VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a large collection of files from a surveillance system that contain a metadata overlay typical of surveillance systems, i.e. time, date, camera name, etc. The subtitles will display in VLC by simply turning on 'Track 1 (English)' in VLC's 'Subtitles' menu. According to VLC, the subtitles use the tx3g codec.

The subtitles will also display in Quicktime, although they're tiny and I haven't been able to enlarge them to a useful size.

My ultimate wish is to be able to have the subtitles show up in Premiere Pro, since that's where I'd like to do any cutting, clarification, etc. of the videos. But I've tried everything I can possibly see to get the subtitles to show up and they still don't.

I've also tried tools I found discussed here on VH, including gMKVextract, MKVCleaver, MP4box, MKVToolnix, etc. All with no success.

Given that these titles display without a hitch in VLC and at least display (even if tiny) in Quicktime, surely there's a way to get this info extracted/converted/whatever into something I can use in Premiere Pro. Anyone have ANY ideas to share?

Huge TIA!

Chop
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you can toggle them on/off, then they are essentially text subs (quicktime timed text). You should be able to extract them with quicktime pro, or ffmpeg, possibly CCExtractor

Text subs don't really have a "size" - it ultimately depends on the renderer settings and method of displaying them.

They won't display in PP, but there are ways to render them in the fashion/font/size that you want and hardcode them onto a transparent overlay for import into PP

If you still can't extract them, then post a small sample video
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 1st Sep 2015 at 13:07.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You should be able to extract them with quicktime pro, or ffmpeg, possibly CCExtractor
    Big thanks, PDR!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @poisondeathray : Got them extracted via Quicktime Pro. Plain text format. What do you suggest as a workflow for rendering them as a transparent overlay?
    Quote Quote  
  5. There are slightly different tx3g/ ttxt formats . You might have to make some minor adjustments to get it working

I've posted step by step instructions before on the basic workflow . It's not specific to PP, you can use it to import into any editor. It uses avisynth with masksub() and a RGBA codec like lagarith, or ut video (ie. one that supports alpha channel)

Here are a few of the posts:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364265-Importing-SRT-subtitles-into-Premiere-Pro-CC...00#post2319000
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356192-How-to-add-in-Sony-Vegas-Pro-11-ass-srt-subs

You can convert the subs to ASS subs in aegisub to get almost ANY formatting. ASS subs support basically everything, even fancy effects.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Someone mentioned 3rd party plugins for PP - EZtitles and SugarFX - I haven't tried those, but if you're going to be doing lots of these it might be worth checking it out instead of having to render out a hardcoded/tranparent video for each one
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364265-Importing-SRT-subtitles-into-Premiere-Pro-CC
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Big thanks again, PDR. Off to read your suggestions now...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ChopOMatic View Post
    I have a large collection of files from a surveillance system that contain a metadata overlay typical of surveillance systems, i.e. time, date, camera name, etc. The subtitles will display in VLC by simply turning on 'Track 1 (English)' in VLC's 'Subtitles' menu. According to VLC, the subtitles use the tx3g codec.

The subtitles will also display in Quicktime, although they're tiny and I haven't been able to enlarge them to a useful size.

My ultimate wish is to be able to have the subtitles show up in Premiere Pro, since that's where I'd like to do any cutting, clarification, etc. of the videos. But I've tried everything I can possibly see to get the subtitles to show up and they still don't.

I've also tried tools I found discussed here on VH, including gMKVextract, MKVCleaver, MP4box, MKVToolnix, etc. All with no success.

Given that these titles display without a hitch in VLC and at least display (even if tiny) in Quicktime, surely there's a way to get this info extracted/converted/whatever into something I can use in Premiere Pro. Anyone have ANY ideas to share?

Huge TIA!

Chop
    I used MP4Box, and My MP4GUI to use it in windows environment. You just look for the mp4 file and it will show you what the container includes, there will be a pop up window which tells you there is a txt stream, dont know why it appears, but is the first thing that shows up after selecting the file. Then all you have to do is go to the Demux tab and check the box in the "Text - Timed text" named option and click the Demux button. It will appear in the same folder where the mp4 file is located, and it will be extracted in .srt format. Hope this helps even when its a 5 year old question.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using MP4Box on the command line on a Mac:
    - Get the info about the mp4:
    % mp4box -info mymovie.mp4
    Look for the TrackID of the sbtl:tx3g subtitle. Once you have that number, e.g. 3:
    % mp4box -srt 3 mymovie.mp4

This will create a file mymovie_3_text.srt

Bingo!
    Quote Quote