VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys having some problems with TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5. Whenever I go to burn something above a certain size it just won't work. Trying to burn a Blu Ray made in TMPGenc and everything is fine with the output folder but when I go to burn it it doesn't work, it only seems not to burn properly when I go above a certain size. Was able to burn 17.9gb to disc earlier and worked fine no problems. Have then tried numerous times to burn things above that size (19gb-22gb) and nothing works, but everything below the size works fine?

This is what happens in Imgburn, it takes forever as you can see, and starts doing this at the exact same part every time. http://youtu.be/zg1wjL8aySc

It will eventually complete but then will get an error when verifying and won't play in Blu Ray player. Anyone knows what's wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You're using Ritek discs.

Try again with Verbatim (HTL) or Panasonic Blu-ray media, or FTI/Falcon discs under the SmartBlu brand.

Don't burn at full speed. If your discs are rated at 6x, burn at 4x.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks will try those discs, currently using TDK.

This is the message during verifying.
    http://i.imgbox.com/nePQNJRH.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    TDK is the brand you're using. Ritek is the manufacturer going by the mid code. My advice is to stay far, far away from Ritek Blu-ray media. Even if you get a successful burn, they may not last very long.

The error code just reinforces the fact that the media is a problem.

Your Samsung burner is also a marginal product, and had a firmware bug that caused many problems burning at 2x. I don't think it was ever fixed. I'd stick to 4x speed with this burner. It is one of the few drives still available that can do scans, but that probably isn't important to most.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the advice mate, only bought the Samsung burner recently and thought that may have been the problem. Will buy some Verbatim discs tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yep discs were the problem! Works absolutely fine on Verbatim discs. Thanks alot man.

Also just wondering if you could help with this, going to sound incredibly dumb here. I'm wanting to put all my old DVD's onto Blu Ray discs, and most of them are 704, is there a way to get them to 720 so TMPGenc Authoring Works doesn't have to reencode them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. TMPGenc Authoring works supports 704x480. No re-encoding should be necessary unless something else is out of spec.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    TMPGenc Authoring works supports 704x480. No re-encoding should be necessary unless something else is out of spec.
    This is what it says http://i.imgbox.com/K8c3tKxO.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yeah, but you didn't say you were converting them to Blu-Ray format in the process. Yes, if they're to be burned as Blu-Rays they'll have to be reencoded.

I know nothing about using Blu-Ray discs to burn DVDs, but maybe someone else (smrpix?) can tell you whether or not it's possible to put several DVDs onto a Blu-Ray disc as DVDs, with a simple menu to play the one you want.
    Quote Quote  
  10. 704 is DVD compatible, but outside of the Blu-Ray spec. So yes, a re-encode is required. You should be able to import multiple DVDs as sources -- obviously you will have to copy them to the hard drive. You can trust TMPGenc's source wizard tool to do it correctly. May as well uprez to 1280x720 @ 59.94 to minimize loss. TMPGenc uses yadif to deinterlace IIRC.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just been searching around and found this https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/309419-How-to-convert-704x480-to-720x480-without-re-ecnode, Seemed to have the exact same problem and managed to solve it. How did he do it? Don't understand it. Would ask him but hasn't logged in since.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Looks like he patched the header and/or added padding with Avisynth and reencoded with HCEnc before bringing it into TMPGenc. Not really any gain there in your situation.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    ^^He re-encoded with HCenc, then demuxed the audio with a different program.

There are several ways to take DVD's and put them into Blu-ray format, but since they can only be one of two different resolutions, and yours are not one of those, you might as well just let TMPGenc Authoring works do its thing to make them compliant.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ok thanks guys, will have to just let TMPGenc reencode them. Do you know much quality will be lost?
    Quote Quote