VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just found my jvc mini dv camera today i hardly used it has one tape in the camera only recorded 2mins of video on it to test camera to see if its working fine and it has no problems at all and takes really hq video for SD 16:9 576i video

rather then get a new camera that uses sd cards i would like to use this camera and wanted to know how many times i can record over a mini dv tape before it goes bad ? i know mini dv tapes are cheap to buy i can get a pack of 3 from ebay that works out to be $4.21nzd a tape

but i would like to get the most out of my first tape before i spend money to get more tapes as i don't really record videos that often to make it worth spending more money
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've been using (and still using) MiniDV for many years and I'd say if you record over the same tape more than twice you are risking a drop out here and there occasionally, nothing major but it would annoy me. So it's your choice.
    Personally I record every tape only once and keep the tapes as master backups – something not to forget about. Tapes are a reliable long-term storage media if treated properly.

Oh and better don't use LP. Ever.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    I've been using (and still using) MiniDV for many years and I'd say if you record over the same tape more than twice you are risking a drop out here and there occasionally, nothing major but it would annoy me. So it's your choice.
    Personally I record every tape only once and keep the tapes as master backups – something not to forget about. Tapes are a reliable long-term storage media if treated properly.

thx
    Quote Quote  
  4. I agree with Skiller. Even expensive tapes are "cheap" when compared against losing irreplaceable memories.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Don't want to sidetrack, but given the change in camcorder selection in the marketplace, I wouldn't consider tape-based archives to be that safe a medium. Even if the tapes remain pristine, they're no good to you if you cannot play them back later (without undue $$$ outlay). Something to consider.

If you DO intend to remain using DV/HDV, these are my rules of thumb:
    1. Don't use LP ever.
    2. Don't use 32k, except in extreme circumstances. Basically ever.
    3. If your camera gives you the option of using 44.1k, don't use it.
    4. Only use 16:9 widescreen in cameras that actually use the full picture with anamorphic pixels, otherwise you're hard letterboxing.
    5. Stick either with tapes from one manufacturer religiously, or cycle through tapes from many manufacturers, but don't use mainly one mfr and then occasionally switch over (has to do with tape lubricant gunking up the machine).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Don't want to sidetrack, but given the change in camcorder selection in the marketplace, I wouldn't consider tape-based archives to be that safe a medium. Even if the tapes remain pristine, they're no good to you if you cannot play them back later (without undue $$$ outlay). Something to consider.

If you DO intend to remain using DV/HDV, these are my rules of thumb:
    1. Don't use LP ever.
    2. Don't use 32k, except in extreme circumstances. Basically ever.
    3. If your camera gives you the option of using 44.1k, don't use it.
    4. Only use 16:9 widescreen in cameras that actually use the full picture with anamorphic pixels, otherwise you're hard letterboxing.
    5. Stick either with tapes from one manufacturer religiously, or cycle through tapes from many manufacturers, but don't use mainly one mfr and then occasionally switch over (has to do with tape lubricant gunking up the machine).

Scott
    thanks for that info
    Quote Quote