VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    i use this dvd-vhs recorder to record vhs into dvd-r disc.
    Then i can play this dvd-r disc in this device and it has recorded the vhs
    Into it.
    problem is that tgis dvd-r disc can not be played in my other dvd player
    nor my pc.
    note that my other dvd players and pc do indeed play other dvd-r discs
    but the ones recorded using this recorder
    do you know why?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you finalize the disc???
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,
    At the end of the recording there was an option to finalize the dvd which I clicked on yes.
    still can not play the dvd-r in other players except the one used to write to it from the vhs tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check your recording settings.

Only disks recorded in 'video-mode' will play in other players. You may have selected 'video-recording-mode'. It's a common mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Only disks recorded in 'video-mode' will play in other players. You may have selected 'video-recording-mode'. It's a common mistake.
    Can you please elaborate and what/where/how to select this 'video-recording-mode'?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arkiboys View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Can you please elaborate and what/where/how to select this 'video-recording-mode'?
    thanks
    do you not have the instruction booklet that came with your machine?? if not you can look online.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I checked the manual

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMRE75V.PDF

There does not appear to be this recording setting on this unit. The manual states that dvd-r recorded 'should' play on other players. It then adds a rider 'recording condition' which I take to refer to the media. Never heard of the brand you are using so that may be the issue here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    i use this dvd-vhs recorder to record vhs into dvd-r disc.
    Then i can play this dvd-r disc in this device and it has recorded the vhs
    Into it.
    problem is that tgis dvd-r disc can not be played in my other dvd player
    nor my pc.
    note that my other dvd players and pc do indeed play other dvd-r discs
    but the ones recorded using this recorder
    do you know why?
    thanks
    i suspect it's the discs you are using, i would try a different brand of blank discs. such as verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by arkiboys View Post
    At the end of the recording there was an option to finalize the dvd which I clicked on yes.
    still can not play the dvd-r in other players except the one used to write to it from the vhs tape.
    Sometimes the automatic finalizing option fails to activate. Load one of these dvds back in the recorder, then go to FUNCTIONS> DISC SETTING> FINALIZE menu and see if the manual FINALIZE button operates. If it does, OK the finalization, and when done the disc should be playable outside the recorder. If the FINALIZE button in the DISC SETTING menu is greyed out or inoperable, it means the disc was finalized automatically, but isn't playable outside the recorder for other reasons.

Also note: Panasonic recorders have a known issue with internal dust and grime accumulation eventually causing bad burns or failed dvds. If you get the same problem with two or three different brands of blank, your DMR-E75v may simply need the disc clamp/spindle inside the burner to be cleaned. You can do this yourself following instructions available at this link.

But before that:

Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    i suspect it's the discs you are using, i would try a different brand of blank discs. such as verbatim.
    Agreed, this is a common issue as recorders age. Try an inexpensive 5-pak or 10-pak of Verbatim AZO 16x blanks: these often work even if other brands of 16x blanks fail. The DMR-E75v dates back to 2004, which makes it a VERY old model: older recorders sometimes work better with old-style 8x media instead of more common 16x blanks. You can get 8x DVD-R under the Verbatim DataLife and JVC/TY brands at Amazon and other web dealers.
    Last edited by orsetto; 20th Sep 2015 at 18:43.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I checked the manual

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMRE75V.PDF

There does not appear to be this recording setting on this unit. The manual states that dvd-r recorded 'should' play on other players. It then adds a rider 'recording condition' which I take to refer to the media. Never heard of the brand you are using so that may be the issue here.
    I am still unable to play the dvd-r in other dvd players.
    Any suggestions please?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If a solution at the hardware level is not working, you can try one at the software level.

In other words, if your DVR isn't making discs that are valid DvD discs, for whatever reason, then make them valid.

Got Nero?

With NeroVision, I've been able to pull out data from "invalid" discs, from several DVR players, even from V/R mode, even if they're not finalized, and even if the Disc icon in My Computer doesn't show a valid load. It seems to see the streams for some reason.

If you have Nero, and succeed here, don't bother making final discs with your DVR. Just use it to migrate data to a PC, then with proper software you author, and make a final, and valid, DvD from your computer (which NeroVision does too).

It's not free software, but inexpensive, and IIRC there must be some trialware for you to try first.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    After finalizing it seems the quality of the dvd is not as good as the vhs. do you know why please? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After finalizing it seems the quality of the dvd is not as good as the vhs. do you know why please? thanks
    what recording mode did you use?? what kind of vhs tape is this ?? is something you recorded previously
    or is this like a hollywood movie.
    Last edited by october262; 23rd Sep 2015 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    what recording mode did you use?? what kind of vhs tape is this ?? is something you recorded previously
    or is this like a hollywood movie.
    Hello,
    This is something I recorded a long time ago.
    What recording mode? if you are referring to SP or LP? it it was ini SP in vhs.
    The point is that the quality of the vhs tape is good but after recording into dvd-r, when I watch it in the dvd-r disc, it is not a good quality.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, we are guessing when you say 'quality not good' as you need to be more descriptive.

Some well known issues with VHS to DVD.

1. VHS is very 'noisy'. You do not see that noise playing a tape direct to an older CRT tv but all the noise - seen as dots (or a mild snow-storm) gets captured.

2. VHS suffers from time-base issues. Again, you do not see these when viewing on a tv but they are seen when directly captured. You see wavy lines and picture jerks.

So are you seeing these or something else ?

Both are correctable but NOT in a VHS-DVD combi unit.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Apologies but I do not get your questions.
    Simply, the recorded dvd-r is not in as a god quality video as it is in the vhs.
    I am trying to find-out how to improve the video quality of the dvd-r once it is recorded from the vhs tape.
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by arkiboys View Post
    I am trying to find-out how to improve the video quality of the dvd-r once it is recorded from the vhs tape.
    thanks
    Realistically, once you copy VHS to a DVD using a recorder like your DMR-E75v, there is nothing you can do to improve the quality of that DVD. These recorders make the task easier, because they have the VHS and DVD in one convenient unit, but at best they make a "mediocre" to "adequate" dvd copy. To get a noticeably better picture, you would need an expensive old high-end VCR with special noise cleaning features, connected to a good PC video capture accessory, which copies to a huge PC video file that you can then try to improve with software filters. The adjusted files can then be converted to a standard DVD, but the quality may drop a bit because the DVD format is "lossy" (you don't get an exact copy of the PC files). Unless you have a lot of time and money to throw at this project, my suggestion is try to accept the results from the DMR-E75v: getting "better" quality using a PC requires some skills that can't be learned in a day or a week.

Also, re-read what DB83 wrote: he was explaining that digital video systems just don't "like" VHS, so the digital copy is usually not as good as the original tape. During digital conversion, a lot of the picture noise that is invisible (to our eyes) on the original tape gets amplified and exaggerated, making the DVD copy look muddier, blockier, grainier, jumpier- more "digitally dirty". There are some expertly skilled members of VideoHelp who can make truly amazing digital copies of VHS, but they have years of experience, a variety of hardware/software, and good intuition. The average person using a simple VHS/DVD recorder cannot achieve such results.

There ARE a few things you can do with the DMR-E75v to make your copies a little better. Most important, make sure the recording "speed" is set to XP (one hour per dvd) or SP (two hours per dvd): if you make DVDs at the LP speed, quality drops considerably on this model. Before making the dvd copy, play around with the tracking adjustment on the VCR until you get the clearest, least noisy picture. Finally, use the best possible playback setup for your television: if you have a modern flat LCD tv, play your discs in a separate DVD or BluRay player that has an HDMI connection optimized for modern TVs (this helps a LOT to make dvd copies of VHS look a bit clearer).

The DMR-E75v itself is older than HDMI, so does not have this connection, it only has composite, S-Video and component connections. Of these, component is the best and comes very close to HDMI performance: if you have a modern flat screen TV, use the component connection to your DMR-E75v. If you have an older 4:3 tube tv (CRT), the only possible connection is composite.
    Last edited by orsetto; 24th Sep 2015 at 11:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies but I do not get your questions.
    Simply, the recorded dvd-r is not in as a god quality video as it is in the vhs.
    thanks
    The best you can hope for is a setting that uses the highest bitrate possible, sometimes called "XP" or "Fine" depending on DVR, which is usually about 1 hour fitting on a single layer blank DvD.

This higher bitrate may improve the quality somewhat, but that, unfortunately, is the best you'll get out of such a unit.

Your combo unit was built for convenience, not quality.

EDIT: Sorry Orsetto, I just read your last post just now as you were posting roughly the same time. Didn't mean to echo what you said about quality settings, of which I agree.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 24th Sep 2015 at 15:11.
    Quote Quote  
  19. How do I adjust the tracking on the recorder to improve quality?
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by arkiboys View Post
    How do I adjust the tracking on the recorder to improve quality?
    Thank you
    Page 50 of your manual. The "channel" button right under the DVD button on your remote. To be specific, you adjust tracking on the player side, not the recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the tracking doesn't work for you, keep in mind, some tapes play better on some VCRs than others, and vice versa. It's just simply a fact that some tapes will just not track well on some VCRs.

If this is the case with yours, consider another VCR hooked into your combo that may track this tape better (if, of course, it's got A/V input). Most of us here use at least three VCRs for our captures.
    Quote Quote