24).converttorgb32(matrix="rec709").spline36resize(w,h)
    
    a=orig.trim(360,600).Defish(a=a1, b=b1, c=c1).crop(cr,0,-cr,0,true).addborders(ab,0,ab,0)
    b=orig.trim(601,842).Defish(a=a1, b=b1, c=c1).crop(cr,0,-cr,0,true).addborders(ab,0,ab,0)
    c=orig.trim(843,1083).Defish(a=a1, b=b1, c=c1).crop(cr,0,-cr,0,true).addborders(ab,0,ab,0)
    d=orig.trim(1084,1324).Defish(a=a1, b=b1, c=c1).crop(cr,0,-cr,0,true).addborders(ab,0,ab,0)
    bl=blankclip(240,1920,1080,pixel_type="RGB32").assumefps(24).killaudio()
    
    left=a.crop(0,0,-240,0,true)
    
    right=a.crop(240,0,0,0,true)
    
    strip=stackhorizontal(right,b,c,d,left)
    
    overlay(bl, strip, y=(bl.height/2-strip.height/2)) #
    
    ConvertToYV12(matrix="rec709")


    There is a bit of a learning curve to avisynth, but you just substitute your videos for a,b,c,d each resized to 608x342 for a 1920x1080 template base video . I used the video in post#1 as a template to get the rough size, orientation, angle . Someone could probably write a wrapper function to automate this and make it even easier to use if the values are considered to be correct (I just roughly guessed the values so far)

    It should be possible in any NLE or AE, you just have to deform each video and assemble the just like the 1st video (the linear strip)

    I used these instructions to upload to YT (all you really need is to inject the 360 metadata with the tool linked), there are no other special steps on uploading
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6178631?hl=en



    EDIT:

    Since you said you used AE, It's pretty easy to do in AE too.

    1) Create a 1920x1080 composition

    2) Precomp each of your videos (There are really 4 precomps, but #1 is used twice because it's split into the two "ends") .

    3) Apply Optics Compensation effect to each with FOV set to 90.

    4) Drop a white solid on top of each with 1272x1080 dimensions, set to luma matte (this will create the side edges cut off like in the example video in the 1st post)

    5) Put the 4 precomps into the main composition, plus a duplicate of #1, each scaled to 37%

    5) The x-position will be 0,480,960,1440,1920 for each of the 4 precomps (#1,#2,#3,#4,#1) , respectively

    DONE!

    Since this is a template, and all you have to do is swap out the videos in each precomp


    AE test (same video on all sides, just a lazy test)
    https://youtu.be/5t46EQ9DLFI

    I do notice the peripheral edges are smoother in AE (not as "serrated" or jaggy), perhaps the optics compensations is apply some anti aliasing. You could do the same in avisynth if you wanted to
    Wow thanks a lot man for this very clear explanation. The videos you've posted look great! I'm gonna follow your steps and give it a try. You'll hear from me
    I made a video, thanks to you. The result looks almost perfect, but when I upload it to YouTube you can see a the stitching line. It's the same for your video. Do you think it's possible change the settings in the AE file in a way so the stitching line will be placed between two videos (in the black background)?

    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by pietstreepjer View Post
    I made a video, thanks to you. The result looks almost perfect, but when I upload it to YouTube you can see a the stitching line. It's the same for your video. Do you think it's possible change the settings in the AE file in a way so the stitching line will be placed between two videos (in the black background)?

    Thanks in advance



    Yes, the line is there in the video in post #1 also. I just followed that template . If you look at the screenshot in post #5, it's from the first and last being split

    You should be able to delete one (so there are four instead of five), and shift them all over. So it should look like this with four "boxes"
    Click image for larger version

Name:	360v2.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	33970



    Easiest way to shift them all at once is create a null object, parent the remaining four to the null then move the x-position of the null to 1200
    https://youtu.be/rsQImsr4g6M

    But youtube starts the video viewing at a vertex corner instead of straight on one face, perhaps that was why it was done that way in post #1
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Nederland
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by pietstreepjer View Post
    I made a video, thanks to you. The result looks almost perfect, but when I upload it to YouTube you can see a the stitching line. It's the same for your video. Do you think it's possible change the settings in the AE file in a way so the stitching line will be placed between two videos (in the black background)?

    Thanks in advance



    Yes, the line is there in the video in post #1 also. I just followed that template . If you look at the screenshot in post #5, it's from the first and last being split

    You should be able to delete one (so there are four instead of five), and shift them all over. So it should look like this with four "boxes"
    Image
    [Attachment 33970 - Click to enlarge]




    Easiest way to shift them all at once is create a null object, parent the remaining four to the null then move the x-position of the null to 1200
    https://youtu.be/rsQImsr4g6M

    But youtube starts the video viewing at a vertex corner instead of straight on one face, perhaps that was why it was done that way in post #1
    Sorry for the late reply, but thanks man! I'm very happy with this! I've tested it and it worked! Gonna make a 360 video clip now! Thanks again for your replies.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads