VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    The record button of VLC does not work at all. When clicking on it there is no effect whatsoever. They say the button is supposed to turn bluish, but is doesn't. I tried it with mp4, avi, mpg. I set a folder for the recorded videos.
    [Windows 10 (64b)
    VLC 3.0.0]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    May I recommend an alternative.

Try PotPlayer, It's much more responsive in terms of the app itself and development is constantly active.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    @Baldrick
    That was actually a good suggestion. My version of VLC was probably an experimental one - 3.0.0-git-20150127-0528 Vetinari. Going back to a stable version solved it.
    However it doesn't work the way I expected. I wanted to "record" a video to which I applied some corrections/effects (brightness, contrast). The resulted video didn't keep the effects.

@Shaylen
    I found that PotPlayer useless. I checked "Auto Level Control" and nothing happened. I checked "Level Control", but no level adjustment window opened. It is doubtfully overrated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sorin86 View Post
    @Baldrick
    That was actually a good suggestion. My version of VLC was probably an experimental one - 3.0.0-git-20150127-0528 Vetinari. Going back to a stable version solved it.
    However it doesn't work the way I expected. I wanted to "record" a video to which I applied some corrections/effects (brightness, contrast). The resulted video didn't keep the effects.

@Shaylen
    I found that PotPlayer useless. I checked "Auto Level Control" and nothing happened. I checked "Level Control", but no level adjustment window opened. It is doubtfully overrated.
    Thanks for the attempt on my alternative, it's much appreciated, maybe later versions may fix it but just keep your eye on the changelogs of PotPlayer, things may or may not change for the better in future.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Shaylen View Post
    Thanks for the attempt on my alternative, it's much appreciated, maybe later versions may fix it but just keep your eye on the changelogs of PotPlayer, things may or may not change for the better in future.
    I don't know what you mean "your" alternative. Because, if you are one of the developers, there is a lot to work to make it look like a reasonable product. Everything looks chaotic and in most cases one needs minimum 3 clicks to perform an action. I didn't waste time for examining the quality of the technical results, but the ergonomics of the app is a disaster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Oh sorry, I meant, my suggestion and I'm not part of the dev team. I know it needs touch ups here and there but I'm pleased with it to extent that I use it. It's response times are fast, that's what caught my attention.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sorin86 View Post
    Yes, VLC's record button copies the video stream and audio stream to an appropriate container file as it plays. For example, if I press the record button while playing a DVD, VLC copies exactly the same MPEG-2 video and AC3 audio that is stored on the disc to an mpg file, starting from the point where I clicked record.

You would need to record the playback window with screen capture software to retain your corrections. When used as a screen recorder (Media->Open Capture Device->Capture Mode = Desktop), it looks like VLC only allows recording the entire desktop, but I never tried it. I don't use any screen capture software, so I can't give a personal recommendation, but VideoHelp maintains a list of screen capture software.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Sep 2015 at 15:08. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote