VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I took some old VHS tapes and used a small device to put them on my computer. They were put on the computer as VOB files. Each Vob file is only about 15 minutes long but is 1 GB in size. I want to be able to burn these videos onto a DVD but if I keep as Vob then i will only be able to fit about 1 hour worth of video in a dvd which is very little, and i will have to use way to many discs if i do it like this. So what is the best video format to covert to that will decrease the size without losing quality. Also the format needs to be easily burnable to a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Whatever the "small device" gave you IS a DVD:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by venicemenice View Post
    Each Vob file is only about 15 minutes long but is 1 GB in size. I want to be able to burn these videos onto a DVD but if I keep as Vob then i will only be able to fit about 1 hour worth of video in a dvd which is very little, and i will have to use way to many discs if i do it like this. So what is the best video format to covert to that will decrease the size without losing quality. Also the format needs to be easily burnable to a DVD.
    If they're only 1GB in size, you fit 4 of them on a DVD. You can put about 7 or 8 on a double-layer DVD.

DVD is MPEG. DVD can't be anything else. If you re-encode to a lower bitrate to reduce size, you will lower quality. There is no such thing as re-encoding and smaller bitrates without quality loss.

If you take a look at a DVD structure on DVD disc, you'll see that VOB's are always 1GB or less in size.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 3rd Sep 2015 at 15:01.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote