VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Norton internet security. Since yesterday I have been getting security alert message very frequently. Despite having ticked "Don't show this message again" box, I keep getting. I installed 'chrome browser' which I have uninstalled after getting the alert. I have removed it in firewall notification too. Does any one get this type of security alert. What should I do further? I seek advice from members.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	NORTON MESSAGE.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	33096  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Norton is considered a virus by many people.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could try to scan your PC with Malwarebytes Antimalware Free and Hitman Pro. Did you scan with Norton Power Eraser?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    You could try to scan your PC with Malwarebytes Antimalware Free and Hitman Pro. Did you scan with Norton Power Eraser?
    I didn't attempt to scan with Norton Power Eraser fearing that it may damage / remove my programs as someone in this forum pointed out earlier that Norton had removed some programs without his knowledge. I have not installed Malwarbytes Antimalware in my machine so far and I do not have working knowledge about those. Could you please enlighten me further.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Your software reports unusually high outgoing traffic. It may be a malware problem or it is just to paranoid. Do you have any torrent client running? That can create a lot of outgoing traffic?

Anyway, you should:

1. Scan your PC with Norton Internet Security as you already have it installed.
    2. Install Malwarebytes Antimalware Free (do not enable Free Trial) and scan your PC with it. Malwarebytes Free can work together with NIS without problems.
    If that does not fix problems try Hitman Pro. It uses Bitdefender and Kaspersky virus database to analyse your files (also scans for tracking cookes, which are not a threat, so ignore that).It should come with 30-day free trial.

A bit long but nice video about Hitman Pro:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-5Punj4A60
    Last edited by Detmek; 11th Aug 2015 at 09:29.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your software reports unusually high outgoing traffic. It may be a malware problem or it is just to paranoid. Do you have any torrent client running? That can create a lot of outgoing traffic?

Anyway, you should:

2. Install Malwarebytes Antimalware Free (do not enable Free Trial) and scan your PC with it. Malwarebytes Free can work together with NIS without problems.
    I have torrent but not used recently. Used to do scanning with NIS daily. As you have suggested, I will try Malwarebytes Antimalware Free. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shans View Post
    You could try to scan your PC with Malwarebytes Antimalware Free and Hitman Pro. Did you scan with Norton Power Eraser?
    I didn't attempt to scan with Norton Power Eraser fearing that it may damage / remove my programs as someone in this forum pointed out earlier that Norton had removed some programs without his knowledge. I have not installed Malwarbytes Antimalware in my machine so far and I do not have working knowledge about those. Could you please enlighten me further.
    If you don't trust it, then you should uninstall it and get a different product. What's the point of keeping/using something that you don't trust?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=Detmek;2404657]

Anyway, you should:

Thank you for your advice. I have installed the free home version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, scanned and detected one in the registry named as "PUP.Optional.OpenCandy". The same has been removed now. Let me see further progress.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM

Anyway, you should:

Thank you for your advice. I have installed the free home version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, scanned and detected one in the registry named as "PUP.Optional.OpenCandy". The same has been removed now. Let me see further progress.
    Quote Quote