VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Lately I've been back to making AVCHD discs because it makes life so much easier in that I know they will "just work" on my Sony PS4 but now I'm about to do my first one with subtitles and I want to use the PGS subtitles from the Blu-Ray so ... do I use them "as is" or do I need to resize them to 720p since I'm resizing the video to 720p?

For instance I know the program BDSup2Sub will resize 1080p PGS SUP files to 720p but I don't know if I need to do that or not.

I remember a long time ago I made a 720p MKV with PGS Subtitles from a 1080p Blu-Ray and VLC didn't resize the subs correctly since the video was 720p but the subs were 1080p so I had to use BDSup2Sub to resize the subtitles to 720p so the resizing (in VLC) would work correctly.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You will need to resize the subs only if you are going to watch them on your ps4 as avchd cause if you don't they will be way oversized,i learned that long time ago making avchd discs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case but it's nice to get confirmation without testing and wasting discs.

I wonder though if that is typical of BD players that support AVCHD or can some properly display the subs if they haven't been resized? As I mentioned earlier I found there was a time (maybe this is different now) where 720p MKV's with 1080p PGS subs were not correctly formatted in VLC although MPC-HD had no problem resizing them correctly. This told me that it was a "hit or miss" thing and that you are probably better resizing the subs just to-be-safe.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The players have no idea if the subs are meant to be of any certain size so they display exactly what they are set at.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote