VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    What is the best software to copy-protect dvd video files?
    I have many video files that i want to play on my home dvd-video player.
    Also i want to protect them from copying...
    What is the best way for copy-protect?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tra_extra View Post
    Also i want to protect them from copying...
    That's not going to happen.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Add a HUGE annoying logo.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why there is no way?
    Quote Quote  
  5. there should be a way...
    I know people can image or crack protection ways, but i need a way to make harder copying of my videos.
    Also the important thing is after protection, videos should be playable on home dvd-video players.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Copy protection software is usually a commercial product. That means $$$ and some expertise in using the product. Be prepared to spend and learn.

Google is your friend, and also leads to reviews on most of those wares.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lock 'em up in a safe, , , ,

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The only "copy protection" that doesn't screw with settop players is the CP that players are built with. This means CSS. This means you have to Press/Replicate your discs at a factory instead of burning them yourself. This means you also have to license CSS from the factory. This means you also have to have a run of 300-500 discs minimum (unless things have changed recently). This means $$$, and you'll have to prove full copyright ownership of the material as well.

This also means that even after they are pressed, they will be (just like Hollywood movies) still able to have their copy protection defeated & bypassed.

Still want to do it?...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Computer Science theory states that any such solution can be undone. As you know, they have already broken such methods for DvD, and continue to for newer and better BD protection schemes.

However, most of the time, depending on how complicated such a reverse solution can be, only a small percentage are privy or seasoned with such methods.

Having said that, if you still want to implement such a solution, go ahead. You will indeed discourage maybe 90% of the audience and 5% more who may have the idea in mind.

As for the balance of the audience, the more "able" 5%, you have little choice other than playing the guilt game with them. A good watermark (as mentioned) identifying your property, and a good legal disclaimer would at least make it either illegal, or make them feel guilty as sin doing it, or make them look like complete fools distributing it as if it's their own, or even worse - trying to remove that logo since they won't have the original software/methods you used to implement it. The numbers are only hypothetical here, but you get the idea how you can reduce them drastically in your favor.

Then again, I have another theory: I don't mind people using my ideas or property, even for profit, as long as I'm given credit. It will be very hard for anyone to steal your property in this case without any credit to you in some way as the creator.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  10. But this is Ridiculous,
    I think this is hollywood policy to let people copy their movies.
    I am C# web developer and i think this is very simple question related to disk factories.
    One of my customers just want sell his classes movies and that 's all.
    There no access to those factories and ask them every time burn for us.
    We can pay for a software, but we can't attendant to disk factories.
    This is a pro forum and --there is no way-- or --you can't-- answers are not appropriate of this forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can jabber on all you want about how you think things ought to work, but it doesn't change the longstanding, verifiable facts: Hollywood & Computer/Electronics manufacturers created the DVD spec to their liking. Which includes CSS - done only at pressing factories.

Play their game their way, or make up your own game.

And, sometimes the proper and acceptable answer to foolish questions on this forum, is NO.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NO SUCH WAY....

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can come up with any such programming solution, even a very complicated one, and it can still be broken. Even without your source code, once someone grasps the concept of your algorithm's flow, he/she can still write another algorithm to reverse it.

You know you can undo an increment with its reverse (i-- for i++) or a true with a false at the simple level. This extends to more complicated procedures too.

So I say "YES" to the possibility of a technical solution, but "NO" to one that can't be broken, which means you can't have a copy protected solution that will thwart everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Sometimes i do reverse engineering for learning and crackers know ways better than us.
    So there is no p find a good crackable solution and use that and making crack's job harder.

"So I say "YES" to the possibility of a technical solution" -> What software can i use?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes i do reverse engineering for learning and crackers know ways better than us.
    So there is no p find a good crackable solution and use that and making crack's job harder.

"So I say "YES" to the possibility of a technical solution" -> What software can i use?
    As Scott told you, if you encrypt the content on the disc, the player has to be able to decrypt it to play the content. DVD and Blu-Ray players are only able to deal with ARCCOS and CSS, which typically have to be licensed and applied at a pressing plant. Supposedly one can't normally replicate these methods at home because some components of the technology reside in a physical location on the disc that cannot be burned on regular recordable media with regular burners. See http://forum.digital-digest.com/f105/burning-disc-css-rce-96555.html#post594028 I'll bet the license, etc., for burned media is expensive too.

You should think about a web-based solution for distributing the classes, with encryption on the streaming video. There are sites which host such videos.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Sep 2015 at 12:37.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... I am C# web developer ...
    Then you should be able to figure this out.

One of my customers just want sell his classes movies and that 's all.
    It's always someone with a product with ZERO commercial value that wants this. You can get free online degrees from REAL academic institutions. Who does he/she think they are?

This is a pro forum and --there is no way-- or --you can't-- answers are not appropriate of this forum.
    I don't see anyone saying it's an inappropriate question. It's a silly question asked here many times, with the same answer every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And if you want to search and read, there was a guy on here a few years ago who claimed to create a dvd which could not be copied. And without css etc.

He never came back when everyone who tested his creation copied it rather easily.

During my trading days, a 'genius' used a sharp blade to mark a small scratch on the surface of the burnt media. That is about as close as you will get.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by tra_extra View Post
    Sometimes i do reverse engineering for learning and crackers know ways better than us.

You should keep asking the same question until you get an "acceptable" reply.

Don't take NO for an answer.
    Quote Quote  
  19. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    And if you want to search and read, there was a guy on here a few years ago who claimed to create a dvd which could not be copied. And without css etc.

He never came back when everyone who tested his creation copied it rather easily.
    Yes......

(long) "intro": https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/280532-how-do-i-prevent-my-dvd-from-being-copied

"main": https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/282585-Prot-DVD-test-results
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OMG

Was it THAT long ago. I thought 2-3 years. But jeez.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The modern solution today, here on VideoHelp, from the last 2-3 years, would be to apply a good dose of fungus to the disc - nobody can copy that. A solution so good that you won't even read the disc to begin with!

But, unfortunately, it's not a technical solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Couldn't help it - the fungus concept here on VideoHelp the last few years has infected me.
    Quote Quote