VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am a teacher at a highschool who oversees the video production and film program. This summer, after fundraising and applying for grants, we have been given the go-ahead to create some studio space for students to film in.

I know it’s not the perfect setup, but we’re pretty excited to have it. I will be the first to admit that I am not an expert when it comes to lighting which is why I’m getting in touch. I need some advice (and hopefully a rough estimate) to doing a proper set of mounted lights. We have external mobile lights already, but I want to do everything I can to get some nice uniform lighting on the green screen.

Attached are some pictures and measurements of the setup. They’re also found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5892902/StudioPics.pdf. Basically, it’s 8ft tall, 16ft feet, and extends out 9ft from the wall. The biggest challenge is the low roof. We do have the option of pulling out some of the ceiling tiles, however the support rig would still be in place so that would likely create shadows?

I’m open to any and all advice on this one.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	studio1.jpg
Views:	5024
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	33628  

Click image for larger version

Name:	studio2.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	33629  

Quote Quote  
  2. There are many youtube videos that describe this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Right off the bat, I'd say you ARE going to have difficulties with the evenness of the lighting due to the low ceiling height (along with a possible lack of full body coverage).

Also, even though the backdrop may be seamless, there will be lighting coverage issues at the corner where the wall meets the floor. Pro backgrounds have an "infinite horizon" curved cyc wall.

Scott

<edit>Plus, I am worried about the difficulty of matchinng light sources if you attempt to use commercial flourescent overheads.</edit>
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13th Sep 2015 at 00:37.
    Quote Quote