VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy PlayOn and record Netflix! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    falls into playback and other categories with the need for frame capture, so posting here. Please resite if inappropriate.

I used to use WinDVD4 as it will fill the screen with the video and a click of the camera icon ( also a key press I recall) captured the frame, one could do many captures (by that I dont mean 200 frames one after the other, but one per icon click) , one could then review captures and save those required. It would allow scrubbing or slow mo or frame by frame back and forth via a joggle wheel. brilliant. Then all this was removed.

Just what prog acts as a full screen player, with easy frame capture (no right click access a menu etc route each time) and scrubbing ability ?

I am with Media Player Classic but it doesnt scrub, it only reveals where the timeline cursor is when you stop moving it. Also whilst it will do frame capture , the captures are not the proportions of the viewed video but need resizing widthways in photoshop.

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am hoping someone will reply to this problem that I still have, posted 2 years ago !
    surely there is a prog that will play a video and stills capture it, and allow slo mo to and fro ? WinDVD was excellent but Corel f^&^$$ it up.

MPC doesnt scrub and also hitting stills capture button DOESNT CAPTURE AT THAT MOMENT !!!! but a later part of the video when the save key is hit !...thats just useless.

Jaksta sees fine black lines around all edges when playing if picture moves horizontal and also has no timeline visible and no scrubbing either.

VLC has the same menus etc and also those same thin alternate pixel black lines of a mm or two along edges when video moves horiz,, as if its the same software engine.

I need the capture to be the same shape as the movie viewed, when opened into photoshop, goes without saying does that, but try telling MPC that, theirs is narrower , though the .mts file came out same size. Jaksta's is ok.

DBenz
    Last edited by DBenz; 15th Jul 2017 at 15:06.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DBenz View Post
    VLC has the same menus etc and also those same thin alternate pixel black lines of a mm or two along edges when video moves horiz,, as if its the same software engine.
    I think you need to turn on the deinterlacer. I recommend Yadif 2x if your computer is fast enough.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    canon site says...Capture outstanding high bitrate AVCHD 1080p video with variable frame rates.

We had it set to AVCHD, Canon Legria G40
    MediaInfo tells me for the file filmed...:-
    24Mbps 25.0000fps

was this filmed on interlaced, I cant see mention of i or p anywhere. I WAS TOLD AVOID INTERLACED.

I seem to remember being told for normal dvd making and editing in Premiere Prom use 25fps progressive, or was that 50fps ??? as UK mains is 50Hz ?

seem to remember the G40 had no p option though, I may be wrong.

Guy setting it up in the test couldnt find the choices I thought it had.

spec says:-
    1920x1080 50p 28Mbps
    1920x1080 50i/25p 24Mbps 17Mbps
    1440x1080 50i/25p 5Mbps
    MP4
    1920x1080 50p 35Mbps
    1920x1080 25p 24Mbps, 17Mbps
    1280x720 25p 4Mbps
    640x360 25p 3Mbps

25 and 50fps.

we never saw that much.

AS OF VLC....if I click on the timeline I get a grey screen with artefacts for a second or so, thats not what I normally get when watching video.
    I am on automatic blend, I have run Yadif x2, still same, both remove those fine black comb dges, thanks for that advice.

This footage isnt the clarity and sharpness I expected at all, Canon G40 its jaded and lacking clarity, this is not HD, my MiniDv puts this to shame.

DBenz
    Last edited by DBenz; 15th Jul 2017 at 17:43.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Switch MediaInfo to View -> Text. That will tell you if the video is interlaced or progressive.

Otherwise, I don't know what you mean by "thin alternate pixel black lines of a mm or two along edges when video moves horiz". Post a sample image showing the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MediaInfo G40 footage.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	42344Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-00262 show comb edges.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	42345
    two images uploaded, one is the mediaInfo text as mentioned and the other a crop of the footage showing the fine black comb like edges when panning horizontal.

I cant tell from that info if its i or p, which line gives that data ?

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  7. Your video is interlaced. Just turn on the deinterlacer in VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    thanks,

which line in that text gives that data ?

Cheers

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  9. "Scan type" shows that info.
    Inside Every Older Person Is A Younger Person Wondering What The Hell Happened.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Note that MediaInfo only tells you how the video is encoded. It doesn't tell you if the video actually contains interlaced frames. Sometimes progressive frames are encoded interlaced (meaning that the codec treats the frames as if they are interlaced, compressing the two fields separately). Your screen cap is the final arbiter, it shows comb artifacts so the video is definitely interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Nothing straightforward in life !
    I have just run media Info on a video created on my Canon EOS 70D, setting used was 1920 25 ALL-I. it says progressive for scan type.
    I have always assumed that it was interlaced as the next setting offered is 1920 25 IPB

I need to check what ALL-I and IPB stand for, maybe they are all Progressive.

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  12. ALL-I means all keyframes (I frames) -- meaning each frame can be reconstructed from just the information for that frame, much like a JPEG image. IPB means the video contains keyframes (I), forward predicted frames (P), and forward/backward predicted frames (B). Predicted frames require information from other frames in order to be reconstructed. This leads to much more/better compression.

This has nothing to do with whether the frames are interlaced or progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi and many thanks,
    My Canon EOS70D only has those ALL-I and IPB offerings:-
    1920 25 ALL-I
    1920 25 IPB
    1920 24 ALL-I
    1920 24 IPB
    1280 50 ALL-I
    1280 50 IPB
    640 25 IPB

for the best quality video UK PC editing etc, Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, which one would be best ?

Still trying to find a prog that will do :-
    1. frame frame forwards and backwards .
    2. take stills by hitting a key or clicking an icon, and not having to go into a menu. Does anyone know of one ?

DBenz
    Quote Quote