VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been sent a VIDEO_TS folder and I'd like to burn it to DVD without converting / re-encoding. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only program I know of specifically for a Mac is Toast.

Most Mac users would add a Windows partition and dual-boot. Then possible to use free tools such as imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moved the thread to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try this app called Burn.
    Basic, but does just what you needs now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Does BURN burn the TS-folders AND create the menues or will it re-encode again?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It just burns the folders,similar to imgburn.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So, he will have a data disc with TS-folders, but no DVD that is playable in a standalone DVD player (like with a menu etc.), right?

I am unsure, if he wanted to know how to make a data disc or a playable DVD.

For example, if BURN gets DVD conform mpeg2 that has been created by Avidemux, it doesn't just add the tables, menues and folder structure, but it re-encodes it to mpeg2 a second time (this time in a TS_folder). As far as I know.

Toast makes playable DVDs out of TS_folders. Old versions are found cheap on Ebay. (In fact in Toast, you can select "video DVD" and then decide between "DVD (for standalone players), VCD, SVCD, DVD from TS_folders (for standalone players)". Toast has the better picture quality than Burn I was told in the applediscussions forum.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MovingParts View Post
    So, he will have a data disc with TS-folders, but no DVD that is playable in a standalone DVD player (like with a menu etc.), right?

For example, if BURN gets DVD conform mpeg2 that has been created by Avidemux, it doesn't just add the tables, menues and folder structure, but it re-encodes it to mpeg2 a second time (this time in a TS_folder). As far as I know.

Toast makes playable DVDs out of TS_folders. Old versions are found cheap on Ebay. (In fact in Toast, you can select "video DVD" and then decide between "DVD (for standalone players), VCD, SVCD, DVD from TS_folders (for standalone players)". Toast has the better picture quality than Burn I was told in the applediscussions forum.
    Authoring (creating files and folders for a playable DVD, including menus) and burning (putting the files and folders on a DVD using the correct file systems and locations) are often done as separate steps performed by different programs.

If given the required DVD files in a VIDEO_TS folder, surely Burn knows how to put them on a DVD to create a DVD video disc, although it apparently can author DVDs as well.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Sep 2015 at 22:58.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    So, he will have a data disc with TS-folders, but no DVD that is playable in a standalone DVD player (like with a menu etc.), right?

Authoring (creating files and folders for a playable DVD, including menus) and burning (putting the files and folders on a DVD using the correct file systems and locations) are often done as separate steps performed by different programs.

If given the required DVD files in a VIDEO_TS folder, surely Burn knows how to put them on a DVD to create a DVD video disc, although it apparently can author DVDs as well.
    I tried Burn and it doesn't take the DVD conform Mpeg2-PS that Avidemux had created and I was told that naming a folder TS_video would change nothing.
    So, you actually have to have TS_folders. I wonder if they are "ripped" from another DVD, then he could have just made an image/copy (either with disk utility or the incremented "burn" function of OS X, if you don't want to pay for Toast). I would really like to know, myself, what Mac App can create TS_folders out of a given non conform source material.

@OP
    what App did you use for that?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried Burn and it doesn't take the DVD conform Mpeg2-PS that Avidemux had created and I was told that naming a folder TS_video would change nothing.
    Of course it won't change anything. Burn would need to author that Mpeg2-PS from Avidemux, which would create DVD files (VOBs, IFOs, and BUPs) containing the menus, video stream, audio streams, subtitle streams, and playback instructions inside a VIDEO_TS folder.

Burn can apparently author a basic DVD from at least some non-complaint sources. http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/easily_burn_movies_to_a_dvd_without_apples_idvd.html
    Burn may work with compliant sources too, but it could re-encode again

However, someone gave the OP for this thread a VIDEO_TS folder containing VOB, IFO, and BUP files. The folder could be from a DVD rip or it could be something the giver authored himself/herself. According to Case, who does know something about working with video on a Mac, Burn can create a DVD video disc from an a VIDEO_TS folder. Burn probably creates a DVD ISO from the VIDEO_TS and burns the ISO to create a DVD video disc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Of course it won't change anything. Burn would need to author that Mpeg2-PS from Avidemux, which would create DVD files (VOBs, IFOs, and BUPs) containing the menus, video stream, audio streams, subtitle streams, and playback instructions inside a VIDEO_TS folder.

Burn can apparently author a basic DVD from at least some non-complaint sources. http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/easily_burn_movies_to_a_dvd_without_apples_idvd.html
    Burn may work with compliant sources too, but it could re-encode again.
    I had found the creativecow article, too. It does convert AVC for example (if I remember correctly from my Tests), but it doesn't like the Mpeg2-PS file of Avidemux, it would even show it greyed out, when you to select it from the finder from the burn menue.
    Quote Quote