VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Howdy, just trying to leverage your extended experiences with whats out there software wise nowadays

What is the best tool/method for this job?

Source: A single .m4v file encoded with H.264 & AAC in 1270x720 and 2 audio streams and approximately 1 hour long). The file has no DRM.

Destination: A single DVD-Video disk playable in a regular DVD player (assuming it can read DVD-R).

More Details:
    -No menu required, or even desired, just put the disk and it plays
    -Would be great to be able to set some chapter points (manually is ok) but the source has chapters in it as well so if it can pick up on those, even better.
    -Would prefer to maintain both audio tracks if possible, not mandatory though.
    -Prefere a free tool of course, with no Malware bundled or inappropriate adds displayed in it
    -A process that most general computer users can follow, this is not for me, its for a bigger group of not tech savvy users.
    -Client base is a mix of PC and Mac, so if you have thoughts for either platform please let me know

Thanks heaps to anyone who provides 'Video Help' on this matter

Guy
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hamstor, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz

And try AVStoDVD or others on 'https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/all-in-one-dvd-converters'
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hamstor View Post
    Source: A single .m4v file encoded with H.264 & AAC in 1270x720 and 2 audio streams and approximately 1 hour long). The file has no DRM.

Destination: A single DVD-Video disk playable in a regular DVD player (assuming it can read DVD-R).

More Details:
    -No menu required, or even desired, just put the disk and it plays
    -Would be great to be able to set some chapter points (manually is ok) but the source has chapters in it as well so if it can pick up on those, even better.
    -Would prefer to maintain both audio tracks if possible, not mandatory though.
    -Prefere a free tool of course, with no Malware bundled or inappropriate adds displayed in it
    -A process that most general computer users can follow, this is not for me, its for a bigger group of not tech savvy users.
    -Client base is a mix of PC and Mac, so if you have thoughts for either platform please let me know
    AVS2DVD will probably work, but you should be aware of the following regardless of the software used:
    - h264/AAC is not recognized by DVD players, nor can DVD players handle 1280x720 video. For DVD your 1280x720 video will be resized to 720x480 NTSC and re-encoded as MPEG2 with Dolby AC3 or PCM audio. If the 720p video is 60fps, it will be interlaced for 29.97fps DVD.
    - AVS2DVD can't be used on Macs. Macs have serious limitations when it comes to budget video software. Mac users can advise in more detail, but there's not much out there.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 25th Sep 2015 at 06:53.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, I appreciate that it will need to be recoded to standard def MPG2, however it will be in PAL, not NTSC in this case (source is 25fps).

I'll give that AVStoDVD a go tomorrow
    Last edited by Hamstor; 25th Sep 2015 at 06:52. Reason: extra info
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Then you probably know that PAL DVD is 720x576, in this case re-encoded for 16:9 display.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, thanks I'm highly conversant with the technical specs of the video required, I used to do a lot of professional video production but finished up a few years back (notice my profile here was created back in 2010). My request for advise was simply that of the best tool for the job with those specifics above. I used to author with the likes of TMPGenc and Sonic ReelDVD, but even if that software was all free it's beyond the knowledge of use for the people I am trying to help find a solution for in this case.
    Last edited by Hamstor; 25th Sep 2015 at 07:04. Reason: spelling!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer AVStoDVD myself, but some people say DVDFlick (Windows only) is easier to use.

For OSX, Burn may work, but since its ability to convert files is limited you should test it first. http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/easily_burn_movies_to_a_dvd_without_apples_idvd.html
    Quote Quote