VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I have a mkv file that plays fine on my PC on VLC but when I hook up my external hard drive to my bluray player via USB to play on my TV it says 'no movie content detected'.

Other mkv files play fine on my tv this way. I don't have HDMI out on my PC so doing this through my bluray player is the only way to get the best HD picture and sound.

Is there anything I can do to the file, to change it so it will play?

thanks for any feedback.

I'm not sure which category this should go so I'm posting it hear, if the mods want to move the thread.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try looking at the video with MediaInfo and post the text from it here. You can delete the titles if desired.
    MKV is just a container name. It can have many, many, variations that a set top player can't understand.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I think this got the right info...let me know if I need to send MediaInfo from another 'View' setting.

One thing I noticed looking at the chapter headings is that they are for the next Star Trek Movie, so there's a mix up there. Don't know if that would be accidental or not.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's encoded using hevc - h265. it's not going to play on bluray player i know of except an upcoming 4k player from samsung.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First with MediaInfo you don't need to attach the info as a file just copy and paste the info into the text.
    Mediainfo reports the video as HEVC http://x265.org/hevc-h265/ Not sure if any blu ray players recognise this format yet.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ryan88 - chapters belong to the different movie, in the same series
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...ok so there's nothing I can do with the File...once it's encoded it's encoded?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, you'd need to re-encode it to H.264 so media players would play it. HEVC players are not much around yet. Perhaps some sort of HTPC or android player powerful enough to play full HD HEVC.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ....ok so what program do I use to re-encode things. Unless that's a more technical thing than just dumping it into a program.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just re-encode with vidcoder.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote