VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I accidentally bought a region A blu-ray set a while ago (the NBA changed production companies from Warner Brothers, who don't region lock, to Bombo, who do). I'm in region B.

Is there a way to rip the discs so I can watch them on my region B player? I saw some threads about it, in which it seemed not to be as simple as merely making a copy of the disc.

I've got AnyDVD HD, and can play them back on PC. Will that remove the region locking through a rip as well, allowing me to burn region-unlocked copies?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. AnyDVDHD will remove the region if you rip and then burn it. Shrink with BDRebuilder if it's tooo big.

Removes region codes from Blu-ray media.
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Good to know, thanks. I assumed it would, and obviously it does for playback, but then I saw the other threads on here and there was a bit of conflicting information.

Ordered some BD-DLs, will get onto it when they get here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also there are a number of BD players that can be easily switched back and forth from Zone A to Zone B. Kogan and JBHIFI stock them. Also DVDFab suite is freely available here unlike the USA.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was under the impression region-free/multi-region BD players didn't exist? I was actually in a JB Hi-Fi a few months back, and someone nearby was looking for a BD player that would be region-free for DVD playback, and a miscommunication about that led to the salesperson telling the customer region free BD players didn't exist.

That said, BD-DLs are cheaper than a BD player, so at least short-term this is the better option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The unit Kogan's sell are region free for DVD and switchable zone A, B and C for BD discs. https://www.kogan.com/au/help/region-change-code-full-hd-3d-blu-ray-player-kabrp3dwfia/ also http://www.gattiweb.com/bluraymod.html My solution was to have 2 Pioneer units, one local and one USA with suitable mini flags on the front panel

In the case of DVD's you don't have to do anything, in the case of BD you make a menu/code selection on the remote. JB's had them for awhile. Some of the stores down in China town in the Haymarket sell completely region and zone free players if you look around. Remember a third of the population of Sydney was born overseas so demand for non restricted players is very high.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm on the other side of the country, so Sydney-specific stuff isn't much help.

I've seen the hacked/modded/whatever Oppo ones on eBay, but that's all I was aware of and they're significantly more expensive than a pack of BD-DLs, so for one four-disc set it's really not worth it. Was something I had in mind if I ever decide to get a new player, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can always order on line - I have a friend in Leadville NSW (yes there is such a place!) has no choice to use Internet or as it was once known 'mail order' My guess is you are in WA and from what I've read the local shops are a bit steep in price...
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've never really compared, but shipping something that heavy would cost a fair amount too. I'm assuming places like JB Hi-Fi set their prices nationally, though, unless their website detects location and changes prices based on that.

So what's the difference between the modded Oppo players and the Kogan players? Mine is fairly old, and 2D, so I've been considering an upgrade (I do have a few 3D movies, but I also have a PS4 so it's not a huge deal), but I've had to replace quite a few things recently so it's not really too far towards the top of the list.
    Quote Quote