VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before opening a video file, I get thumbnail view only for avi file in explorer window. But, not for other types viz. mp4, mkv etc. I remember that I used to get it for all types of files a long ago and I don't recollect as to what are the softwares I installed or uninstalled subsequently. Viewing the thumbnail is of great use to me to know the content of the video. I have windows 7 - 32 bit OS with FFdshow and Haali Media splitter installed in the system. I use VLC media player. Can any one suggest me the ways to get thumbnail view for all types of files.
    Image Attached Images  
    Last edited by shans; 27th Sep 2015 at 06:51. Reason: Haali splitter was wrongly written
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Download and use Icaros.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shaylen View Post
    Download and use Icaros.
    To install Icaros, I need to uninstall Haali splitter and install Lav filter, as commented by some members. Again to install Lav filter, I have to remove FFdshow as there will be conflicts between these programs. So, I need some guidance further.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I also have Haali and ffdshow installed with Icaros but I never had that problem.
    How are you getting that problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like VLC is set as the default icons. This is listed in a couple of searches:

http://superuser.com/questions/545708/thumbnails-for-video-files-are-not-showing-in-windows-7

and

http://www.sevenforums.com/music-pictures-video/81948-vlc-media-player-disabling-thumb...ws-videos.html

Basically the fixes just reinstall the correct registry entries to allow Media Previewing of thumbnails. Icaros does the same thing by undoing the VLC default as thumbnail generator. which it is not designed to do.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    Icaros does the same thing by undoing the VLC default as thumbnail generator. which it is not designed to do.
    I have installed Icaros and now I get thumbnails of all types of videos. Thanks Budman1.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shaylen View Post
    I also have Haali and ffdshow installed with Icaros but I never had that problem.
    How are you getting that problem?
    Actually when I wanted to download Icaros, I read other users comments and a bit hesitant to download it. Further after reading your views,
    I got confidence and installed. Now, I see the thumbnails of all types of video files like mkv, mp4 etc. I haven't uninstalled haali splitter and ffdshow as well. It works fine. Thank you Shaylen.
    Quote Quote