VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I (as other users) installed DVD Styler 2.9.2 mac.dmg and it wouldn't open. The other dmg on their site 2.9.2multi-mac.dmg will frreeze on encoding up to minute 7/x. No matter how big the movie is, always at minute 7.

I didn't try the other versions.

How does picture quality compare to Toast and iDVD and Burn?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The author of this software has a Mac that he uses for testing and compiling his software. So it probably does work on some Macs.

DVDStyler 2.9.2 requires OS X ≥ 10.10 Yosemite. Since you have not filled out your computer details, does your system meet those requirements? If not, you must look for an older version of DVDStyler compiled for the version of OSX that you use. There is a list here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/create_dvd/dvdstyler_mac.cfm#all_versions

DVDStyler is apparently maintained by one developer. Sometimes busy people are not willing to spend a lot of time trying to obtain information from those who are asking for support. I saw your post on the DVDStyler support forum. You didn't provide a copy of the log file or error messages or detailed information about the file you are trying to author. (Search for dvdstyler.log, at least that is what the Windows version calls the log file.)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Sep 2015 at 13:10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am on Mac OS X 10.9, because as many agree 10.10 is not quiet "pleasant". If 2.9.2 is for 10.10 only, why doesn't he write the system minima on the page?

also what is the point in having a
    2.9.2-mac-install http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdstyler/files/dvdstyler/2.9.2/DVDStyler-2.9.2-MacOSX.dmg
    and
    2.9.2-multi-mac-install http://dvdstyler.en.uptodown.com/mac/download/106263
    when this is only for 10.10???

Yes, I did not say which file I tried to encode, but I probably noted that I tested it with numerous file types. Also you have seen, that I am not the only one who stated the same problem here in the Mac Forum.
    If I remember correctly, I also asked, if they use the latest encoder. They could at least have answered that question (at the time asking, I thought this was a community, where others can chime in and didn't know, that topics are only answered by the one and only developer).

How did you find out, that this version is for 10.10 only???
    Ah, I found it out. On the main page there is just a green download button for mac, which does not state anything, but if you navigate to "downloads" on the left, you see the info. So a lot might just take the green button and think the file is not working. (still why is there a "2.9.2multi-mac"file in the old versions list?

He did also change the postion of the download button, when I visited his homepage to download 2.9.2 there was a small link under the download button, tha linked to older version and one was presented the 4 last installs: 2.9.2-multi to 1.8.

On sourceforge there are of course numerous old versions.

Ah, found it, the other page, that one was directed to, when you clicked underneath the green download button is here (scroll down a lot, to go to the old versions):
    dvd styler .en.uptodown.com/mac/old <- write words together (Edit: had to write the link different, because the auto link function of the forum made a redirection to the videohelp inventory out of it).

Sorry, for asking, I might just try every version I find on sourceforge and then try to read the info below, what encoder version they use (they don't mention the system minima there, either).
    Last edited by MovingParts; 26th Sep 2015 at 12:56.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MovingParts View Post
    I am on Mac OS X 10.9, because as many agree 10.10 is not quiet "pleasant". If 2.9.2 is for 10.10 only, why doesn't he write the system minima on the page?

also what is the point in having a
    2.9.2-mac-install http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdstyler/files/dvdstyler/2.9.2/DVDStyler-2.9.2-MacOSX.dmg
    and
    2.9.2-multi-mac-install http://dvdstyler.en.uptodown.com/mac/download/106263
    when this is only for 10.10???

Yes, I did not say which file I tried to encode, but I probably noted that I tested it with numerous file types. Also you have seen, that I am not the only one who stated the same problem here in the Mac Forum.
    If I remember correctly, I also asked, if they use the latest encoder. They could at least have answered that question (at the time asking, I thought this was a community, where others can chime in and didn't know, that topics are only answered by the one and only developer).

How did you find out, that this version is for 10.10 only???
    Ah, I found it out. On the main page there is just a green download button for mac, which does not state anything, but if you navigate to "downloads" on the left, you see the info. So a lot might just take the green button and think the file is not working. (still why is there a "2.9.2multi-mac"file in the old versions list?

He did also change the postion of the download button, when I visited his homepage to download 2.9.2 there was a small link under the download button, tha linked to older version and one was presented the 4 last installs: 2.9.2-multi to 1.8.

On sourceforge there are of course numerous old versions.

Ah, found it, the other page, that one was directed to, when you clicked underneath the green download button is here (scroll down a lot, to go to the old versions):
    dvdstyler.en.uptodown.com/mac/old

Sorry, for asking, I might just try every version I find on sourceforge and then try to read the info below, what encoder version they use (they don't mention the system minima there, either).
    Welcome to the world of free and open-source software. LOL If you don't like the way it operates, then buy Toast.

[Edit] Oh, and one more thing, where did you get the idea that there is an official multi-mac version of DVDStyler 2.9.2 for OSX as well as an official Yosemite-only version? The DVDStyler.org website clearly says DVDStyler 2.9.2 for OSX requires Yosemite 10.10 or higher on its download page. There is only one DVDStyler 2.9.2 for OSX binary in the author's download repository on SourceForge, and I see no reason to think it is different from the version that can be downloaded from DVDStyler.org.

If you obtained DVDStyler from somewhere other than the author's Sourceforge repository, or the DVDStyler.org website, then DVDStyler's author is not likely responsible for it being there, or for the information provided in the description, or for the assumptions people want to make regarding the software.

[Edit 2]I took the opportunity to download the official DVDStyler 2.9.2 for OSX binaries from DVDStyler.org and the author's Sourceforge repository. Those appear to be identical.

The DVDStyler 2.9.2 for OSX binaries from uptodown.com and afterdawn.com contain the same number of bytes, but not the same number of bytes as the official binaries from dvdstyler.org and Sourceforge. Strange... Might they be a beta version?

In any case, uptodown.com hosts the only one of the 4 binaries I downloaded which includes "multi-mac" in the filename. I doubt that DVDStyler's author, Alex Thuering, is responsible for the presence of "multi-mac" in the filename for the binary from uptodown.com.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Sep 2015 at 09:39.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As usually_quiet mentions, many free/open source programs have these sort of issues. Especially when there is apparently just one dev and the program is for three platforms. The windows version I used to try was crap with a capital C.

I haven't tried the linux version ... that's all I run now ... since I don't convert video to DVD compliant and burn it anymore. Maybe a paid program would be best. I never ever found one of those free programs I actually thought was any good. AVStoDVD was the best of a bad lot, but it's not OS X compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    As usually_quiet mentions, many free/open source programs have these sort of issues. Especially when there is apparently just one dev and the program is for three platforms. The windows version I used to try was crap with a capital C.

I haven't tried the linux version ... that's all I run now ... since I don't convert video to DVD compliant and burn it anymore. Maybe a paid program would be best. I never ever found one of those free programs I actually thought was any good. AVStoDVD was the best of a bad lot, but it's not OS X compatible.
    DVDStyler's early Windows releases were pretty bad, but the program has improved over time. I try new versions of DVDStyler now and then, but I'm used to using other authoring software and have not found a good reason to learn how to use DVDStyler to its full potential.

I use quite a bit of free Windows software, some of which is very good, in my opinion, but much of it doesn't have versions for BSD, OS X or Linux available.

Some of the people here who primarily use OS X have indicated that they find it necessary to use Windows for working with video or audio at times because they can't find equivalent software for OS X that is able do what they want.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

+1+ Welcome to the world of free and open-source software. LOL If you don't like the way it operates, then buy Toast.

+2+ [Edit] Oh, and one more thing, where did you get the idea that there is an official multi-mac version of DVDStyler 2.9.2 for OSX as well as an official Yosemite-only version? ...
    1. If I was a developer, and wanted my freeware to be spread, I would clearly add little boxes that give version infos with every version I post

2. if you use that link "dvd styler .en.uptodown.com/mac/old" (you have to write the words together, if I type it together on here you will be redirected to videohelp)

Download the version that says 2.9.2, it will be labeled multi-mac.dmg (the link is from his homepage, under downloads, old versions).
    If he does name it "multi-mac" he could have as well called the other "10.10only-mac". Also, while I understand he wants to give his users software for the most recent versions, where is the point programming for 10.10, when the OS doesn't run perfectly, still. I would have concentrated on 10.9, which would have been usable under 10.10, too.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild 7.png
Views:	282
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	33822  

Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Some of the people here who primarily use OS X have indicated that they find it necessary to use Windows for working with video or audio at times because they can't find equivalent software for OS X that is able do what they want.
    Usually switchers from Windows to Mac. If you do not have the Pro software Final Cut, which you have to pay for, you have to use iDVD (which came free with every Mac). I could have just used iDVD, but it would have taken all decisions for me based on calculations, what it thinks will be best (in the case of mpeg2-DVDs). It is working well, as long as you don't want to have your own command over bitrates etc.

I also have Toast, which is cheap on Ebay. It works very well, too and you can set parameters at your wish and auto-correct settings, if you place them out of DVD-standard specs.

I just wanted to try DVDStyler, because everyone was so happy about Avidemux and its encoding capabilities, so I tried Avidemux. Then via the Avidemux guide I came to DVDStyler, which was recommended by their Forum FAQs. I was wrong from the beginning to think that using Avidemux would create a file that I could use with other apps (on a Mac at least).

Why didn't I use BURN, which seems to run flawlessly on Macs? Because people have found out, that the integrated encoder produces less picture quality than iDVD and Toast.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

+1+ Welcome to the world of free and open-source software. LOL If you don't like the way it operates, then buy Toast.

+2+ [Edit] Oh, and one more thing, where did you get the idea that there is an official multi-mac version of DVDStyler 2.9.2 for OSX as well as an official Yosemite-only version? ...
    1. If I was a developer, and wanted my freeware to be spread, I would clearly add little boxes that give version infos with every version I post

2. if you use that link "dvd styler .en.uptodown.com/mac/old" (you have to write the words together, if I type it together on here you will be redirected to videohelp)

Download the version that says 2.9.2, it will be labeled multi-mac.dmg (the link is from his homepage, under downloads, old versions).
    If he does name it "multi-mac" he could have as well called the other "10.10only-mac". Also, while I understand he wants to give his users software for the most recent versions, where is the point programming for 10.10, when the OS doesn't run perfectly, still. I would have concentrated on 10.9, which would have been usable under 10.10, too.
    My point is that uptodown.com, and afterdawn.com are NOT official sources for DVDStyler. DVDStyler's own website and the author's Sourceforge repository are the only truly official sources for the software. The fact that uptodown.com, and afterdawn.com supply compiled binaries for OSX versions of DVDStyler does not mean DVDStyler's author, Alex Thuering, controls what these websites do with DVDStyler or how they label what they have available.

It is even possible that someone other than Alex Thuering compiled the OS X binaries at uptodown.com, and afterdawn.com. DVDStyler is a GNU General Public License version 2.0 (GPLv2) project, and DVDStyler's source code is available to anyone.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Usually switchers from Windows to Mac.
    No, it's usually fairly advanced hobbyists or professionals.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I now tried every single version down to 2.4.2 on sourceforge.

2.9.2 (from sourceforge!)
    has rtf file that states: "requirements OS X 10.9.x"
    ---> it opens like the "Multi-mac-file" but crashes after import or when hitting "burn".
    ---> every version from 2.9.2 down to 2.5.2 does crash after hitting "burn"

2.5.2 only version that worked (on my 10.9 system),
    - but, while it doesn't re-encode the mpeg2-PS file created by Avidemux, it produces a different bitrate (source from Avidemux was 2560kpbs and DVDStyler 2.5 was 2400kbps, both counted without audio). It adds menues etc. and the result is a working DVD.
    - info text on sourceforge states it "added ffmpeg 1.2"

2.4.2 working version (on my 10.9 system)
    - working very well
    - does not re-encode (as it seems) and the file on the DVD has the exact same bitrate, like the mpeg2-PS Avidemux source. Result is a playable DVD.
    - info text states no ffmpeg version
    - however for 2.3 I found: "added support for libav 0.9 / ffmpeg 0.11 and chenged to use avconv tool to transcode.
    Last edited by MovingParts; 26th Sep 2015 at 21:00.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I now tried every single version down to 2.4.2 on sourceforge.

2.9.2 (from sourceforge!)
    has rtf file that states: "requirements OS X 10.9.x"
    ---> it opens like the "Multi-mac-file" but crashes after import or when hitting "burn".
    ---> every version from 2.9.2 down to 2.5.2 does crash after hitting "burn"

2.5.2 only version that worked (on my 10.9 system),
    - but, while it doesn't re-encode the mpeg2-PS file created by Avidemux, it produces a different bitrate (source from Avidemux was 2560kpbs and DVDStyler 2.5 was 2400kbps, both counted without audio). It adds menues etc. and the result is a working DVD.
    - info text on sourceforge states it "added ffmpeg 1.2"

2.4.2 working version (on my 10.9 system)
    - working very well
    - does not re-encode (as it seems) and the file on the DVD has the exact same bitrate, like the mpeg2-PS Avidemux source. Result is a playable DVD.
    - info text states no ffmpeg version
    - however for 2.3 I found: "added support for libav 0.9 / ffmpeg 0.11 and chenged to use avconv tool to transcode.
    Go to the DVDStyler support forum and read what the Alex Thuering wrote in reply to my question about official sources for DVDStyler. ...and if you want help more than you want to complain and prove me wrong, update your support question with your experience using DVDStyler 2.9.1 and include a log file!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Let me ask you a question.

Is this a legitimate download source? https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdstyler/files/dvdstyler/2.9.2/
    Why then, does the included rtf file state Mavericks 10.9 as the requirement, while his website states 10.10 Yosemite as requirement. Is it really so embarrassing that I think it would run under 10.9?

Is read the link you quoted, he says he doesn't have the time to downgrade his system to OS 10.9 after he has installed 10.10, because otherwise he couldn't use universal binaries. Well, I know you will call me a smartass again, but I was assuming that developers keep different OS versions on different partitions, so that they can test things. (At least that is what Cameron Kaiser the developer of TenFourFox does.).

I will upload a log file. My observation that no version after 2.5.2 (from 2013) doesn't work under 10.9 holds true, still, even more so, since others have the same problems, but it might well be, that the application is less spread in the Mac world.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let me ask you a question.

Is this a legitimate download source? https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdstyler/files/dvdstyler/2.9.2/
    Why then, does the included rtf file state Mavericks 10.9 as the requirement, while his website states 10.10 Yosemite as requirement. Is it really so embarrassing that I think it would run under 10.9?
    Yes you should be embarassed for not ever considering the possibility that the author, being human, might simply have forgotten to update the readme. You really can't stand to be proven wrong, can you? LOL

Is read the link you quoted, he says he doesn't have the time to downgrade his system to OS 10.9 after he has installed 10.10, because otherwise he couldn't use universal binaries. Well, I know you will call me a smartass again, but I was assuming that developers keep different OS versions on different partitions, so that they can test things. (At least that is what Cameron Kaiser the developer of TenFourFox does.).
    Why don't you share this tip with Alex Thuering? What are the chances he's not thought of this himself and has a reason for not doing it? Are you going to donate money to this project to help pay for the hard drive he needs?

[Edit]Or maybe the real reason is he doesn't have time to maintain his software for more than one version of OS X.[Edit]

II will upload a log file. My observation that no version after 2.5.2 (from 2013) doesn't work under 10.9 holds true, still, even more so, since others have the same problems, but it might well be, that the application is less spread in the Mac world.
    Maybe the reason that version failed for you is different from the reason it failed for those others? Plus you are not the only person in the world who thinks his problem can be solved with no log file and no error messages and no information about what he was doing other than "The program crashed when I opened it" or "The program crashed when I clicked "Burn" with several different video files."
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Sep 2015 at 14:38.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Just a last note for my defense. You didn't like, that I was not willing to upload a log file. ALex Thuering did say, there is no log file being saved, if the applications crashes on start or during encode. The log file is, what one sees in front of his face, when the encode is ready (the white window with the several lines of texts. I could see that log in the version that worked).

Why don't you share this tip with Alex Thuering? What are the chances he's not thought of this himself and has a reason for not doing it? Are you going to donate money to this project to help pay for the hard drive he needs?
    Even, for people who do not like me, it should be clear that this is a ridiculous argument. If he has no space free for another partition and needs a second Hard Drive, he could spend as little as 30,-EUR for a 32GB SSD (Mac OS X needs 6-20GB depending on what Apps you install along) or as little as 15,-EUR for a small HDD. If he has no internal slot, he can attach it via USB3, FW800 or FW400 (thunderbolt is to costly so I don't mention it). If he is in so much need of money, that he can't afford an expense of 15,-EUR than well, ok. Otherwise, it would be a worthy investment for someone who seriously codes.

I made him the offer of sending him a drive, lets see. (and I don't have a lot money, but I have a spare drive).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a last note for my defense. You didn't like, that I was not willing to upload a log file. ALex Thuering did say, there is no log file being saved, if the applications crashes on start or during encode. The log file is, what one sees in front of his face, when the encode is ready (the white window with the several lines of texts. I could see that log in the version that worked).

Even, for people who do not like me, it should be clear that this is a ridiculous argument. If he has no space free for another partition and needs a second Hard Drive, he could spend as little as 30,-EUR for a 32GB SSD (Mac OS X needs 6-20GB depending on what Apps you install along) or as little as 15,-EUR for a small HDD. If he has no internal slot, he can attach it via USB3, FW800 or FW400 (thunderbolt is to costly so I don't mention it). If he is in so much need of money, that he can't afford an expense of 15,-EUR than well, ok. Otherwise, it would be a worthy investment for someone who seriously codes.

I made him the offer of sending him a drive, lets see. (and I don't have a lot money, but I have a spare drive).
    Obviously I was being sarcastic about the "Tip". Funny that a rather petty and sarcastic person like yourself doesn't recognize it.

Your memory is certainly selective. Alan Thuering also wrote there is a log for the errors that occur during authoring. Authoring begins sometime after one clicks Burn, which you said is where some versions of DVDStyler failed.

At this point I can see no point offering advice to someone who is plainly more interested in arguing, proving he is right, complaining and being annoying in general, than solving his problems. Since you like keeping score, here is yours from me +1 for persistence and -100 for the bad attitude and the vast sense of entitlement
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Oct 2015 at 17:33.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I don't believe you meant it sarcastic.

Your memory is certainly selective. Alan Thuering also wrote there is a log for the errors that occur during authoring. Authoring begins sometime after one clicks Burn, which you said is where some versions of DVDStyler failed.
    That still means there is no log file being saved. So where is the point?

Bottom line is:
    - logs that are not created will not help Alex Thuering
    - DVDStyler has very low download statistics on sourceforge for Macs (-> might be because several people had no luck and so the App is rarely known in Mac Forums and hence only a low number even download it for a try. Even here are no other users that share their experience about DVDStyler in the Mac Subforum. --- Why then Alex Th. codes on a Mac is a mystery.)
    - 2.5 and 2.4.2 by the way work very good on my Mac.
    - No version after 2.5 works on Macs, so the problem had been there before his move to 10.10

I want to say sorry to you for being an a-hole, but some facts just are there, no matter if I might be right or totally wrong.

I would appreciate, if some other users here would share their "worked without problems on my Mac, OS xyz" or "not working here, too.". The only person that answered was Hoser_Rob, who had no luck under windows. Since there seem to be other persons for whom it worked under windows, there must be at least certain circumstances in that it works.

If I have the time, I will install 10.10 and try 2.9.2 and 2.9.3, which were said to work by Alex Thuering.
    Quote Quote