VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I Have a Jvc DR-MV150B DVD/VHS VIDEO RECORDER Combo..I Have Been Recording on Dvd-r TDK Brand Disc and have had no problems..I recently purchased Verbatim DVD-RW 4x SERL .Verbatim is recommended by JVC as a compatible disc...When i inserted the disc it was unable to read any of them. However i can insert it in my Pc and It recognizes it right away.. My unit was made in 2009 . Im not sure if i bought the right disc..Im a newbie to this... Please Help..ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	verbatim.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	33722
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your manual should tell you what disks are compatable.

It is not the brand that matters but the speed of the disk. Many recorders will baulk at disks over 2x. Even disks rated 1-4x can fail. I know since my Sony refuses to record on such disks even though the manual will state 2x. With my recorder I found Sony Disks 2x/1x do work. But I tried many others and just got lucky with these.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Recommended recordable DVD discs
    DVD-R
    Mitsubishi(8x,16x)
    V
    erbatim(8x,16x)
    JVC(8x,16x)
    -
    DVD+R
    Mitsubishi(8x,16x)
    V
    erbatim(8x,16x)
    JVC(8x,16x)
    -
    DVD-RW
    Mitsubishi(4x)
    V
    erbatim(4x)
    JVC(6x,4x)
    Maxell(4x)
    DVD+RW
    Mitsubishi(4x)
    HP(4x)
    V
    erbatim(4x)
    Ricoh(4x)
    DVD-RAM
    Mitsubishi(3x)
    Maxell(5x) This is what it recommends but it did not work... i could only get a TDK Brand dvd-r to work i tried sony and memorex and the device would not read the dvd-r 16x only the TDK

JVC(3x)
    Last edited by itsjstkim; 18th Sep 2015 at 08:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Those disks might well have worked back when that manual (you said 2009) was published.

The other issue is that disk dyes have changed. Even manufacturers - most of these brands do not make their own disks - have changed. It really comes down to trial and error.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A recorder getting picky with discs(when it never did before) is a sign that it is on it's way out......usually. Get your pending recordings done soon.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    when i bought this recorder i never had any vhs tapes to transfer..i only played DVD and VHS. My mother passed away recently and i got all my dads old vhs home movies from the 1990s.. so just the last 2 weeks i have started using the recording part of the device.. i was confused about the media disc i heard some are only compatible for media on the pc and not for video recorders.. i was going to try a Maxwell brand x4 or less just dont know what to do.. i cant keep spending $$ for disc that wont read....the device hasn't been used a lot even for watching movies.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by itsjstkim View Post
    when i bought this recorder i never had any vhs tapes to transfer..i only played DVD and VHS. My mother passed away recently and i got all my dads old vhs home movies from the 1990s.. so just the last 2 weeks i have started using the recording part of the device.. i was confused about the media disc i heard some are only compatible for media on the pc and not for video recorders.. i was going to try a Maxwell brand x4 or less just dont know what to do.. i cant keep spending $$ for disc that wont read....the device hasn't been used a lot even for watching movies.
    Verbatim DVD-RW is good media and the manufacturer hasn't changed it much (if at all) for years. It should work with most DVD recorders, especially if it is recommended by the manufacturer.

Even if your DVD recorder wasn't used often, the DVD drive may still be starting to fail. Even withing the same model, some drives die much sooner than others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I understand that......but that does not change the fact that your machine is exhibiting the first signs of it DYING. That's it. It's a recorder but playing a DVD is still "use" of the laser. I have 3 VCRs here that still work perfectly, and I've lost count of how many DVD players I've gone through over the years. The DVDs themselves were built to last....not the machines.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Is there another brand of disc you would recomend trying and should i try a 2x instead of 4x?
    Quote Quote  
  10. The "media recommendations" in most recorder manuals are dubious: the list in yours is meaningless (just a list of every brand on the market at the time). As others have advised you, ignore the manual and stick to what actually works for you.

Standalone recorders are strange persnickety beasts: they like what media they like, and nothing else. This gets to be a problem as they age, because blank media is not static: the formulas change, speed ratings change, brand names change owners, brands decide to subcontract to other mfrs instead of making their own, etc. So if your recorder consistently fails with a particular type or speed of blank from a particular brand, cross it off your personal list. Your JVC clearly doesn't like these newer Verbatim 4x RWs, so get a refund on them (if you still can) and go back to whatever slower discs you were buying previously. You may need to order them from web dealers now: retail stores stock very limited range of brands and speeds. It is hard to recommend a brand for RW because RW changes production constantly. For -R or +R, any Verbatim with the AZO trademark is known-good, and 8x JVC/TY -R is excellent. Everything else is a roll of the dice today: mfrs could care less if it works or not in a recorder, since recorders are "obsolete" as a mass-market product.

Also keep in mind what hech54 said: increased pickyness with media is often a sign the unit is beginning to fail. Your JVC DRMV-150B is closing in on six years old: that is roughly the max lifespan for most of them before they croak. Try other media until you find some that works, then finish whatever VHS dubs you have left to do ASAP. Don't let unfinalized DVD-R, +R or -RW pile up: if the recorder dies suddenly, you'll be left with a stack of unplayable discs. One of the most frequent thread topics is "my recorder died: how can I finalize my discs?" - don't let this happen to you, finalize full discs promptly. If you prefer RW erasable discs, +RW might be better since it doesn't need to be finalized like -RW, -R and +R (+RW should be compatible with most players as-is).
    Last edited by orsetto; 18th Sep 2015 at 10:14.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    If i record all my vhs tapes as they are on dvd-r that is currently working. Is there a program for the pc that i can use to edit my dvds ..most vhs tapes have all kinds of subjects on the same tape.. i was wanting to pet like birthdays and christmas on there own disc. thats why i was trying to use rw disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Silly question time.

You did format (or tried to format) the RW disk before attempting the VHS >> DVD dub ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If i record all my vhs tapes as they are on dvd-r that is currently working. Is there a program for the pc that i can use to edit my dvds ..most vhs tapes have all kinds of subjects on the same tape.. i was wanting to pet like birthdays and christmas on there own disc. thats why i was trying to use rw disc.

Try the following combination:

Step 1: Use VOB2MPG's free version to convert recordings to mpg files on your PC for editing.

Step 2: Use MPEG-VCR to edit the mpg files. Download MPEG-VCR V3.14.7.2 (2009-06) if you have Windows 7 or Windows 8.x. MPEG-VCR cuts on any frame It has a free trial and costs $19 to purchase.

Step 3: Use DVDStyler (free) to author a new DVD from the edited material in the mpg files.

Step 4: Test the DVD files and folders from DVDStyler with VLC (free) before burning. ...or use those DVD-RW discs to create DVDs to test with a DVD player before burning a DVD-R disc as a permanent copy. DVD-RW looses data integrity over time so do not use them for permanent storage.

Step 5: Use Imgburn (free) to burn DVDs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Sep 2015 at 16:09. Reason: Added steps for the OP to follow
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    there is no silly ? for me im new to this so all i did is put it in my recorder ... with my dvd-r it just goes into audio video mode and then i select the part of tape to start dubbing ....then i finalize at the end...so i have no idea about format on the rw..lol
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    i have windows 7 on my pc and i also have the VLC viewer
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I want to thank everyone who has posted on this..I need all the help i can get.. I welcome all Help and Ideas...I have been quite frustrated with this ... i have searched online and have had no help until now..everyone wants $$$ for Help...Thanks Friends
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there is no silly ? for me im new to this so all i did is put it in my recorder ... with my dvd-r it just goes into audio video mode and then i select the part of tape to start dubbing ....then i finalize at the end...so i have no idea about format on the rw..lol
    I took a look at the manual for your recorder. When you load a blank DVD-RW disk, the recorder is supposed to bring up an "Initialize" menu. If the Initialize menu doesn't appear on its own, try using the Initialize option on the Setup menu to bring it up. Use Video Mode for initializing DVD-RW. Discs recorded in -VR mode are only playable on the DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    thanks i will try this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by itsjstkim
    everyone wants $$$ for Help...
    Oh, you didn't read the fine print? There's a bill coming from us too.

Kidding.

Sites and online offers that charge money for info are likely run by a generation of "Internet Immigrants" (people not born, or didn't grow up, with the Internet as a common household service). They still believe in the "sell info by mail" concept. Either they haven't a clue that lots of good info is available online for absolutely free today, or they're targeting those that still don't get it.

Anyway, as per your disc issue, I still don't know why you're still trying with the Verbatim. Does it work fine going back to the TDK discs?

And don't bother trying to figure it out logically. Even if it does work fine now with the TDK, just finish up your pending projects ASAP as per the advice here. Be prepared in advance because, unfortunately, these players weren't built to last. It could still die any day. My Pioneer 520 still works fine, but not without its issues, or repairs, over the 11 years. But the other two I've had as backups, and any other DVR that any friend or family member of mine has had, have all died out since (and not worth repairing today).

Originally Posted by itsjstkim
    Oh, what a mess!

Many of my VHS tapes had been like this over the years, music videos and sports games, a documentary, a personal recording from a camera, etc - all on the same tape. I was cleaning messes that were decades old! I seriously wish I could go back in time and slap the younger me for the headache delivered to me later.

Do yourself a favor and dump all this content on a hard drive, and work from there after. Yes, capture and burn to re-recordable media if that is how you acquire it, and burn to disc media after you're done sorting it out if that's how you like to have it in the end - but in between take advantage of the huge work space of modern hard drives and use some good apps available for this (such as those suggested).

Trying to do this disc-to-disc is going to be a nightmare (and likely put more strain your player and all your drives).
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    using the Mpeg -vcr should it be mpg 1 or 2 ..i want to be able to play these dvd in my player not just my pc?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    using the Mpeg -vcr should it be mpg 1 or 2 ..i want to be able to play these dvd in my player not just my pc?
    MPEG-2 is better. MPEG-VCR can do smart encoding when exporting the edited video. (Meaning it only re-encodes a few frames at the cut points.) You don't want to re-encode the whole file. If you do smart encoding, then the video will still be compatible with both a dvd player and a PC, but you need to author DVD video discs (creates a correct DVD file and folder structure) for the DVD player. DVD players don't often play mpg files burned as data.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, if you're going to edit MPEG-2, it is highly recommended you use a dedicated MPEG-2 editor, like Womble's MPEG Video Wizard, VideoReDo's TV Suite, or TMPGEnc MPEG Editor. Neither are free, but worth it. (I don't know a good simple free one for beginners.)

Using an editor that isn't MPEG-2 friendly would add much time to your projects and may degrade the video.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    ok what i have so far is i put a dvd that i recorded on from my vhs using my recorder its on a dvd-r. i have opened it in the VLC media player... Im not sure what to do next.. i noticed the above mentioned items you suggested one is for author (dvd styler)... what steps are used to do this process....from start to finish? is there a tutorial ? im a newbie and i have so much to learn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't use 4x DVD-RW in this recorder.
    You need to use 16x DVD-R pr 2x DVD-RW.
    It's not dying.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok what i have so far is i put a dvd that i recorded on from my vhs using my recorder its on a dvd-r. i have opened it in the VLC media player... Im not sure what to do next.. i noticed the above mentioned items you suggested one is for author (dvd styler)... what steps are used to do this process....from start to finish? is there a tutorial ? im a newbie and i have so much to learn.
    I re-wrote post #13 as a series of basic steps. Maybe that will help.

I think there are some tutorials for using DVDStyler and ImgBurn around if you search for them using Google.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    It's not dying.
    One of the top thread subjects on several dvd recorder forums for the past two years has been "My JVC DRM-V150BB (or LG twin) is dead and nothing at all like it is available to buy new anymore: what can I do to finalize my 400 half-recorded dvds?" Thats not a slam against the JVC 150: before that it was "My Panasonic Model X" and before that "My Pioneer Model X," its just now become the JVC 150s turn (as the last "hot" model made). DVD recorders fade after 5-6 years consumer use: its the norm. Some are lucky and get eight or nine years, but those were older more-repairable models like your JVC DRM100 (that you have invested some effort in maintaining, beyond what the typical consumer might do).

itsjstkim, your recorder is probably OK at the moment, it just works more reliably with some blanks than others. But it is getting older and irreplaceable, so its still a good idea to keep track of unfinalized discs and not let too many accumulate. Never hurts to have a good workflow.
    Last edited by orsetto; 18th Sep 2015 at 17:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    "My {insert brand name here} DVD recorder is dead and nothing at all like it is available to buy new anymore: what can I do to finalize my 400 half-recorded dvds?"
    I get this all the time. JVC is actually not the most common model.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks guys i might go ahead and try and order a x2 dvd-rw is there a recommended person to but from online and a recommended brand? Thanks friends.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of the DVD-RW media available is 4X.

Verbatim's website only lists single DVD-RW 2X discs in a jewel case. I found that product at Walmart's website and B&H Photo and Video's website. Very few places are selling Verbatim DVD-RW 2X in larger quantities, which I guess is old stock.

Other than that, I found Sony: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013926-REG/sony_25dmw47spm_dvd_rw_4_7gb_recordable_media.html

...and Maxell http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/509951-REG/Maxell_635117_DVD_RW_4_7GB_DVD_Disc.html

Verbatim 2X lasted longer for me and was more reliable than either Sony or Maxell. Most of my DVD-RW 2X disks are an Office Depot product that is no longer available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on how you use "dying", and the context.

In theory, all electronics, and even human beings, are "dying", even if completely healthy and functioning at the moment. It just depends "when".

I think the point most are making here is that DVRs are highly likely to die much quicker - a quicker "when" than usual for electronics of its nature. A currently healthy functioning DVR today doesn't mean it's not about to die tomorrow. From my experience, I've seen these things die out, with no warning or even any outlier behavior as was suspected in this thread. I can happen, just like that, just one power cycle later.

I too will stress to finish up those unfinalized discs and any outstanding HDD content ASAP, or keep them minimal at worst.
    Quote Quote