VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i recently burned a 1-16X DVD-R on old 8x DVD burner using imgburn and 4x fixed speed. the result was a coster.
    i repeated the burn at AWS (max) setting, the speed ended up 8x and the DVD is fine.
    i thought slower was better?

also what is the best option for archiving important home DVDs? would paper sleeves (stacked in a box) give enough protection? i'm weary of spindles and individual plastic boxes.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The maxim slower is better has been disproved a number of times. Sometimes it is, sometimes not, but it really depends on the support for any particular disc mid code in the firmware of the drive. Writing strategies differ, even with the same media, when burning at different speeds.

A general rule of thumb is to burn most media at 1/2 of its rated speed, in this case it works out at 8x for your 16x discs. If you are burning with a slim, laptop style drive, the rule of thumb is to burn at 1/2 the top speed of the drive, and not worry too much about the speed of the discs unless those blank DVD's are very slow ones which are no longer available on the market.

There are always exceptions. Very good media, like Taiyo Yuden 8x +R discs have been burned very well with certain drives at 16x and beyond. I burn 8x +R TY at its rated speed and have never had problems. But it is very high quality media, and only matched these days by Verbatim AZO discs and some FTI/Falcon discs.

As for storage, are you "weary" (tired of) spindles and individual cases, or "wary" (suspicious)? I wouldn't advise using paper sleeves. I use individual slim cases stored on edge, not flat.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am glad that you started a new topic about this rather than continue in the thread where you posted about this.

As I stated in my reply in that topic, your coaster could well be due to bad media or even, since this is an old drive it has issues at slower speeds. Never used the AWS setting. I Just burn 16x Verbatim AZO at 8x.

Would you care to share with us the brand of disk you actually used ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by friendly_jacek View Post
    also what is the best option for archiving important home DVDs? would paper sleeves (stacked in a box) give enough protection? i'm weary of spindles and individual plastic boxes.
    There doesn't seem to be a consensus on this site as to the best way to store disks.

I recently went through all my stored important disks and ended up throwing half of them away.
    Seems they really weren't all that important and nobody else cared about them. So why put up with the storage problems ?
    (I suppose sentiment does not equal importance.)
    Quote Quote