VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    is there a software product (free or paid, new or old) that can use PAL footage captured from VHS (huffyuv compressed AVI files) to produce DVD playable on NTSC stand alone equipment and vice versa?

    ideally, such authoring software should not require a separate transcoding step by third party tools such as TMPGEnc (for simplification sake).

    thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try AVS2DVD. But, of course, it uses a number of third party applications in the process. Your request that the developer use all his own tools in the process of encoding, menu creation, authoring (and burning to disc, if you use it for that) is uninformed and unreasonable. For example, the MPEG-2 encoder you can use if you choose (and you should choose) is the excellent HCEnc. Its authoring program is the outstanding Muxman.

    My own opinion, having captured dozens of PAL tapes in the US for making NTSC DVDs, is that you should learn how to do everything yourself. The restoration steps (assuming you do some restoration) requires a lot of hands on work that can't be done by an all-in-one program. After you've mastered all that, making a DVD and using an authoring program for menu creation and authoring is simple in comparison.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Try AVS2DVD. But, of course, it uses a number of third party applications in the process. Your request that the developer use all his own tools in the process of encoding, menu creation, authoring (and burning to disc, if you use it for that) is uninformed and unreasonable. For example, the MPEG-2 encoder you can use if you choose (and you should choose) is the excellent HCEnc. Its authoring program is the outstanding Muxman.

    My own opinion, having captured dozens of PAL tapes in the US for making NTSC DVDs, is that you should learn how to do everything yourself. The restoration steps (assuming you do some restoration) requires a lot of hands on work that can't be done by an all-in-one program. After you've mastered all that, making a DVD and using an authoring program for menu creation and authoring is simple in comparison.
    Thanks!
    i think i figured out the capturing, editing, and filtering process with the use of virtual dub and especially the NeatVideo filter. I'm still fuzzy on the DVD authoring. I burned a total of 2 DVDs (PAL) so far and they work fine on my multisystem DVD player, but i would like to have a NTSC copies as well in case that player dies.
    BTW, i used the NeroVisionExpress software that i have already installed and it was super easy to use, but i was scolded on another forum how this is the wrong way to do it how it's doing the encoding "incorrectly."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by friendly_jacek View Post
    Thanks!
    i think i figured out the capturing, editing, and filtering process with the use of virtual dub and especially the NeatVideo filter. I'm still fuzzy on the DVD authoring. I burned a total of 2 DVDs (PAL) so far and they work fine on my multisystem DVD player, but i would like to have a NTSC copies as well in case that player dies.
    BTW, i used the NeroVisionExpress software that i have already installed and it was super easy to use, but i was scolded on another forum how this is the wrong way to do it how it's doing the encoding "incorrectly."
    It's perfectly acceptable to want both NTSC and PAL copies.....it's your decision and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.....I've done it myself on several occasions....but keep in mind that the "multisystem DVD player" that you speak of is only a small piece in the puzzle of the "watching a PAL DVD in and NTSC environment" scenario.
    But since you say you are starting with HuffyUV files, by all means create NTSC MPEG2 files and create a simple DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Well it seems to me that your dvd-player is not a true multisystem but one that internally converts the PAL content to NTSC. Unless, that is, you also have a multi-system tv. A true multi-system dvd-player plus a NTSC tv = blank screen.

    You should 'cut out the middle man'. Simply take you PAL content and author a NTSC dvd. As already stated, it can be done quickly, and efficiently, in avstodvd.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    But since you say you are starting with HuffyUV files, by all means create NTSC MPEG2 files and create a simple DVD.
    and that can be done with only avstodvd?
    i want to keep things simple.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Start avstodvd. Make sure output is set to NTSC. (preferences)
    Chose output format ISO or dvd-folders (output)
    Load PAL video (the program accepts almost any source).
    Press 'Start'
    Some minutes later you will have either an ISO or folders ready to burn. Use imgburn for that.

    If you also want to play around with avisynth (clean up etc.) you can edit the script file that avstodvd works with.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    thank you all for the advise. i'll experiment with avstodvd/imgburn for authoring in both PAL and NTSC and i'll report back.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Try AVS2DVD.
    when i clicked on the AVS2DVD it took me to the AVStoDVD page. i understand AVS2DVD/AVStoDVD are 2 different products. which one did you mean?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by friendly_jacek View Post

    when i clicked on the AVS2DVD it took me to the AVStoDVD page. i understand AVS2DVD/AVStoDVD are 2 different products. which one did you mean?
    They're the same -- both excellent! (AVStoDVD is the correct spelling.)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. Same product. Both links, as above, go to the same page on this site.

    There is another product called avitodvd. Maybe you confuse with that one. It is avstodvd (avs2dvd) that is suggested here and is fully supported by the author direct in these forums.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    They're the same -- both excellent! (AVStoDVD is the correct spelling.)
    Hehe, my fault for the confusion. Thanks to you and DB83 for setting him (and me) straight.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    There is another product called avitodvd. Maybe you confuse with that one.
    right. i was confused about that. i installed the AVStoDVD and i'm working on a first DVD.

    edit: this thing is buggy. it crashed 3 times already and i'm giving up. i installed the alpha version. it was probably a mistake.
    Last edited by friendly_jacek; 7th Sep 2015 at 17:44.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads