VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry all...

The search threads didn't give me the results i needed..
    Very simple request.

Is there a freeware program that will safely allow me to convert Youtube videos to .mp3s, without downloading trojans or viruses?
    Even the tools section realizes the potential threat.
    I'm running firefox on a Win 7 pro station.

Any recommendations?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    .mp3 is normally an audio format. Most YT videos I've DL'd are in .flv format. And MediaInfo reports mine are already .mp3 audio.
    You can convert .flvs and other formats with VidCoder to several other video formats. It's safe, but with any DL, you should use a 'custom' install and watch for traps.

I use Firefox with a plugin for YT downloads.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Converting videos you've already downloaded? If so, quite a few programs will convert just the audio. Maybe try Video To Video Converter (download the portable version as it doesn't try to install crapware). Open a downloaded video (or a bunch of them), and select the appropriate audio conversion preset from the popup list of conversion presets.

For converting to MP3 while downloading, I use this site a bit. http://www.clipconverter.cc/
    There's an add-on for Firefox on their site. I've not installed it myself. It's not listed on the Mozilla add-ons site, which makes me wonder.

This add-on is though. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/convert-youtube-to-mp3/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great addon redwudz..
    I've tried VidCoder, but can't seem to disable the video tab..I'm looking for an audio only conversion..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just download the video
    then use avidemux (or similar tool) , and extract/copy the audio track
    Quote Quote  
  6. YT videos are mostly mp4 or webm. I use foobar2000 to convet already downloaded videos or Firefox addon Youtube video and audio downloader for videos on YT.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The freeware AoA Audio Extractor Basic can do what you're asking. The picture in the link shows it doing just that. Just be careful when installing it not to install the garbage it wants to include.
    Quote Quote