VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for a little information and education here. I've come across this issue a few times now, and I've finally decided to try and figure out what is going on.

All playback is done using MPC-HC. I understand AR and why there can be black bars on the sides or top/bottom of the screen. Having said that, I have a video that displays with a border on all sides.

Typically, I would just open the file using VidCoder, enter the properties, and with cropping set to "auto" it will see the border and set it for removal while maintaining the AR. I then simply encode and output as mkv. Playback will then properly fill the screen.

Now, with the problem files, VidCoder see's nothing with the auto crop function and if you view the file in the preview window of VidCoder, you can see the border around the video. You can manually select an amount to crop and from the preview window the image will now fill the preview window and a test encode will playback properly on the screen. However, if a full encode of the file is performed, the resultant file will still have the same playback issue (ie: border on all 4 sides).

So my question, is this an issue which can be corrected by re-encoding the file or is this simply a playback issue (ie: some setting within MPC-HC that I have overlooked)?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can re-encode to remove the borders but in mpc-hc you can increase the borders so they are cropped out,in mpc-hc go to view/pan-scan and increase the size and width to get rid of the black bars.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I figured MPC-HC could control that, just hadn't messed with it. I was more curious about why it was happening. Especially since, for example, I remove 2 pixels top and bottom in VidCoder and reencode, the output file will still have the same playback issue. So while MPC-HC can overcome the issue, I'd like to find a solution where the file auto plays in MPC-HC properly. But if not, I can manually "zoom".
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. On occasion I've seen MeGUI show a 1080p video as being 1920x1088 rather than 1920x1080, although it's still been cropped correctly. I assumed for some reason the mod16 encoder padding was confusing the issue. I don't think that'd explain having a border all the way around though. I'm a bit intrigued..... can you upload a small sample?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, been out of town. Give me a few days and I will get some more information uploaded.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a few screen caps to show what I was trying to explain.

Here is a capture of my desktop. The left is the main monitor (22" 1680x1050) and the right is a TV (720P). It's hard to see specifics, but you can see the black border at the top of the image and there is a matching border on the bottom. The side borders don't show much in this image.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	screen capture.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	592.0 KB
ID:	34581

Here are the video specs as detected by VidCoder, and you can see that it doesn't show any borders to be removed. Typically, when a file isn't displaying properly, when opened in VidCoder, it will auto populate which side(s) of the image to be cropped.

Name:	vidcoder detection.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	34582

Here is the preview image supplied by VidCoder from the editing screen above. When no borders are present, the image will fill the preview panel. In this image, you can see that VidCoder is recognizing a border around the entire image. Which is exactly what I see when watching the file.

Name:	vidcoder borders.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	34583

The only thing that comes to mind, and I'm stretching here as I don't completely understand yet how all of this works, is that the border is simply a byproduct of the current resolution.

For a sample, I will need to find a tool to cut the file. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    the right is a TV (720P). It's hard to see specifics, but you can see the black border at the top of the image and there is a matching border on the bottom.
    The video is roughly 1.85:1 (a common movie aspect ratio) so it should not fill a 1.78:1 (16:9) screen. There should be small borders top and bottom. It looks to me like everything is working like it should.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Aside from the border on all four sides, yes, it is fine. I can see the border, which is what started this investigation. I don't have a problem with borders on the sides or top/bottom, that's normal to maintain AR. But this is different.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't see any borders on the left and right edges of your TV image. Keep in mind that some videos include ~8 pixel borders at the left and right edges because they were made analog tapes with standard rec.601 capture devices. You can crop those borders if you want. But a 1.85:1 video will not fill a 1.78:1 screen unless you distort the picture (stretch it vertically) or crop a bit of the picture off the left/right edges.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I found part of the problem. After a recent power outage, my display settings had changed somehow. So that accounted for most of the border I was seeing. Still not exactly right, but I can live with it as everything else I've tested is still normal.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote