VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently converted my first .wmv video file to .mp4 using Handbrake. I was successful in the video conversion but the original .wmv file also contained audio that did not get converted. What did I forget to do in the conversion. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I will reply to my own thread.

The Handbrake conversion (.wmv to .mp4) that I successfully completed was processed on a Laptop with Windows 7 and placed in a Google Drive folder. The audio on the converted .mp4 video file is definitely not available on the Laptop.

Using the Google Drive App on and an iPad and on an Android Samsung smart phone, the converted .mp4 video is viewable, to include the audio, on both device. The .mp4 video with audio also works when Chrome casting to a TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post a mediainfo (text mode) report of the converted mp4.

Also. What are you playing this mp4 on the laptop ? Try another player such as vlc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You probably need an aac audio decoder on your laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am not converting videos with audio to use on a Laptop. They were originally created using Windows 7 Microsoft Movie Maker producing a .wmv format. I subsequently played them on an ipad, or iphone, or even an android, and also chromecast them to a TV. The Chromecast no longer supports .wmv and that is why I am converting them to mp4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To get to the bottom of this...MediaInfo the WMV and the MP4. Device & location variables shouldn't enter into it.

Likely, Handbrake (and its underlying architecture) can only handle/decode certain flavors of WMA (there are at least 6 flavors/versions: v1, v2, v7, v8, v9, lossless, & voice) and not others - maybe not the one in the source file.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the OP can not respond to simple requests, how does he expect to receive help.

We are not mind-readers. We can all make guesses but basic info saves time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for all responses. I did resolve my problem/question. When identifying the Handbrake presets for the output the results depend on selecting "Normal", "High Profile" or "Universal".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it seems to me that you got lucky.

You appear to be using software without any understanding of how it works. Handbrake is not a 'one-click' program but you seem to be treating it like that - a 'one-click' program is just what it says when you make one mouse-click and the program does the rest.

No one here helped you because you simply failed to answer any relevant questions. You might not have understood the questions but you could still ask for clarity and not just ignore the help on offer.
    Quote Quote