VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello guys,

So i have a 2 part movie (2 different .avi files - cd 1,2 ) and i want to make 1 file with a few cuts from those 2. Problem is - a scene is continued in the next movie part ......

I'm using MKVToolNix v.8.3.0 ('Over The Horizon') 64bit, i add the first part of the movie (cd 1), then add cd 2 as an additional part to the existing input file - cd 1. I then proceed to Output - Splitting - by parts based of time codes. The length of cd 1 is 01:12:35.

The scene i need help with starts at 01:03:12 and is continued in the next movie part, ending at 00:24:44 in cd 2. One solution would be to just join the 2 cd's and then do the split, but i was wondering how to do it the other way. The scene ends in cd 1 at 01:12:35, so i added another 24:44 to that time - giving me 01:37:19. I try to split like below, but the resulting file is only from cd 1......

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	670
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	33630

Any ideas, please ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I assume it's a bug, although I'm using an older version of MKVMergeGUI, but the "additional parts" option doesn't work for me at all with AVI input files, even without splitting (edit: it's not a bug, see next the post).

Instead of adding the second part as an "additional part" though, using the "append" button works fine for appending AVIs (I assume the new GUI still has an append button). As a result, so does splitting based on timecodes the way you're wanting to do it.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 13th Sep 2015 at 06:47.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I made two copies of an mpeg file and used "additional parts" to append the two copies to the original. According to MediaInfo the output MKV was three times the length of the original, and it was definitely much bigger, but MPC-HC's navigation bar only showed the original duration and not the duration of the three parts combined.

So I Googled and found this:
    https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/wiki/Appending-files-vs.-adding-as-additional-parts
    It seems most of the time (split vob files being the main exception) you need to append files with the append button and not via "additional parts".
    Now I know why I never got the "additional parts" function to work correctly when the feature was first introduced.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I used append on cd2, and with the same timecodes i came up with at first now IT WORKS !! It's like it sees it as one bigger .avi file. I just have to calculate the minutes every time i do this with more than one input file, which is not really a problem ..... but it would have been easier to somehow select the file when you write the timecode, or do something like file1: HH: mm: ss-HH: mm: ss,+file2: HH:mm: ss-HH: mm: ss, OR, file1: HH:mm: ss-file2: HH: mm: ss.

Thanks hello_hello ! For simple cut / join MKVToolNix does the job for me beautifully, that + Asfbin or Demuxer for WMV files and i'm done
    Quote Quote  
  5. Maybe for AVIs you could try VirtualDubMod. It'll append them and edit without re-encoding if you select "direct stream copy" for the video compression method.
    If you have start and end edit points selected the "File/Save As" menu will save the section as a new AVI, or you can delete sections and save what's left etc. It has keyframe navigation buttons for jumping between keyframes and it has a preview......

Edit: depending on the video format and decoder the preview mightn't always display the correct frame when moving backwards and forwards (sometimes it's out by a keyframe or two), but it's probably still better than no preview at all. Navigating only in a forward direction should be fine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Or try Video To Video Converter. It has a splitter and commercial remover under the Tools menu with a preview, and it'll work with lots of file types. You can remux from one container to another in the process. There's a portable version that doesn't try to install any extra crapware (the installer does if you don't pay attention and tell it not to).

I hadn't heard of Asfbin. I'll check it out.
    Quote Quote