VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an old Dell E6400 plugged to my TV via DisplayPort to HDMI Cable.
    Worked perfectly for a few months, but lately I've been having an Audio issue. The sound mutes in the TV speakers every ten seconds or so.
    When I disable the HDMI sound and play it throw the Laptop speakers everything works fine.
    I've tried it on two TV's, several DisplayPort2HDMI cables and even formatted the laptop and reinstalled the OS twice, with Win 8.1 and Win 7!
    It's driving me crazy...

Please Help.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try replacing the hdmi cable.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I replaced it, no change
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like an issue with your LT hdmi audio out hardware problem since it does this on other tvs,not much you can do.Maybe someone else here can help more.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If its not connected to mains power and running on batteries then its a default behavior to save battery power.

Also note the graphics driver is the controller for displayport audio ... not the sound device drivers.

You also need to tell us what gpu the unit uses ... intel, amd or nvidia

The intel fix is to reload the drivers for the gpu.

the nvidia fix

Do not instal the dell audio driver because it will not give you the option in the sound menu to select digital audio. Just select digital audio as the default device to output audio and connect to your HDMI tv via a DP -> HDMI adaptor. Also check the sound settings inside Digital Audio such as Dolby Digital because if you checked something that your TV does not support you won't get audio

Check hdmi tv settings are set to receive digital audio on the connected hdmi port.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the reply. I have an Nvidia NVS160.
    All setting are set as you said.
    Works perfectly for about 1 min then mutes for about 20 seconds then the sound comes back on for another minute or so and so on and so forth...

Very frustrating.

Any other ideas?
    Quote Quote