VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. All the discussions I have found about this are quite old. I am simply looking for the best professional DVD authoring software available to buy. I am using a PC.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The pro stuff has all migrated to Blu Ray, so Sony Blu Print or Rovi Sonic Scenarist.
    Otherwise, the pro stuff listed here is all excellent:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DVD_authoring_applications
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Adobe Encore, but it's a bit expensive. ~$600 US. Bundled with Adobe Premier Pro. TMPGEnc Authoring Works is also popular.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    scenarist is and was always the best. still available for SD. http://www.scenarist.com/products/Scenarist_SD_DVD_Authoring_Software.pdf
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    second place i'd give to dvd lab pro 2 on a price/performance level. don't know if you can still buy it, the company stopped supporting it years ago.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    second place i'd give to dvd lab pro 2 on a price/performance level. don't know if you can still buy it, the company stopped supporting it years ago.
    VideoHelp's software page for DVD Lab Pro says the latest version of DVD Lab Pro 2 was released in 2014. I went to http://mediachance.com/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html to see if it is still sold, and it is.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good software gives an edge, however, I've seen some fantastic authored dvd's done on free AVS2DVD and even ConvertX2DVD, sometimes it's not the machine, it's the man
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  8. As good as and perhaps better than Scenarist is the absolutely free Muxman. Pure DVD authoring, not menu creation, encoding or any other non-authoring functions.
    Originally Posted by katieburchett View Post
    I am simply looking for the best professional DVD authoring software available to buy.
    You don't have to spend a dime to get top notch DVD authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by katieburchett View Post
    I am simply looking for the best professional DVD authoring software available to buy.
    I think the OP should tell us what does he/she considers to be a professional DVD authoring software or al least specify what kind of task he/she´s expecting to perform with it.
    Lets remember how many times has someone been here asking things like "whats the best camera to make videos" , getting a lot of answers from people who say the best ones are the ARRIs, REDs, etc...others will say he should go for a Hi end DSLR and others voting for a full featured pro camcorder...only to find out that all the OP was asking for was for the best camera...to record his 5 year old kid´s birthday or something to take on a holiday, and that´s only if the OP ever returns...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by julitomg View Post

I think the OP should tell us what does he/she considers to be a professional DVD authoring software or al least specify what kind of task he/she´s expecting to perform with it.
    Thanks to all the responses! I am specifically looking for menu creation, and I also require copyright protection. Just looking for the most professional and reliable software.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by julitomg View Post

Thanks to all the responses! I am specifically looking for menu creation, and I also require copyright protection. Just looking for the most professional and reliable software.
    Most DVD authoring software supports menu creation. Copyright is a legal matter. If your work is original, it can be copyrighted.

If by "copyright protection" you mean you want authoring software that applies copy protection, you won't find any. The types of copy protection used for video DVDs (CSS, APS/CopyGuard, ARccOS (and other types of bad sector copy protection)) can only be applied during replication.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by katieburchett View Post
    I am specifically looking for menu creation...
    If by 'menu creation' you mean some program's templates, then I'd forget about creating anything at all competent and professional looking. Good menu backgrounds you create yourself. Template-guided menu backgrounds always wind up looking like ... templates, and amateurish. Several of the free menu authoring programs allow for the import of user-created menu backgrounds. I use DVDAuthorGUI for this sort of thing.
    I also require copyright protection.
    usually_quiet answered that one, but it's nothing an authoring program would provide.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Most DVD authoring software supports menu creation. Copyright is a legal matter. If your work is original, it can be copyrighted.

If by "copyright protection" you mean you want authoring software that applies copy protection, you won't find any. The types of copy protection used for video DVDs (CSS, APS/CopyGuard, ARccOS (and other types of bad sector copy protection)) can only be applied during replication.
    In terms of the CSS protection, I just want to be able to flag it for replication?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

In terms of the CSS protection, I just want to be able to flag it for replication?
    DVD Lab Pro 2 and other real professional software can turn on the CSS flag. However it can only be written to a DLT tape. Do you plan to use DLT tape for mastering and have access to a DLT tape drive? Plus the license to use CSS DVD copy protection is not cheap. The license costs $15K per year.

[Edit]I found out that the information above is incomplete and out of date. If the DVD is authored as an ISO file, the CSS flag can be written to the ISO file. Also most replication services have paid for their own CSS license and charge a small fee per disc to add CSS so that customers don't need their own licanse.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Oct 2015 at 22:43.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't put any dvd copy protection on any dvd i mastered cause anyone except their dog can bypass that protection with no difficulty at all.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I wouldn't put any dvd copy protection on any dvd i mastered cause anyone except their dog can bypass that protection with no difficulty at all.

I was required by most studios to include it as part of the contract -- it is not so much that they know it can easily be defeated but that circumventing DRM is a whole separate charge and more enforceable in many countries than just "making a copy for personal use"
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think it's also about "deniability" and compensation: if a production company tried to sue a "violator" and the defense asked them about what protections they placed on the title(s), and the company said, "Nothing", an argument could be laid that the company was "asking to be copied" because they didn't attempt to do "due diligence" to the fullest extent possible.

Then there's the ability of CSS to charge only when clients come calling at the replication plant: it allows them to verify each instance of CP with a license request.

Yes, "copyright protection" (CSS, etc) is only actually placed on the title at replication manufacturing (during the glass master prep) - it is not physically possible to apply it to an ISO, because an ISO only refers to 2048 Byte User-Data sectors and burned discs can only access & burn User-Data (not counting the old DVD-R-A "authoring" disc format). The CSS is applied to sectors outside of the User-Data area (probably in the "Data Unit 1" header area).
    However, there are "flags" that state that CP is intended to be used/applied, and a number of apps can engage those flags (Scenarist, DVDMaestro, DVDA, DVDSP...), but most times those flags are NOT included in an ISO, but rather in a CMF or DDP image (on disc file or on DLT).

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 20th Oct 2015 at 23:29.
    Quote Quote