VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I captured some MiniDV tapes using Premiere CS5 and Windows 7 64bit. I captured the entire tapes, but now would like to break them into sections. In Premiere I selected Microsoft AVI and the Video Codec Uncompressed UYVY 4228 bit. This increases the size of the original captured AVI. Is there a way to keep the original captured file size after making simple trims/edits while retaining the quality of the avi for possible future editing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    been awhile since i used cs5 but i believe it does smart rendering of dv. select you project as dv and output dv. no re-rendering is done.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. awesome

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  4. By output DV does that mean select Format Microsoft AVI and then Codec DV NTSC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds right
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You don't want to convert to lossless without knowing how the 4:2:0 is color upsampled to 4:2:2.

And you don't need to.
    Keep it as DV from edit start to edit end. Since it is all I-frame, ALL edits and sections will smart-render (with most good editors, incl. Premiere). Only edits that have color correction, titling, fades, compositing, etc., would even re-encode in the render.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For simple cuts with DV, using an editor like that is overkill IMO. VirtualDub will cut them easily, quickly and losslessly (Video->Direct stream copy), and of course make sure for audio too (Audio->Direct stream copy).
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote