VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was using Virtualdub successfully to create AVI's from a sequence of images...sometimes around 25,000 jpegs. I decided to update my ffdshow the other night...and I basically just clicked okay over and over during the install....but afterwards I was no longer able to load an image sequence into Virtualdub. I click on "File->Open Video File-> and choose the first image in the folder." "Automatically load linked segments" is checked, but virtualdub only loads the first image and that's it. Any ideas? I would really appreciate some help. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How are the files named? like image0001.jpg, image0002.jpg, etc
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, they are written Frame_00112, Frame_00113, etc. Everything was working just fine until I installed the latest ffdshow. I've tried renaming the files to (1), (2), (3) etc. but that doesn't work either.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Uninstall ffdshow? Just to see how it works.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Stick with 8.3 filenames.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried renaming the files to 8.3 but no success so then I uninstalled ffdshow and no success either...........so then I just cut everything out of my virtualdub plugins32 folder and now it is working...so I guess I need to just put each plugin back in individually and see which one was causing the problem. I really appreciate the quick responses and your suggestions. I may be back if things go haywire again. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Let us know what plugin cause the problem...if you find it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. ffinputdriver.vdplugin
    Quote Quote  
  9. If that's why is happening in his case - The newest ffmpeg input driver has a priority option . You can also select "image sequence" from the "files of type" drop down box when you use file=>open to manually specify which input driver is being used
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    ffinputdriver.vdplugin
    FFinputDriver is the only plugin I use in Virtualdub and it opens image sequences perfectly. I just drag and drop the first image into Virtualdub shortcut and it opens all images as a sequence, just as it should. I never had any issues whatsoever......
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  11. actually I can reproduce the 1 frame issue with ffmpeg input driver.

@ racer-x - when you have it open, use file=>file information to see which "driver" is actually being used
    Quote Quote  
  12. Set the ffinputdriver.plugin priority to low so another input driver (VirtualDub's own internal image driver?) will be used.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Set the ffinputdriver.plugin priority to low so another input driver (VirtualDub's own internal image driver?) will be used.
    Yes, I thought that's the way you're supposed to do it.

Unfortunately, it still opens avs by default with ffmpeg input driver - and it can have problems (you still have to manually use the drop down method)

EDIT: my bad. Everything seems to work fine with the priority check box DISABLED (uncheckmarked), instead of set to low, medium or high, when opening by default, or drop & dragging

avs files get the AVI input driver (good)

image sequences get the default image sequence driver (good)

mp4,mkv get the ffinput driver (good)

AVI gets default AVI driver (good)

But your results might be slightly different if you have other input plugins installed
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 23rd Sep 2015 at 19:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    actually I can reproduce the 1 frame issue with ffmpeg input driver.

@ racer-x - when you have it open, use file=>file information to see which "driver" is actually being used
    It uses no "driver", just the default image reader......
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IS.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	33807  

Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  15. @racer - yes that's the default image reader (good)

If you manually select ffmpeg as the driver from the dropdown menu, or have the priority set - it will open 1 frame only . (The priority option is only available in the last 2 versions) . I made some edits above, but everything works the way I want it to with different formats when it's uncheckmarked

Nice "original" logo by the way
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use that logo, it was done years ago when I first was learning blender. You obviously know where I got the original project file.......
    Quote Quote  
  17. just giving you a hard time racer

I think that one is almost mandatory when first playing with 3D, blender or others... I did a similar one too... It's like what "shatter" is to 2D when first playing with 2D effects
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 23rd Sep 2015 at 19:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, we all have to start somewhere. Besides, blender is hard to learn.......
    Quote Quote  
  19. It's like a rite of passage. I think it was like my 3rd or 4th 3D project. My first was a 3D shatter....real original LOL

I agree blender can be tough

Anyways, I'm not sure what the ffmpeg input plugins priority setting is for then ....

This new version gets the RGB conversion correct with 709 when it's flagged in the stream
    Quote Quote