VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm going to Japan pretty soon and starting ripping my daughter's disney DVD collection for our kindle fire. I used Freemake converter and did Cinderella with no problem. Then I tried Lilo and Stitch. Massive audio/video synch issues. Tried vidcoder but it the rendered video would freeze half way through. I tried another program (can't remember the name) but would not give me an option to select the DVD, I had to go in and pick which .vob files I wanted to convert which is not an option considering how much time I have left.

I'm wondering if there is no easy way to do this? Cinderella was as easy as selecting the file and pressing convert and done, but it doesn't seem to be as easy with other discs. Am I going about this the wrong way? Is there a simple way to do this? Meaning as simple as it was with the Cinderella DVD?

I really don't want to use a torrent but I'm afraid I am running out of options/time...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to do in to more detail of your work-flow.

Are you attempting to 'rip' direct from the disk or from files on your HDD ?. The former is guaranteed not to work.

One-click solutions as like you have been using are not the ideal answer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    uglijimus, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz

And Kindle Fire seems to prefer this format, which you should be able to duplicate with VidCoder or similar converters:

Video Encoder: H.264, Audio Encoder: AAC
    Resolution: 800*480 , Video Bitrate: 2500 kbps
    Last edited by redwudz; 2nd Oct 2015 at 11:13.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am ripping straight from the disk, so I guess that a one click solution is not going to work.

@redwudz, sorry about the title, I will try to be more conscientious in the future.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by uglijimus View Post
    I am ripping straight from the disk, so I guess that a one click solution is not going to work.

@redwudz, sorry about the title, I will try to be more conscientious in the future.
    ripping from the disc is not going to work because the disc is copy protected.
    use dvdfab and copy the disc to your computer's hard drive. from there you can transfer
    your movies to the kindle fire.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can I do the same thing with dvd decrypter instead of dvdfab?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by uglijimus View Post
    can I do the same thing with dvd decrypter instead of dvdfab?
    no, dvd decrypter is out dated and will not work on new encryptions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFabDecrypter is (and should still be) a FREE portion of DVDFab.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can try dvddecrypter but as said above it is an old program and will not work with newer forms of copy-protection.

Isn't DVDFab still free for dvd decryptions ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well then, that settles it. I will download dvdfab and try to decrypt when I get home today. thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    -snip-
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You can try dvddecrypter but as said above it is an old program and will not work with newer forms of copy-protection.

Isn't DVDFab still free for dvd decryptions ?
    it is, but it still may not work on new release movies. it lags anywhere from 60 to 90 days in terms
    of decryption from the paid version for new release movies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Yeah. I knew about the time lags

Should not be an issue for the OP tho.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Since he is converting to another format, and will not be retaining DVD-video format, he could also use MakeMKV to decrypt and rip the movies to MKV format, then use Handbrake or Vidcoder to convert to MP4 with the specs that redwudz posted earlier.

Since MakeMKV doesn't re-encode anything, there is no loss of quality doing it this way in the first step.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Kerry56

I thought about doing this exact same thing when I first started researching, but didn't want to take the extra step. I may still do so though. I will report on my progress later .
    Quote Quote  
  16. But if they're all supposed to be 800x480, then they'll all have to be cropped or there will be some serious aspect ratio issues.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    for whatever reason, I did not work out. Even after using dvdfab some of the files were corrupted. Anyway I appreciate everyone's advice. hopefully it works for someone else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, are you ignoring all advice and trying, even with dvdfab, to convert direct from the disk ?

All conversion really must be done from the HDD. It is at the very least a two step process.

Or explain in more detail "It did not work out"
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used dvdfab to rip from the dvd to the hard drive and then vidcoder to encode the ripped file to an .mp4 format.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are having problems decrypting only one or two discs, you could try using VLC's record function while playing the movie (the icon used for the record button is a red dot), assuming these discs play OK using VLC.

The record feature saves an exact copy of the video and audio stream being played to an mpg file, but the catch is that recording is done in real time. If all goes well, you would use vidcoder to convert the mpg to a compatible mp4.
    Quote Quote