VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    LOL sharp is hoping to get them to consumers by 2020. can you see comcast or any of the others upgrading by then? 4K material is hard enough to come by.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/worlds-first-8k-tvs-to-sell-for-133000/
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have preordered one. I will be watching my VCDs on it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, now all that I need is a 240-inch screen..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

you must have a super refrigerated clean storage room for your vcd discs. mine all tended to rot away years ago.....
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    weird that people want these TVs given that people are happy with truly crummy cell phone pics from cameras than have no real zoom lens...go figure.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  6. You know, I often use my TV to display family photos. I think this would make a good display for that, no?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    LOL sharp is hoping to get them to consumers by 2020. can you see comcast or any of the others upgrading by then? 4K material is hard enough to come by.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/worlds-first-8k-tvs-to-sell-for-133000/
    Only $133,000.00... It makes that $25,000.00 77-inch UHD OLED LG TV I saw on Best Buy's website seem like a bargain.

Comcast is pushing their X1 whole-house DVR system like crazy. Supposedly there will be soon a new Xi5 STB available for the the X1 system which is capable of delivering UHD content. http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-to-launch-4k-uhd-set-top-box

I don't plan on getting a UHD TV for at least several years, but since I prefer smallish TVs, it is hard to say what the selection will be like.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

you must have a super refrigerated clean storage room for your vcd discs. mine all tended to rot away years ago.....
    I have invested a lot in super non fungus storage rooms for all my discs. [emoji41]
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I don't plan on getting a UHD TV for at least several years, but since I prefer smallish TVs, it is hard to say what the selection will be like.
    I am no prophet, but I am pretty sure several years in the future you won't be able to find an HDTV in a big box store just like you can't find an SDTV today.

As for Comcast pushing their whole house DVR, of course, too many cable cutters with the rise of streaming a la Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sling, HBO Now, and on and on.

Also, I love my 70" HDTV. It has become my goto device for analyzing encode quality. Hard to see artifacts that my monitor doesn't show well are crystal clear on it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

I have invested a lot in super non fungus storage rooms for all my discs. [emoji41]
    To this day, I can't bring myself to order mushrooms on my pizza...

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I am no prophet, but I am pretty sure several years in the future you won't be able to find an HDTV in a big box store just like you can't find an SDTV today..
    I said "I don't plan on getting a UHD TV for at least several years." I didn't say I'd stay with HDTVs forever. My HDTVs are not that old and since UHD content won't become cheap and common for some time, I can wait.

[As for Comcast pushing their whole house DVR, of course, too many cable cutters with the rise of streaming a la Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sling, HBO Now, and on and on.
    No, Comcast is pushing their whole-house DVR to be more competitive with satellite providers and TiVo, which have made whole-house systems their focus for a little longer.

Also, I love my 70" HDTV. It has become my goto device for analyzing encode quality. Hard to see artifacts that my monitor doesn't show well are crystal clear on it.
    How come you don't have a 70-inch OLED UHD TV yet?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm waiting for the 8K eye implants.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

OH my GOD that's what i forgot!!!! the fungicide!
    --
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    How come you don't have a 70-inch OLED UHD TV yet?
    It is not for lack of want. My 70" is only about two years old. 4K was too new and expensive when I got it, and size was more important than resolution given the size of my living room/wall. I am not ready to send it to the dumpster just yet. I fully anticipate my next TV will be 4K or higher, but it will have to be at least 70", preferably higher.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Meanwhile, our 34" Panasonic CRT is ten years old, definitely not as crisp as the larger Samsung LCD upstairs, but quite watchable.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    8K? This makes me very happy that I completely passed up 4K, and convinces me that 8K will be followed quickly by 16K, 32K, and 64K. I will have saved a lot of $$$ by avoiding all this nonsense and expect to continue saving by ignoring 128K snd beyond.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Gotta get me a 20" 8k tv so i can watch it up really close.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Gotta get me a 20" 8k tv so i can watch it up really close.
    just make sure to use fungicide on it every week or you may lose pixels. and your eyes if you get too close
    --
    Quote Quote  
  19. No, No, fungus only attacks CD's and DVD's. There is no evidence that fungus attacks television sets. (yet)
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    No, No, fungus only attacks CD's and DVD's. There is no evidence that fungus attacks television sets. (yet)
    haha are you sure??? those pixels are mighty tasty!
    --
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Fungus will attack toes so don't change any channels on your remote with your feet.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm waiting for Infinite-K and that's not a breakfast food
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search PM
    I see that he who shall not be named is still with us in spirit.
    Fungus can't attack 2k because the pixels are too far apart, but 8k -- they are just right.
    Last edited by gonca; 17th Sep 2015 at 18:01. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  24. Finally, it is going to be so clear that I can put my glasses away, hey It will fix my vision just as Jesus Christ would.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still watching stuff on my GE 19" tube TV from the mid 80's. No widescreen or HD here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not lugging any 100+" TVs around the house when the wife redecorates. I'll get the 3lb, 500,000 hour, 100,000 retina burning lumen, 8K Hybrid LED/Laser direct sunlight projectors for my house. Big big picture but I'll have to use earbud speakers though cause she doesn't like loud sounds.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    I'm not lugging any 100+" TVs around the house
    In the future you'll be able to roll them up for easy transport.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    This makes me very happy that I completely passed up 4K
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm not getting one unless it bends round corners and comes with a free head up jet pilots display with built in telescopes for each eye
    to watch the 5D movies everyone is now making.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    I'm waiting for the 8K eye implants.
    Thanks for the heads up ....... where did you get yours ??
    Quote Quote