VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Big Mac, Quarter Pounder (double or single), Whopper, or Jumbo Jack?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I bought a ROKU 2 on CL thinking I could used it not only for online streaming services, which it's great for, but also to watch my own media either from a USB flash drive and/or streaming from my computer via DNLA. I was discouraged to discover that it not only does not have a USB drive, it cannot stream DNLA effectively, even though there's an app for it.

It doesn't appear that ROKU 3 is any better, am I correct? It does have the USB drive, but apparently it's no good - and I'm also reading that it is no good for DNLA either. I might be wrong about the ROKU 3, so correct me if I'm wrong!

I sold my XB1 months back because I'm opposed to MS's new privacy policy that went into effect as of Aug 1. I miss the XB1. It did all these things I need it to do perfectly! Maybe I will cave and get another. But first I wanted to consult with you guys.

Is there a good DNLA stream box and/or USB playback box out there? I suppose it would be best if it did Netflix and the other services too, but I suppose I could have two separate devices.

Help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by 1976pianoman View Post
    It does have the USB drive, but apparently it's no good...
    It's kind of particular about the MP4 and MKV files it plays, but it's easy enough to encode to its specs. I don't use it though, but stream everything through the Plex program on the computer through the Plex channel on the Roku 3 to the television. About everything can be streamed using Plex. If that solution is okay with you, you can keep the Roku 2 you already have.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Really!? This sounds too good to be true. I thought the way to stream on the ROKU 2 was via the ROKU Media Player app which doesn't work well. The playback staggers and stalls. When I first discovered this and looked online, I learned that ROKU is not DNLA compliant so I just assumed that nothing would work. So I can use PLEX on the ROKU and stream without any trouble?

I'm streaming from a Mac running the latest OS X using Serviio DNLA server, which worked fine to stream with when I had my XB1.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There's a Mac version of Plex. You'll need the Plex app installed on your computer and the Plex channel installed into your Roku box:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/13535/plex

There's no Servioo channel. They do have peculiar file naming conventions for Plex. And it will transcode on the fly, which I don't mind. Other than those minor gripes I love it. There are plenty here that use it for their Rokus, and Plex has a healthy forum so you can learn more or ask questions.

Yes, there are other Roku streaming channels, such as their own, but I've never bothered.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OMG! I'm so happy! Thank you! Plex is working like a champ right now! I don't get then why there is all this talk online about ROKU 2 and even 3 not being DNLA compliant and therefore not working for local streaming. There's no stuttering or freezing - it works fine! It seems to be "compliant" to me, unless PLEX is some kind of magical butt rabbit performing some form of miracle programing in order to work as well as it does. Because ROKU media player via Serviio DNLA sure does not work.

I wish PLEX was free, but paying $40 a year is not going to kill me. I wonder if a competing channel might not appear offering a similar local streaming solution, but offer it for free.

Thank you so much. I'm so glad I don't have to buy more hardware! yay!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RARflix is free and fine for streaming from your Plex server.

AFAIK, the difference is that it doesn't have all the additional channels and features available from the pay Plex app.

I switched to Rarflix when Plex began requiring a subscription to continue, then stopped using my Roku 1 because I found better streaming alternatives (PlayOn and Mezzmo) on my WDTV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can always try ums,does a good job through my ps3 and also plays flac files with no issues.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by 1976pianoman View Post
    I wish PLEX was free, but paying $40 a year is not going to kill me.
    I had never quite believed that because I don't pay and had I known I would have mentioned it. After a bit of searching I discovered anyone using Plex on Roku before Dec 2013 doesn't have to pay. I apologize.

Yes, if I were you I'd follow lingyi's recommendation and install Rarflix. Or maybe Emby:

http://emby.media/

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/44191/emby
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a Playon user and thrilled with it, no it's not free but I love it, I purchased a lifetime license, I also went for the Playon Media casting option, I can cast from my laptop right to my Roku's, I also love Playlater which is basically a DVR for streaming videos. The MyMedia channel let's me stream anything in my computers to the Roku. I believe they have free trials too.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool. I should have just came here when I first ran into trouble. I ended on some other site where everybody is talking about the ROKU 2 not being DNLA compliant. Maybe it was old stuff I was reading. Clearly it works fine and there are many DNLA options. I now officially love my ROKU. Thanks team.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a difference between DLNA and streaming.

All of the options noted above use a computer to read/encode/stream content to the Roku (or any other device). DLNA would allow the Roku (or any other device) to read the storage media and play the files. This is more important if you want to use a NAS (for example) to store and share your files as opposed to a computer or server.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    There is a difference between DLNA and streaming.

All of the options noted above use a computer to read/encode/stream content to the Roku (or any other device). DLNA would allow the Roku (or any other device) to read the storage media and play the files. This is more important if you want to use a NAS (for example) to store and share your files as opposed to a computer or server.
    Interesting! Thank you. I totally get it. Now it all makes sense. I kept reading about the Roku not having the hardware/processing capabilities for DNLA and didn't quite connect the dots yet as to how these other options were working so well. They are using my computer to do all the work! Cool beans.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just received an email from Plex stating that Plex is now free for Roku users. It seems that this is the streaming app as Plex Pass (for all the additional features) still requires a subscription.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Just received an email from Plex stating that Plex is now free for Roku users. It seems that this is the streaming app as Plex Pass (for all the additional features) still requires a subscription.
    This is fantastic news!! PLEX is clearly the most pretty and best coded option, so this is very cool to hear. Thanks for sharing this!

https://blog.plex.tv/2015/08/25/graduation-day-the-roku-and-xbox-360-apps-are-now-free-for-everyone/
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why is there no Roku app that will send your live computer screen to your Roku/TV? I would love to be able to browse the internet and use Facebook on the big screen - and use a wireless keyboard and mouse on the coffee table.
    Quote Quote