VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firstly,

Hello to all. I was a member here some time back but had lost access to that email so just re-registered!

Anyhow- here's my issue. I'm trying to rip some DVD's for a guy so he can put them online. I started with Handbrake, MP4, & the files wouldn't play in WMP. So, I tried them on a USB on my 4 yr. old TV-- "unsupported file type". Next, I try MPEG-2. These play fine in WMP, but the audio is out of sync when I play them on the TV!

What can I do to fix this? I also tried a few conversion programs I'd downloaded during their "give-away" period & the same thing happens. I tried designating H.264/AAC & also MP4/AAC (suggestions from the makers) --- same thing.

Help? All ideas gratefully welcomed.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most mp4s should work in WMP 12+. But a 4 year old TV might not support mp4 with h264 video.

I would first try remux(no reconversion) your dvds to mpg with vob2mpg. Rip(remove dvd encryption) with dvdfab decrypter or install a background ripper like dvdfab passkey or anydvd.

If that fails could you try make an avi xvid/divx with xmedia recode. Choose profile DVD Player(standalone). You must rip the dvd first or use a background dvd ripper.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 28th Aug 2015 at 05:50.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick, thanks for the reply.

One question I have (forgot to ask) is: if the resulting file plays properly on a computer but not a TV, could it be something "odd" with the DVD's themselves? As in, could they have been created in a way which could cause the sync issues on my TV?

Or, is it possible they might play just fine on a newer TV? I know- you're not psychic- lol...it's just that I'm not full-bottle on video converting & I want to know why this could happen (other than my old TV is sh*t- lol). I know the adage, "GIGO" (garbage in, garbage out).

If you're familiar with Handbrake, is there a particular setting you'd recommend to make the conversion from VOB to a universally-playable format?

Cheers. Oh, & have a great weekend!
    Quote Quote  
  4. How did you create the "mpeg2" version that's out of sync when using the TV? What sort of file format is it?

What's the make and model of your TV? Does the manual give you a list of supported file types and video/audio codecs?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The TV is a Hisense 40" LCD, about five years old. I don't have the manual any longer- but it's not a drama. I just thought that being fairly newish, it would handle what is now an older format (MPEG2).

I guess I need to put one of the converted files onto a thumb drive & see if I can play it in a newer TV.

Thanks everyone.
    Quote Quote