VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This seems to be a minefield; and I am already feeling injured. Wondershare, Aimersoft and iSkysoft seem to be same Chinese company putting out false advertising, and according to one video site, they have asked people NOT to buy this. I need to convert my DVD AND my Blu-ray collection to Mpeg4 or any file that will allow me to store on a portable HDD and play, through USB, on my computer AND television (yes, it does have a USB port). I am finding it just about impossible to find software to do this. Can someone please help. When/if I do, I also assume Mpeg4 is the best output - what is the difference between H264 and H265 - I assume the 5 is better?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vonjazz View Post
    This seems to be a minefield; and I am already feeling injured. Wondershare, Aimersoft and iSkysoft seem to be same Chinese company putting out false advertising, and according to one video site, they have asked people NOT to buy this. I need to convert my DVD AND my Blu-ray collection to Mpeg4 or any file that will allow me to store on a portable HDD and play, through USB, on my computer AND television (yes, it does have a USB port). I am finding it just about impossible to find software to do this. Can someone please help. When/if I do, I also assume Mpeg4 is the best output - what is the difference between H264 and H265 - I assume the 5 is better?
    Try MakeMKV, which is free while in Beta. When the key expires, you can download MakeMKV again and install it with the new key. MakeMKV produces an MKV file containing the main movie with its original audio and video. Handbrake or Vidcoder can further compress the video if you wish.

H.265 can encode to smaller file sizes than H.264 with the same apparent quality, but only some 2015 TV media players can play H.265/HEVC. Most TV media players for the past 3-4 years can play H.264/AVC in an MKV or MP4 container. Media restrictions should be explained in the manual.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Sep 2015 at 15:11.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVDFab (Decrypter portion is free) to rip to hard disk and VidCoder to convert to MP4.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or install AnyDVD or DVDFab Passkey. Background dvd rippers.

Then convert to MP4 or MKV with VidCoder or Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I often use XmediaRecode (free) which opens a DVD and lists all de MPEG-streams which are on it.

You can choose which one(s) you want and render directly to whatever format you need
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Try MakeMKV ...
    +1

It will extract the "main movie" from either DVD Video or Blu-ray to an MKV without converting the content streams; from here it is easy to convert it to any other format using AviSynth with L-SMASH Source as universal source plugin.

Only in some special cases you might consider preferring eac3to for lossless HD/core extraction or dts/AC3 conversion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why use two software all the time? I'm using DVD Ripper Speedy. This dvd ripper is nice n free. to Mpeg4 is very fast.
    Quote Quote