VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A friend of mine gave me a Video8 tape to transfer to digital for him. He told me that there is music, but that it is on some kind of alternate track "above" or "below" the standard audio. Im not sure what to make of this.

When I play the tape on my Sony DCR-TRV720, I don't get any music. I do get sound. Is it possible for this tape to have more audio stored elsewhere?

I understand that there were decks that recorded just audio to such tapes in PCM format, I think up to 6 tracks? But, this tape has video on it too, so it doesn't seem to use that technology.

I have read about Hi8 formats that included digital audio, but I have a Video8 tape, not a Hi8 tape (it has an 8 inside of a square). Yet perhaps this is what I have?

Can any one suggest cameras or decks that will play this tape with the music?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there was one hi8 and three video8 cams that could record "PCM Multi Audio Recording". i don't recall models but you should be able to google for them.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    there was one hi8 and three video8 cams that could record "PCM Multi Audio Recording". i don't recall models but you should be able to google for them.
    Thanks for identifying PCM Multi Audio Recording as the term for technology that records 6 tracks of audio on these tapes, but as I mentioned in paragraph 3 of my original post, I don't think that's what I have since this tape has video too. Was it possible for these tapes to have PCM Multi Audio Recording and video?
    Last edited by daave; 22nd Sep 2015 at 18:23. Reason: Added link.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    d8 cams could record on normal v8 tape. and there is a 12 bit 4 channel mode for dv. as for pcm mar audio and video on the same tape no it isn't possible.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    there is a 12 bit 4 channel mode for dv
    Are you referring to DV here, or a format that could exist on a Video8 tape?

Are you aware of a player that would play that back?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    D8 is a video format that puts DV streams/tracks onto Video8-style tape. And many/most (if not all) D8 camcorders and decks are designed to support playback (and possibly also recording) of Video8 and Hi8 formatted as well.
    So all of what aedipuss said was correct.

Also note that the usual way to access tracks 3 & 4 on most units (since they usually can only handle playback/recording of 2 tracks at a time) is via some switch (on back panel or in menu, etc.).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Scott, by D8, do you mean Digital8?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by daave View Post
    A friend of mine gave me a Video8 tape to transfer to digital for him. He told me that there is music, but that it is on some kind of alternate track "above" or "below" the standard audio. Im not sure what to make of this.

When I play the tape on my Sony DCR-TRV720, I don't get any music. I do get sound. Is it possible for this tape to have more audio stored elsewhere?
    Yes, it's possible that you have a Hi8 recording with 2 additional PCM audio tracks recorded on a Video8 cassette. Your DCR-TRV720 does not have the ability to play the PCM tracks. I ran into the same problem a couple years back and picked up a Sony EV-S3000 deck which is selectable for AFM (normal), PCM or mixed audio.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Yes, it's possible that you have a Hi8 recording with 2 additional PCM audio tracks recorded on a Video8 cassette. Your DCR-TRV720 does not have the ability to play the PCM tracks. I ran into the same problem a couple years back and picked up a Sony EV-S3000 deck which plays AFM or PCM audio.
    Thanks, JVRaines, that answers my question!
    Quote Quote