VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm archiving VHS tapes to digital discs. To reduce number of discs, Bluray is best option. I read that 11 hours of MPEG-2 SD video can fit onto a 25GB Bluray disc, so I assume AVCHD can fit twice that amount with comparable quality. Am I right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Size is all about bitrate.

Your example of 11 hours Mpeg-2 would be at a bitrate of 4000 kbps. You should actually get atleast 12 hours.

But to double the storage you are reducing the bitrate to 2000 kbps (if my maths is correct). Can a BD player actually handle that ?

So, actually, to maintain a decent visual quality you half the run time. Not double it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. but AVCHD is H.264 which can achieve comparable quality to MPEG-2 at half the bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hence my rider as to whether it will play.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, I'm just spitballing here, but if you had a standard SD DVD at great quality, it would likely have ~8Mbps video bitrate in Mpeg2 format. But you could maybe get by in so-so quality at half that (4mbps), or poorer quality at a third/quarter of that (2-2.5mbps). Assuming full D1 resolution.
    Extrapolating to AVC, which ought to be roughly twice as efficient, you would have 4, 2, and 1-1.25mbps for comparable quality.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13th Sep 2015 at 20:41.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've put on over 20 hours of sd mkv(h.264)on a blu-ray disk as data and on another as authorized blu-ray with no issues with a 4 year old sony as the bd player.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote