VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have stored personal data in SanDisk 2 GB flash drive. It shows up in win 7 pc, but unable to access the data. I get pop up like this "you need to format the disk in drive I: before you can use it". I have tried in other usb ports and in another computer as well. Could any one guide me to get back the stored data atleast. I am not keen to use the flash drive any more.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use partition recovery software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Person_J View Post
    Use partition recovery software.
    I have used a program downloaded from L Soft Technologies, Active@Partition Recovery. It shows the flash drive but doesn't detect the data.
    I have seen an exclamation symbol within a triangle.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try right click my computer - properties - device manager - usb and uninstall the flash drive.
    unplug flash drive and let windows reinstall it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    try right click my computer - properties - device manager - usb and uninstall the flash drive.
    unplug flash drive and let windows reinstall it.
    I did as you said. Evenafter doing so, it shows the same message as 'need to format the disk in drive I: before use'
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try right clicking on the flash drive and select properties - tools - error checking, check both boxes hit start.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What filesystem(s) was it previously formatted/partitioned with. Is it using MBR or GPT?

Systems that don't recognize a filesystem or that don't support GPT give exactly that kind of message.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    What filesystem(s) was it previously formatted/partitioned with. Is it using MBR or GPT?

Systems that don't recognize a filesystem or that don't support GPT give exactly that kind of message.

Scott
    I don't get what MBR or GPT mean. However, the flash drive didn't have any partition and it was formatted with FAT32 file system.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try right clicking on the flash drive and select properties - tools - error checking, check both boxes hit start.
    I tried what you said, but I keep getting the same message.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	flash drive.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	33795  

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    still in tools - what about the back up now option below error checking??
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    still in tools - what about the back up now option below error checking??
    I didn't use this flash drive for back up. I use portable extension HDD for that. However, when I clicked the back up tab, it tells me that expansion drive is not connected.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you have to try and recover the data before fixing the drive. these guys have a free version that's good for up to 2gb of data. http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery-software/
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get another flash drive and see if either of the systems show partition information.

Also confirm data on external drive on the other system is still available.

If the affected system reports same error, then

Go back into hardware devices and uninstall all devices listed under universal serial bus controllers.

From the lowest listed device first then the next above continuing until list under universal serial bus controllers is cleared.

On some systems you may lose mouse and keyboard response ... simply press and hold power button to force system restart.

System will reinstall those devices in the background ... so you might have to wait a bit to logon if not set to do it automatically.

Now reconfirm if system repeats error with flash drive after system detects and installs the device drivers for it.

---------------------------

Unfortunately flash drives / memory cards are prone to issues which render recover almost impossible ... most cases data corruption and in others total annihilation of both data and partition information for what appears for no reason.

Your best chance of recovery is via INSERT, I know active recovery is brilliant under windows os's but not in this situation.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Get another flash drive and see if either of the systems show partition information.

Also confirm data on external drive on the other system is still available.

Unfortunately flash drives / memory cards are prone to issues which render recover almost impossible ... most cases data corruption and in others total annihilation of both data and partition information for what appears for no reason.
    Thanks Bjs. I could access other flash drives through all usb ports available. So, there is no problem in my system. I am unable to access
    only this particular drive where I stored some personal data. Anyway, I have learnt a lesson in the hard way.

Thanks aedipuss - I tried the recovery program what you suggested but no luck. It works beautifully with other flash drives. I have even cleaned the contact surfaces gently.

Thanks october262, Cornucopia, Person_J
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds liked the flash drive has an issue such as a bad solder joint,my usb flash drive was doing the same thing and i had to resolder the connectors to the pins since the flash drive had been bent a few times at that joint.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Sounds liked the flash drive has an issue such as a bad solder joint,my usb flash drive was doing the same thing and i had to resolder the connectors to the pins since the flash drive had been bent a few times at that joint.
    Thanks johns0 - Could you please elaborate the procedure what you did step by step, showing a sketch would be even better.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't do that since there's so many types of usb flash drives.What i did was remove the plastic shell and soldered the pins that joined the usb connector,you need a good soldering iron/station with a fine point and know how to solder small joints without overheating and bridging connections.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Can't do that since there's so many types of usb flash drives.What i did was remove the plastic shell and soldered the pins that joined the usb connector,you need a good soldering iron/station with a fine point and know how to solder small joints without overheating and bridging connections.
    Thank you. Mine is with metal shell. I don't know to remove it and process further. So, I will drop the matter.
    Quote Quote