VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone?

Capturing 1080i 50Hz is all fine when playing the file on PC and deinterlacing, but watching the file directly from the Avermedia box gives me very ugly horizontal lines on certain colors, especially red, when the image moves. It's not a tiny detail, it's VERY noticeable.

Of course when it's set as pass-through, or when you enable the immediate mode, the image is fine. But when you play back the files they always show these problems.

Is this a known problem? I guess there's no solution beside using an external player, and I'm worried that my WD Live TV player won't deal properly with 1080i at 50fps since it only goes up to 30. So I have no way to actually watch these files without that interlacing problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Fadedown View Post
    Anyone?

Capturing 1080i 50Hz is all fine when playing the file on PC and deinterlacing, but watching the file directly from the Avermedia box gives me very ugly horizontal lines on certain colors, especially red, when the image moves. It's not a tiny detail, it's VERY noticeable.

Of course when it's set as pass-through, or when you enable the immediate mode, the image is fine. But when you play back the files they always show these problems.

Is this a known problem? I guess there's no solution beside using an external player, and I'm worried that my WD Live TV player won't deal properly with 1080i at 50fps since it only goes up to 30. So I have no way to actually watch these files without that interlacing problem.
    How do you have the Avermedia Game Capture HD II connected when you are using it to play its recordings?

You can try to play your recordings with the WD Live. 1080i50 and 1080i25 are two different ways of describing the same thing. 1080i25 is 1020x1080 at 25 frames per second. 1080i50 is 1020x1080 at 50 fields per second. Since there are two fields per interlaced frame, 1080i50 supplies 25 frames per second.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    How do you have the Avermedia Game Capture HD II connected when you are using it to play its recordings?
    Same as always, just an HDMI cable. The Avermedia makes the screen go black between transitions, but it's always 1080i 50Hz.

It just doesn't handle playback well. I don't have any options to play with. I tried connecting it on a different TV (and different cable too), but same problem.

It's also not the connection, because when set in pass-through the video is fine. Only when the image is processed by the Avermedia I have the problem. And consider I see this even when NOT recording. It always shows when the Avermedia is on and processing the image, that gives it the slight input lag.

There's only one option:
    Real-time mode / Standard mode

Real-time mode I guess it's used when you play games and need to be free of lag, so the Avermedia passes the image without processing it, and it says in this mode you cannot see the OSD. In THIS mode I don't have the problem. But of course when you playback a file it IS processed, and so I have the problem too.

You can try to play your recordings with the WD Live. 1080i50 and 1080i25 are two different ways of describing the same thing. 1080i25 is 1020x1080 at 25 frames per second. 1080i50 is 1020x1080 at 50 fields per second. Since there are two fields per interlaced frame, 1080i50 supplies 25 frames per second.
    Well, I'll have to try. It's not certain that it won't give some problems...
    Last edited by Fadedown; 22nd Aug 2015 at 13:20.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A TV should be able to display 1080i video correctly. It sounds like the Avermedia Game Capture HD II is a poor video playback device for interlaced video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    It sounds like the Avermedia Game Capture HD II is a poor video playback device for interlaced video.
    Yeah, that's my guess too.

But, again, it does it even when NOT in playback. When you see the processed image and it is not recording you still see the problem. Only when "Real-time mode" is active you don't see the problem.

So it's not the cable nor the TV, because they can display the thing normally.

But it must be something in the processed image of the Avermedia that creates the problem, somehow.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Fadedown View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    It sounds like the Avermedia Game Capture HD II is a poor video playback device for interlaced video.
    Yeah, that's my guess too.

But, again, it does it even when NOT in playback. When you see the processed image and it is not recording you still see the problem. Only when "Real-time mode" is active you don't see the problem.

So it's not the cable nor the TV, because they can display the thing normally.

But it must be something in the processed image of the Avermedia that creates the problem, somehow.
    A pass-through is one of the outputs from a capture device's internal spitter, which provides the identical signal received from the source. Interlaced video in gives interlaced video out, which a TV will deinterlace correctly.

Maybe the Avermedia Game Capture HD II doesn't produce interlaced video output when playing interlaced video. It may just output the complete interlaced frame as one progressive frames instead of deinterlacing correctly to two progressive frames.

Some TVs can report information on the video received via HDMI via the Info button on the remote. If there is such a feature availble, it would allow you to see what kind of video the TV is receiving when the Avermedia Game Capture HD II plays back a file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Some TVs can report information on the video received via HDMI via the Info button on the remote. If there is such a feature availble, it would allow you to see what kind of video the TV is receiving when the Avermedia Game Capture HD II plays back a file.
    It always say 1080i 50Hz on the TV, so it should still be the interlaced format. No idea why this is happening.
    Quote Quote